• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Problem with Passage Matt 9:17 in KJV

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

[quote="cbailey"]
hmmmm.... I need to get one of these Websters 1828 Dictionaries... Are they available?
[/quote]

It is available on the top of this page. Click [i]Bible/Dictionary Search.[/i]

[quote]
Oh, that was a good shot.
[/quote]

Actually it was not a shot at all. I have many questions that I want to ask too.

• Members

An interesting point I would like to make is that the Koine greek, the Hebrew, and the Aramaic:

Koine greek= dead language (not changing)
Hebrew= Zionist Jews have kept this language relatively pure
Aramaic= dead language (not changing)

All of the NT was written in Koine greek and that is where most all of the attacks are coming from. So when you doubt your understanding of a word in the english because is changing every day, then there isn't a problem going back to the greek, hebrew, or aramaic to clear things up and get a better understanding.

What I like about the KJV is the honesty involved when translating. The king of England told these 54 scholars that on penalty of death, they had to translate as accurate to the original languages as possible. When a word didn't exist in the original language they put those words in [i]italics[/i] so it would be clear that word was only implied to make the english grammer work properly, but wasn't in the original languages.

All of the MVs since the RV have been off-shoots of the RV which was translated by Wescott and Hort who were evolutionists and didn't believe God's word was inspired or preserved. They also had no problem using corrupt manuscripts.

• Members

There are also words in the KJV which are inserted to match the context, but are not in the original. They are the ones in [brackets] in concordances.

[color=magenta]The neighbours therefore, and they which before had seen him that he was blind, said, Is not this he that sat and begged? Some [said], This is he: others said, He is like him: [but] he said, I am [he].(John 9:8,9)[/color]

If we remove 'he' then we have the beggar saying the predicateless 'I am' which is the title Jesus used when the Jews wanted to stone him. But some of you already know this.

Love,
Madeline

• Members

[quote="Madeline"]
There are also words in the KJV which are inserted to match the context, but are not in the original. They are the ones in [brackets] in concordances.

[color=magenta]The neighbours therefore, and they which before had seen him that he was blind, said, Is not this he that sat and begged? Some [said], This is he: others said, He is like him: [but] he said, I am [he].(John 9:8,9)[/color]

If we remove 'he' then we have the beggar saying the predicateless 'I am' which is the title Jesus used when the Jews wanted to stone him. But some of you already know this.

Love,
Madeline
[/quote]

Hi Madeline,

Yes I have noticed that but I appreciate you bringing it up! :)

• Members

[quote="JJJ4given"]
An interesting point I would like to make is that the Koine greek, the Hebrew, and the Aramaic:

Koine greek= dead language (not changing)
Hebrew= Zionist Jews have kept this language relatively pure
Aramaic= dead language (not changing)

All of the NT was written in Koine greek and that is where most all of the attacks are coming from. So when you doubt your understanding of a word in the english because is changing every day, then there isn't a problem going back to the greek, hebrew, or aramaic to clear things up and get a better understanding.

What I like about the KJV is the honesty involved when translating. The king of England told these 54 scholars that on penalty of death, they had to translate as accurate to the original languages as possible. When a word didn't exist in the original language they put those words in [i]italics[/i] so it would be clear that word was only implied to make the english grammer work properly, but wasn't in the original languages.

All of the MVs since the RV have been off-shoots of the RV which was translated by Wescott and Hort who were evolutionists and didn't believe God's word was inspired or preserved. They also had no problem using corrupt manuscripts.
[/quote]

Aramaic isn't a dead language. There is still a group of peoples in the Middle East who speak Aramaic.

• Members

[quote="Madeline"]

Love,
Madeline
[/quote]

They are in italics in my KJV.

• Members

[quote="lettheredeemedsayso"]
I think Ezra is trying to determine what you are trusting in for your salvation? Many people are trusting in their keeping the commandments and attending church and doing good works for their eternal security.
[/quote]

I can only guess that this inquiry is directed toward 'me' but If I am in error I ask your pardon.

I believe, as the Apostle Paul is clear to point to the Ephesians 2:8, [i]"For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:"[/i]

I also believe, that a life in Christ produces visible fruit in which testifies to one's master. My state of salvation is not something which I've earned neither it is something which verbal ascent can claim with affirmations. It is either through the Grace of God that we are saved or it is not. No manner of claims ultimately seal our salvation in my humble opinion. I can appreciate others attempts to affirm such a state to themselves and others but I question their motivation? Are they simply attempting to please man or God? I don't know but I have often chaffed at the sight of others affirming their own Salvation but if such a glorified state is the will of God for me then it is so reguardless if I affirm it or not and if it is not then I trust that God has a reason for my being even if it is not for my own personal salvation. Either way we find ourselves in that precarious position of trusting in the Almighty. As uncomfortable and humbling it is... so we are.

[i]Boast not thyself of tomorrow; for thou knowest not what a day may bring forth.[/i] - Proverbs 27:1

I trust in His Promise that in His Son we are saved. I pray that I am counted in that number but regardless it is in my nature to strive to please God in whatever means that I am able and so I seek ever to obey His Commandments. Amen.

• Members

[quote="chev1958"]
So, just to be sure I understand what you're saying - you're not sure of your salvation? Are you saying there's no way to know for sure you're on your way to heaven?

Mitch
[/quote]

If I might point back to the words of the Apostle Paul:

"For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:"

If truly we are [i]'by grace saved through faith'[/i] and such grace 'is the gift of God' it is by God's Will that we are saved and not our own; [i]'not as I will, but as thou wilt'[/i]. Such was spoken by our Saviour in the Garden of Gethsemane. I mark these words of our Saviour as a key to Sonship with our Heavenly Father. It is in our abandonment of our will that the divine will is revealed. If such an affirmation of security is voiced not out of a true trust and faith in our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ then it is merely a willful desire or willful affirmation hallow of any truth and so merits no value. If such affirmation of security is voiced out of a sincere faith borne in truth in our Lord and Saviour then is as the Apostle Paul spoke [i]'the righteousness which is of God by faith'[/i]...

[i]'That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death; If by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead. Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus. Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before. I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.'[/i] - Philippians 3:10-14

I have placed my hope in our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. If truly my name is found within the Book of Life when I stand before our maker I will sit beside him in glory. Amen.

I do not refute the security of those whose names are bound within the Book of Life. What God has begun, God can surely finish but I see far too many saying

• Members

Scripture teaches us that when we are saved that our name is written in the Lamb's Book of Life.
When we place our trust in the shed blood of Calvary for the payment for all our sins past, present and future by God's awesome grace scripture teaches us that we can [b]know[/b]that we have eternal life. It is at this time that we enter into His rest.

1Jo 5:13 These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.

Hbr 4:10 For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God [did] from his.

• Members

[quote]
I have placed my hope in our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. If truly my name is found within the Book of Life when I stand before our maker I will sit beside him in glory. Amen.
[/quote]

How truly troubling it must be to say "If truly my name is found within the Book of Life". There are a lot of things I say if about but as far as my name being in the Book of Life, I can say, I KNOW truly name is found within the Book of Life.

• Members

[quote="lettheredeemedsayso"]
Scripture teaches us that when we are saved that our name is written in the Lamb's Book of Life.
[/quote]

When are our names written in the Book of Life? Are you sure you want to ascert at the moment we are 'saved'?

[quote]
When we place our trust in the shed blood of Calvary for the payment for all our sins past, present and future by God's awesome grace scripture teaches us that we can [b]know[/b]that we have eternal life. It is at this time that we enter into His rest.
[/quote]

I believe before the beginning of time those who will be saved were known and thus appear in the Book of Life. There are others who are under the delusion that they are saved and will cry "Lord, Lord" on the Day of Judgment.

[quote]
1Jo 5:13 These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.
[/quote]

As I have stated I put my trust in Jesus Christ but such trust can only be judged by me subjectively and with a great deal of bias on my part. It is ultimately God who saves and so it is God who chooses whom to save neither me nor my affirmation without God