• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Is Forgiveness Conditional?

• Members

So nobody cares that the Bible says that we are to forgive as Christ forgives and Christ only forgives those who repent? You can't have forgiveness without repentance.

Katy-Anne

With that thinking, I suppose you should die on a cross in order to forgive as Christ. I don't think anyone here, you included, takes that approach when forgiving a fellow brother/sister. Thankfully, our debt to God for our wrongdoing was paid for on the cross once and for all. But our debt to man is a different story.

Mans forgiveness to man is different than Gods forgiveness to man. They both don't follow the same plan. If they did, I would probably be selling crosses, whips, and crowns of thorns as a living since there would be so much of a demand for sacrifices.

Anyway, if someone wants to risk holding on to bitterness by refusing to forgive- that's their right. I'm just saying I believe we can forgive unconditionally, and I think that's the right thing to do- Not just for the offenders sake, but also for your hearts sake.

But this is just my opinion on the subject amongst many other ones. :tease:

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

So nobody cares that the Bible says that we are to forgive as Christ forgives and Christ only forgives those who repent? You can't have forgiveness without repentance.

Katy-Anne

I was listening to a pastor on the radio and he said that the lamb of God was slain before the foundation of the world.

The problem is that He didn't wait to be the sacrifice before we said we were sorry.

• Members

I was listening to a pastor on the radio and he said that the lamb of God was slain before the foundation of the world.

The problem is that He didn't wait to be the sacrifice before we said we were sorry.

That's completely true, but that slain Lamb will not do a person one bit of good unless they repent and accept, remember, its not automatic, one just can not assume they have forgiveness, if they do, they will wind up in hell forever.

We to, as its been said over and over, should have our arms open and be ready to forgive.

• Members

Col 3:13 Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any: even as Christ forgave you, so also do ye.

Col 2:13 And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;

The only conditions that were met for the sinner to recieve pardon from the Lord were met by Him.

Forgiveness is unconditional. There are no strings, no tricks and no conditions.

The Bible says that Christ died for us
1. WHILE WE WERE YET SINNERS.
2. UNGODLY.
3. ENEMIES.
4. UNCLEAN.
5. HAVING OUR UNDERSTANDING DARKENED.
6. CHILDREN OF DISOBEDIENCE.
7. WALKING ACCORDING TO THE POWER OF THE PRINCE OF THIS WORLD.
8. DEAD IN SINS.
9. VAIN.
10.WRETCHED.

I guess we get the picture.

Repentance is a lifetime process. I never stop repenting.
I met no conditions whatsoever to be saved.

Tit 3:5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;

We would cry aloud against a cult that would place requirements upon the grace of God, yet in our zeal to fend off what we call easy believism we play another extremism and insist upon a sinner meeting certain requirements other than that of simply being a sinner.

It is a free gift.

Rev 22:17 And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.

What was it exactly that you repented of to be saved? What is it exactly that you need to repent of today?

C'mon brethren, repentance is not a one time event. As Christians we need to repent (probably on a daily basis) over and over again.

2Co 7:10 For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death.

Heb 12:17 For ye know how that afterward, when he would have inherited the blessing, he was rejected: for he found no place of repentance, though he sought it carefully with tears.

God bless,

Calvary

• Members

The Bible makes it pretty clear that repentance is necessary for salvation:

Luke 13:3 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

Acts 20:21 Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.

Acts 26:20 But shewed first unto them of Damascus, and at Jerusalem, and throughout all the coasts of Judaea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, and do works meet for repentance.

What you are doing is setting one part of Scripture against another - all is to be taken together, rightly-divided together. If you have a conclusion that contradicts other passages - then you have the wrong conclusion. What does Hebrews 12:17 have to do with this discussion anyway - that is not referring to salvation, but referring to Esau losing the blessing and not being able to get it back.

Matthew 9:13 But go ye and learn what that meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

Luke 15:7 I say unto you, that likewise joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth, more than over ninety and nine just persons, which need no repentance.

Luke 24:47 And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.

Acts 5:31 Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.

Acts 11:18 When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.

2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

Revelation 9:20-21 And the rest of the men which were not killed by these plagues yet repented not of the works of their hands, that they should not worship devils, and idols of gold, and silver, and brass, and stone, and of wood: which neither can see, nor hear, nor walk: Neither repented they of their murders, nor of their sorceries, nor of their fornication, nor of their thefts.

Revelation 16:9-11 And men were scorched with great heat, and blasphemed the name of God, which hath power over these plagues: and they repented not to give him glory. And the fifth angel poured out his vial upon the seat of the beast; and his kingdom was full of darkness; and they gnawed their tongues for pain, And blasphemed the God of heaven because of their pains and their sores, and repented not of their deeds.

• Members

What was it exactly that you repented of in order to be saved?

What is it exactly that you need to repent of today?

Two questions that I have yet to hear folks answer honestly in a discussion about repentance and its role in the life of the believer.

God bless,

Calvary

• Members

When I was saved I repented of the life I had lived without Christ. I repented of walking outside Gods will and turned to Christ as my only hope of salvation.

As a Christian, there are times the Lord will bring to my attention a sin that is yet in my life, or a sin that has crept back in. When the Lord brings such to my attention, I repent and ask forgiveness.

• Members

When I was saved I repented of the life I had lived without Christ. I repented of walking outside Gods will and turned to Christ as my only hope of salvation.

As a Christian, there are times the Lord will bring to my attention a sin that is yet in my life, or a sin that has crept back in. When the Lord brings such to my attention, I repent and ask forgiveness.

In order to disallow such sins to creep back into our life we need to make Christ the guest of honor in our hearts (Matt. 12:43-45). Our body is a temple and the abode of the Holy Trinity, this is why it must be swept and garnished--constantly cleansed with the washing of water by the word (Eph. 5:26).

• Members

I had to repent of my breaking of God's law, of going my own way, of rebelling against God. And the Bible also lists specific sins that need to be repented of, such as idolatry, immorality (adultery and fornication), covetousness, blasphemy, stealing, drunkenness, murder, sorcery, involvement in the occult or false religion, dead works (ie. works with the motivation of earning my way to Heaven), trusting in anything else or anyone else other than Jesus to save us.

1 Corinthians 6:9-11 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God. And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

Ephesians 5:5-6 For this ye know, that no whoremonger, nor unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, hath any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God. Let no man deceive you with vain words: for because of these things cometh the wrath of God upon the children of disobedience.

Hebrews 6:1 Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God,

Yes, the Christian life is a life of repentance - God cannot use His child unless His child is walking hymbly with Him. BUT if there is not the initial repentance and turning to the Lord, you will never have the life of repentance afterward.

• Members

John81 wrote:

In order to disallow such sins to creep back into our life we need to make Christ the guest of honor in our hearts (Matt. 12:43-45). Our body is a temple and the abode of the Holy Trinity, this is why it must be swept and garnished--constantly cleansed with the washing of water by the word (Eph. 5:26).

Are you saying we can be sinless ? Or that we should strive to be sinless ?

• Members

Repentance equals a change of mind resulting in a change of conduct - specifically a change of mind about their sin and their need for a Saviour. The repentance is turning from the sin in the heart, and faith is turning to the Saviour - both go together. Without repentance, someone is truly not turning to the Saviour - and without faith in Christ, all you have is moral reformation.