• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Homeschool Vs Christian School

• Members

We have homeschooled for 20 years, sometimes exclusively, and sometimes with some of the children in a Christian school. Five kids, 5 different outcomes, same family.

I also see the products of home school/Christian school/public school in my junior church class. No doubt, the worldliest are the public school kids, but that could be because of the parents.

We have an active homeschool group and I see how the children are a reflection of their home life. What I do not see in our homeschool group are any sassy kids. I think the parents in our group are very motivated, organized and committed to a good education for their children. I would expect their children to excell in a Christian school setting because the parents are dedicated to training up their children.

We had dozen boys at an activity at our house. The boys were in grades 6-8. After a few hours of intense physical activity (air soft gun war) the boys came in to eat and recharge. One boy looked through our tapes and asked if they could watch No Deposit, No Return (an older movie with Don Knotts in it). Four boys walked to the phone and stood in line, waiting their turn to make a call. A few other boys asked the lined-up boys what they were doing. Each one said he was calling home for permission to watch the movie. The questioners accepted that with a simple, "Oh," and off they went. To me, that was an example of what our group of boys are like. Some have stricter rules than others, but all seem to expect the parents to be the final authority.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

We have homeschooled for 20 years, sometimes exclusively, and sometimes with some of the children in a Christian school. Five kids, 5 different outcomes, same family.

I also see the products of home school/Christian school/public school in my junior church class. No doubt, the worldliest are the public school kids, but that could be because of the parents.

We have an active homeschool group and I see how the children are a reflection of their home life. What I do not see in our homeschool group are any sassy kids. I think the parents in our group are very motivated, organized and committed to a good education for their children. I would expect their children to excell in a Christian school setting because the parents are dedicated to training up their children.

We had dozen boys at an activity at our house. The boys were in grades 6-8. After a few hours of intense physical activity (air soft gun war) the boys came in to eat and recharge. One boy looked through our tapes and asked if they could watch No Deposit, No Return (an older movie with Don Knotts in it). Four boys walked to the phone and stood in line, waiting their turn to make a call. A few other boys asked the lined-up boys what they were doing. Each one said he was calling home for permission to watch the movie. The questioners accepted that with a simple, "Oh," and off they went. To me, that was an example of what our group of boys are like. Some have stricter rules than others, but all seem to expect the parents to be the final authority.

Amen!!! Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience. :amen:

• 1 month later...

Wow! I've read some great perspectives, here. I have public schooled and Christian schooled my kids and am now homeschooling. I have posted some links on my website to some sermons about homeschooling:
Pastor Anderson in Arizona has an interesting perspective on the subjec,t and you can download his sermons as mp3s or as podcasts if you are an iTunes user. It's all free and I hope it will be a help to you.

Alen,
I am surprised that one would compare homeschooling to communism. Let's just put everyone together in a classroom and then dumb down the curriculum to suit the lowest common denominator. THAT sounds like communism to me. You mention kids needing a male role model. Most Christian school teachers are females, anyway. My husband is my kids' male role model, and they're with him every evening after work. If you take your kids to church three times a week, then they will have plenty of friends. I prefer not to use the word SOCIALIZED.

• Members

I am active in the homeschooling of my sons.(John81)

This is exactly why homeschooling is working for you. Families where the mother does all the teaching plus household duties it puts an undo strain on the family. Unless she is supermom, like my mom was. It does not work so well for these families and leads to one overstressed wife. In this situation, christian school is the way to go.

• Members

I am a product of a public School.
My children have gone to a Christian School and are being home schooled.
My wife has a masters degree in education and has taught a number of grades in different Christian Schools.

With all of that said, home schooling is not for everyone. Christian school is not for everyone. Public school is not for anyone.

What does it take to teach children properly at home?
Start with parents who are properly motivated. Motivated to be properly trained to teach children the different subjects. Some will ask, "How difficult is it to teach children how to read?" The answer is: Very difficult to properly teach them all of the phonics necessary to give them a solid foundation so that they will be able to read and spell. We have met many parents who think that school can be done whenever and we can teach whatever we want. We have met others that don't believe in testing their children. Home school is school. It needs to be taken with a serious approach and with the proper training. If you are not willing to receive this proper training (it doesn't have to be a 4 year school education), then do not attempt to teach children.

Next: You must have a curriculum. Many take the approach that they will go with whatever is the cheapest out there. They will go spend thousands of dollars on going out to eat, but they "cannot afford" to spend what it takes to purchase the best curriculum available. I know there are many curriculums out there, but many of these curriculums aren't worth the paper they are printed on. So as to not offend anyone, I will not mention them by name.

Third: You must stay focused. I have met parents who started well and have made it through 1/2 the school year and then got overwhelmed with the second half. We have found that the beginning and end of the school years are the hardest to stay focuses. Again, it takes determination that your children's education is the most important thing.

Finally: It takes support. Many wives are doing it all. They are expected to teach the children, keep the house, do the laundry, go grocery shopping, and be the wife to their husbands. Can it succeed this way, yes, with a very dedicated woman. In most cases it results in marriage trouble. It takes the husband and wife being dedicated to this. The husband must take on more responsiblities when he gets home from work. He must take the children and give his wife free time. He must do the laundry and the dishes (gasp-woman's jobs).

If you are not willing to do this, then do not home school your children. If you are not willing to do this, then put your children in a Christian School.

• Members

When the children were younger they required more parental involvement. Now that they are older, they need less.

Our oldest son, 13, does his work on his own each day. When his work is finished I check it. If he has a spelling test or is ready for a unit or final test, he lets me know and I give it to him.

For the most part, our 13 year old is taking care of his own schooling. Of course, if he has questions or needs assistance he asks and we help, but this is rare now.