• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Cowards-The Repentance Lie

Guest Guest

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
NO! ONE MUST REPENT TO BE SAVED IS NOT BIBLE REPENTANCE!

Lazarus, must one believe on Christ for salvation? (I think you'd say yes.) How can a person believe if he doesn't change his mind first? Is not belief itself an indication of repentance, or changing one's mind?

Let's flesh this out here. One moment, a person is (fill in the blanks with any of the following):
thinking he's a pretty good person
trusting in his works to save him
not even believing in God
wondering whether he should believe in Christ
hating the gospel
etc.

The next moment, he has changed his mind about what he believes; he has changed his thinking: he has repented. He has decided to believe on Christ instead of thinking the way he had thought before. He has decided to believe what God says about sin (and hell and righteousness and salvation) rather than "leaning on his own understanding." This is a change; it is different than the way he thought before. What is so hard to understand about this? It seems like you are playing a game with semantics here. If the word repent does indeed mean "to change," then that is what HAS to happen if anyone is even to believe on Christ. The belief itself IS the change of heart.

It looks like you are defining repentance as "cleaning up your life," or "acting different." That is not repentance at all. Why do you define it that way? That's not how anyone on here is defining it.

• Members

Who exactly do I believe you or God's word. God commands us to repent, and Jesus began His ministry teaching us to repent. You say it's a work to repent, I say it's a gift of God. What does God say?

Acts 17:30 And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:
Matthew 4:17 From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.
2 Timothy 2:25 In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;

I know salvation is of faith but, God thought it very important for us to repent. So, I'll go with God.

You try to ignore that God commands repentance, don't you?

• Members

While I think that TOO much focus is placed on repentance in some circles, I think it is important. Can you believe in Christ without repenting? Turning FROM the world and a life of sin TO Christ and a Christ-like life IS repentance.

Repentance, the kind that is focused upon too much, in my opinion, is that of visible repentance--a work. A lot of IFBers want to see the "change" of life before the belief and subsequent salvation takes place. God doesn't save the righteous. He saves sinners. Plenty of sinners have repented. They have turned over a new leaf without getting saved.

Mormons, as a whole, live much more Christ-like lives than most Christians. Are they saved?

Hell is currently filled with screams of righteous men known as Pharisees. Jesus Himself recognized their righteousness (of course indicating that righteousness would get them nowhere). They repented of their sins constantly--they prayed for forgiveness for the sins they committed in their dreams! Yet, they didn't BELIEVE. If only Christians today, myself included, would take their beliefs as seriously as the Pharisees did! They were hypocrites, you say? How many Christians would dare stand before Christ today and claim not to be a hypocrite?

Even Paul said he was a "Pharisee of the Parisees!" All his righteousness, all his works including repentance, got him nowhere. Coming face to face with Christ (literally in Paul's case) and believing in Him is what saved him. Show me where Paul apologized, asked forgiveness, or even admitted his sins while he was standing before Christ. Please, show me. Show me where he recited the "Sinner's Prayer". ????? What was Pauls first recorded word in God's infallable KJV Bible? "Who art thou LORD?" BAM! Recognition, belief, salvation! Or, was Paul not saved until he met with the disciples and they "confirmed" him? No. Ananias greeted him as "Brother Saul..."Their belief in his salvation had nothing to do with his salvation--that's why this belief by many today that "he's not saved until I witness "repentance"" burns me up.

It's pretty obvious that Paul repented. It was evident in the life he lived after being saved.

As far as repentance AT the point of salvation goes, believing in Jesus IS repentance. The result of this repentance, the Christ-like life, comes AFTER the belief in Christ.

Just as there are two "types" (if you will) of repentance, there are two types of belief. Belief (as in knowledge of) doesn't save you--the devil believes in Christ. Belief in WHO Christ is, what He did, why He did it, and that He is powerful enough TO do it is what saves you.

For God so love the world....that whosoever believeth...
For by GRACE are ye saved, through FAITH....it is the GIFT of God

If we say or trust in Jesus Christ, plus "X", it is a false gospel and has absolutely NO saving power. It's Jesus ONLY or hellbound period.

Hambone,you almost have it.
Annie,"The next,he has changed his mind about what he believes"...But first,he "believes"something different!,are you not listening?Some one,has played antics and semantics with you and bewitched you,and concerning the "faith" ye do err.Now you are all mixed up in circlular reasoning,tring to set some,one deffinition to "repent" A man must first believe the report...thus,"belief" brings fourth a change of heart.
( The Preacher of one wife and four boys.....every good and perfect gift is from above )
1Tim guy,I have already reproved you, using all the verses you use.In addition,I have produced six times more scripture.I have shown that "believe" is mentioned 90 times in the gospel of John and "repent" is mentioned NONE!( the same amount of verses you have to prove your view ) I have compared spiritual with spiritual,proving Bible with Bible,leaving you with questions you can't answer.
You claim to "believe" Gods Words,yet you don't hear His Words....you ignore,..."Worthy Is The Lamb"!!!
Yes!"great things doeth he,which we cannot comprehend",but "how to get saved" is not one of them.
Fill your mind with the mind of Christ and stop being addlepated!

He who hath an ear let him hear

• Members

Annie,"The next,he has changed his mind about what he believes"...But first,he "believes"something different!,are you not listening?Some one,has played antics and semantics with you and bewitched you,and concerning the "faith" ye do err.Now you are all mixed up in circlular reasoning,tring to set some,one deffinition to "repent" A man must first believe the report...thus,"belief" brings fourth a change of heart.

Lazarus, wouldn't you say that his "believing the report" indicates a change of heart and mind? Let's say that I am witnessing to someone who has lots of arguments against the gospel. He loves living in sin; he thinks that because he is "a good person," God will "give him a break" and take him to heaven. He talks about how all the Christians he knows are hypocrites, anyway. What would it take for this person to become a believer in Christ? He would have to repent--to change his mind--about the gospel. In order to get saved, he would have to believe what GOD says about sin (that it sends a person to hell). He would have to admit that what he thought before was WRONG in order to believe the RIGHT--the basic "right knowledge" about the gospel that everyone must know in order to be saved. In that sense, he would be repenting.

In the book of Jonah, God "repented" of the judgment He was going to do against Ninevah. We know that God has never sinned. Repentance is not just "turning from sin," although it can mean that. The basic definition of repent is "to change." It is to go in a different direction than one has been going up until that point. Belief in Christ is an expression of this kind of change in direction.

If you are asking if a person "must repent" (as in, he must change his actions--clean up his life, desire to do right, etc.) BEFORE he is saved, then my answer would be no...how could he do this except with the power of the Holy Spirit? Repentance is something that happens AS a person is saved. If a person is truly saved, there will be a turning away from "old man" actions to "new man" behavior.

I don't think we should be getting so technical...Repentance is a fruit of salvation. It occurs AS someone is getting saved, as well as continually AFTER that person is saved.

• Members

Repentence is the state of being grieved over what you are........a hopeless, wicked sinner,
recognizing that you are so wicked that you deserve Hell......
and in your heart, you agree with God that you deserve it.
and simply turning to Jesus in faith, to save you.

God brought me to the end of my rope
I had Godly sorrow; I was grieved over my wicked self, and my wicked life
BY faith I believed God's word that there was a Hell
By faith I believed God's word that I deserved to go there
By faith I believed God loved me and sent His son just for me.
By faith I called out His holy name, JESUS, for help

It's all in the heart.......
If you simply ask God to save you, but in your heart you still think you are a "pretty good guy", you are not ready to get saved. In order for someone to be "saved", he/she must realize there is something to be saved FROM.
You, sir, personally DESERVE to go to Hell and burn there forever, screaming there for eternity because of what you are...a proud, hideously wicked, vile person, and you are trying to teach false doctrine. That puts you in very grave danger. Better wake up, friend.
1Ti 4:1 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;

(Luke 13:3) - "I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish."
(Luke 13:5) - "I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish."
(Mark 6:12) - "And they went out, and preached that men should repent."

(Acts 3:19-21) - "Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord; {20} And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you: {21} Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began."

(Acts 17:30-31) - "And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent: {31} Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead."
God bless,
Crushmaster.

Why keep embarassing yourself?! I have already refuted all your arguements by using all the verses in the Bible
with the word "repent".I proved that at best,you can claim "repent unto salvation" because of unbelief,only!
Still the first event is hearing Gods Word,then Believing!, happens next....You are only circular reasoning Truth and making God out as a liar.You could say certain precepts of "repent" are necessary within the salvation experience,but it is err concerning the "Faith" to claim it the condition.Ultimately,(even if you are a "believer") many are led into a "works salvation". ( Doing more harm then good )
After leaving you with the same amount of verses as your ability to produce the word "repent" in the gospel of John,I supplied six times more verses,and left you last time with questions you can't explain away....
Bottom Line!God don't agree with you!!!!!!!

Preach Repentance,God commands it.....but concerning the gospel,"Thy FAITH hath saved thee"!!!!!!
Don't fustrate the Grace of God and make the law of grace none effect.