• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Evolution?

• Members

Carl,
I agree. And yes it certainly does matter. I will have to say that I don't have the answer to your above post and it would probably be futile for me to try. I think that both the evolutionists and the 'creationist apologists' are stumbling in the dark to make sense out of things that none of us do or may ever comprehend. Maybe if I can just observe Nature, as I am trying to do with my little flock of sheep, and let the Mighty Creator of the Universe speak to me and tell me what He thinks is important for me to know,. I can leave the rest of the vast Universe of knowledge to Him. Because my life is surely more than half over and what little knowledge and wisdom I have allowed Him to impart to me, has been far more valuable than all I that I have been able to grasp in this world.

Thanks for the response, Heartstrings. I think I'm with you on everything you've said there. I do have a desire that people represent each others' views properly, which is why I chime in when I think an argument about something is spurious because it misrepresents the thing in question. I studied evolution at uni, so it happens that I can more usefully contribute to these conversations than many others that are totally over my head (whereupon I just read them).

That said, for my part I've tried to distance myself from these debates about natural history, because I believe that--especially as a new Christian--there are more important things I must learn and attend to first. The same as you, it's my prayer that God will speak to me and tell me what He thinks is important for me to know. Your insights are very helpful--thank you.

• 5 months later...
  • Members

This is not a matter of semantics. Take 2 like created things, male and female, animal or plant. Have them mate, and the offspring are not identical to the parents. They may be darker, lighter, taller, shorter, different patterns of hair or fur, unique fingerprints, etc. They may differ in 1 or a thousand ways.

Yet there is never a question in a sane person's mind that it is the offspring of the original pair. A cat is still a cat. A dog is still a dog. A cow is still a cow. A horse is still a horse. You don't get a catty-dog, or a cowy-horse. Each seed is after its' own kind. This is variety within the species.

The problem with The Origin of Species is that the theory believes you can get a cross between the genus, thus getting a catty-dog. That would be variety within the genus, which is an impossibility that can not be carried forward in future generations.

Semantics? Only if words (the primary way God has chosen to communicate with man) are useless as an effective tool.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Hi Trell

Thanks for your response (8 months later). Apologies if I understood your original point, although what you have written here appears to be a completely different point to the one you were making before, so maybe I'm still confused.

You just said: "The problem with The Origin of Species is that the theory believes you can get a cross between the genus, thus getting a catty-dog. That would be variety within the genus, which is an impossibility that can not be carried forward in future generations."

If you're now talking about crossing members of two species and getting hybridised offspring, then you're arguing against something everyone else believes in, whether they believe in evolution or not. There are loads of examples of crosses between species, which you label "variety within the genus", and we've even listed some of them in this thread. There are famous examples, including the pest species Spartina anglica:
http://jncc.defra.gov.uk/page-1680

All the best

Carl