• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The Repentance Issue::: revisited

• Members
Just a note folks' date=' don't bother wasting your time responding to Saul, Jerico, Nelson, Jacob, Abraham, Tammy, etc. This is all the same person who has been serial spamming our board for the past week or two. He has signed up under many different accounts as both a male and as`a female in the past week or so, and if he gets a chance he posts this sort of trash until we spot him and ban him again. Don't worry about him, he is just a troll.[/quote']

Saul makes a few good points though, don't you think? Which one's are trash?

Carrierwave~

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
They first believed
Jon 3:5 So the people of Nineveh believed God, and proclaimed a fast, and put on sackcloth, from the greatest of them even to the least of them.

...and admitted their sin
Jon 3:7 And he caused [it] to be proclaimed and published through Nineveh by the decree of the king and his nobles, saying, Let neither man nor beast, herd nor flock, taste any thing: let them not feed, nor drink water:
Jon 3:8 But let man and beast be covered with sackcloth, and cry mightily unto God: yea, let them turn every one from his evil way, and from the violence that [is] in their hands.

Then God saved.......
Jon 3:10 And God saw their works, that they turned from their evil way; and God repented of the evil, that he had said that he would do unto them; and he did [it] not.

The "works" of putting on the sackcloth etc. were only the result of what had already taken place when they repented.

The Holy Spirit convinces of sin, righteousness and judgement. Basicly all repentence is, is admitting to God that you are a wicked, hateful, vile sinner who cannot help himself. and turning to Jesus for the remedy.
You can believe there is or was a Jesus all you want to.. But Jesus died because of your sins. So if you love your sin too much to want to give it up....you didn't get saved.

Heartstrings,

Very GOOD! That is scriptural, simple, and SALVATION. I commend you in Jesus name!

Carrierwave~

P.S. Something interesting. Jonah's message from the Lord was that Nineveh would be destroyed (overthrown). "Yet forty days, and Nineveh shall be overthrown." God never said HE would spare the city; only that it would be destroyed. The King of Nineveh is the one who proclaimed the fast in sackcloth and ashes and commanded everyone to turn from their wicked living.

The King said: "Who can tell if God will turn and repent, and turn away from his fierce anger, that we perish not? " Thank God for His MERCY!

Notice, we have God "repenting". He "reversed a decision He had previously made". God did not "turn from sin". HE "changed His Mind".

GREAT POST HEARTSTRINGS!!

Saul makes a few good points though, don't you think?

No. Anyone who behaves(lies, breaking board rules etc.) and speaks as he has is simply making the point that he is either unsaved or walking very greatly in the flesh.

Notice, we have God "repenting". He "reversed a decision He had previously made". God did not "turn from sin". HE "changed His Mind".

God did not just "change his mind" when he repented toward them, his heart changed toward and sorrowed for them. That is part of repentance which you miss. We see that here in another place where God "repented":

"Genesis 6:6 And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart."

God did not "change his mind" about making man, or else with his for knowledge of all he never would have done so. However, it certainly did make him sorry.

With the heart man believeth unto righteousness. To teach that someone can be saved when their heart is not willing to be right with God is a false teaching. I had hoped, and still hope that isn't what you are teaching, but it is looking more and more that way. If that isn't what you are saying please feel free to clarify.

• Members

My point of course, and is proved by the "scripture" that you have given, (not your explanations) is the abuse and false teaching surrounding the word "repent". There is an insistence here by many (excluding Heartstrings) that repentance means to "turn from sinning". You are inconsistent and are denying God's definition of the very Word itself. I am not going to go back and quote you and others; the post are there. But this last instance you cannot possibly contend that when God "repented" that HE TURNED FROM SINNING.
CORRECT, SETH?

A careful study of the "Mind" and "Heart" in The Word God is they are used interchangeably, and that the heart is also "deceitful above all things and desparately wicked; WHO CAN KNOW IT". I have much more to comment on this at a later time.

Carrierwave~

• Members

Heartstrings,

Very GOOD! That is scriptural, simple, and SALVATION. I commend you in Jesus name!

Carrierwave~

P.S. Something interesting. Jonah's message from the Lord was that Nineveh would be destroyed (overthrown). "Yet forty days, and Nineveh shall be overthrown." God never said HE would spare the city; only that it would be destroyed. The King of Nineveh is the one who proclaimed the fast in sackcloth and ashes and commanded everyone to turn from their wicked living.

The King said: "Who can tell if God will turn and repent, and turn away from his fierce anger, that we perish not? " Thank God for His MERCY!

You need to examine the latter doctrine above before you lay any brick and mortar. You can let God know what you find.

• Members

Many words have been spoken and written in effort to explain repentance.....doubtful mine would do much good but here are few: First though let me clarify something I saw in a post.... the heart and the mind being said to be 'interchangeable'. I offer that Christ didn't think so - see Mark 12:30 where He included them both when saying what we are do...love the Lord thy God with all thy.... heart....and mind. These are not the same. Yes, some verses elaborate on the little understood fact that the heart has a sort of mind of its own..."the thoughts of the heart...." for example.

Next - I offer not that there are things that must be done "before" one can believe on Christ Jesus. Nor do I say, contrary to scripture, that repentance is an ACT or intention to QUIT sinning which must be manifested verbally before one can be saved by believing. Rather, I hold the view that Salvation is at all times accompanied by a penitent heart that has realized its lost condition, has in some way realized its need for salvation and that "saving faith" is that level or depth (for lack of better terminology) which goes beyond mere acknowledging of God's gift....but has trusted on it.

Paul preached Salvation as inclusive of repentance..... Acts 20:21

It seems where the friction lies here in the thread, is in the contention by some that repentance must be done and THEN a person can believe to the saving of his soul. But thats not it at all.....rather, the doctrine is that in saving faith repentance is inclusive, felt and manifested within the heart of the believer in that instant of accepting by grace through faith the gift of redemption.

Throughout the scriptures, both OT & NT, sorrow over sin has been commanded, demanded, required and encouraged.... "Let the wicked forsake HIS way, and the unrighteous man HIS thoughts; and let him return unto the Lord". [Not merely the backslidden, but all they who left God's presence through the sin of Adam]. Does this mean salvation must be accompanied by professions of never sinning again? Of course not....how foolish. What this and many, many other verses setting repentance forth DO establish is that a man who claims to "believe" but has not felt sorrow for sin nor acknowledged guilt before God, has not believed unto salvation.... devils and rocks believe God is....that Jesus is....and even they acknowledge Christ Jesus as the Son of the Most high.... this is a wonderful truth, but so clear and plain that to acknowledge this truth is no great achievement (as James said)..... This is to be Baptized in water...without getting saved (the Baptism of John)..... but true Baptism is that within the heart by the Holy Spirit.....the ONE BAPTISM... Ephesians 4.

Lastly may I offer the bungling thought that God granted salvation unto the gentiles in Acts 10 and the scriptures tell us that this salvation was "repentance unto life" Acts 11:18.

No conviction (that says much to repentance itself) no conversion, no repentance = no salvation, no sorrow...no sin. I dare say the truth of God and Jesus Christ is so manifest that could I speak dog, even my dog would acknowledge these to be true....but did my dog admit the truth of these, does that save him? He believes them to be true....yes all things acknowledge this truth so manifestly plain is it.

But no, mere acknowledgment of the truth (belief of its authenticity) is not a saving faith and reliance IN the truth. Paul said in Ephesians 1:11 & 12 (which see) "....we who first trusted in Christ. Note how he has clarified that we trusted in rather than merely believing it to be true that Jesus Christ is....

But perhaps one here can better explain it.....

• Members

Heartstrings,

Carrierwave~

Luk 11:30 For as Jonas was a sign unto the Ninevites, so shall also the Son of man be to this generation.

No, it doesn't say that He would spare the city. But that was His desire, and It was God who initiated the process. God sent Jonah to warn them, Jonah tried to run, then it was God who took measures to make sure Jonah complied. Therefore, God had already proved that he did not want to destroy them. God's desire all along, was for Nineveh to be saved. I beleive God saw their need and had compassion on them. Bit It was up to them. They were convicted. And I believe they repented and believed at the same time.
Just like the Ninevites were, we are condemned already. They were headed for certain destruction, we are headed for destruction. Condemned already.

Jhn 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
Jhn 3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
Jhn 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

Many people say they "believe" there is a Jesus. But they have not invited Him into their heart.
It's basicly turning to Jesus from your wicked self. It's not an "act" or "work", it's simple faith. Many refuse to do that. But when you do that; when you realize that you are a wicked condemned sinner, and you realize that Jesus is real and He loves you so much and you trust Jesus to save you from your sin, Jesus will come into your heart. You are then instantly indwelled with the Holy Ghost; A new creature. But a lost man, who says "no" to that, knows that he will have to give up his sin. Yes we are all sinners, but unlike a lost man who can go on in sin without any chastisement, the sanctification process begins in a saved person and he will continue to repent of wrong things he does. God begins conforming him to the image of Christ. I wish I could explain it better, but I don't understand it all myself. All I know is what happened to me.

• Members

Read and study the scriptures and you will find out what God knows too.

The doctrine you may want to refresh is the one surrounding your statement..."Notice, we have God "repenting". He "reversed a decision He had previously made". God did not "turn from sin". HE "changed His Mind"."

In particular... (HE "changed His Mind".")

I know He didn't change His mind about my salvation.