• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Bring your guns to church

• Members

Again, if asked to be a member of a security team while performing parking lot duty I will prepare for that duty my pastor has entrusted to me.

Ok, those who take their guns to church...take them...those who don't...don't take them.

The Lord can tell us what he meant when we see him.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I'm really surprised that some in here apparently think it a spirtiual thing that if someone comes into your church or home blasting away you shouldn't do anything about it but die.

Luke 22:35-38

"35": And he said unto them, When I sent you without purse, and scrip, and shoes, lacked ye any thing? And they said, Nothing.

"36": Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

"37": For I say unto you, that this that is written must yet be accomplished in me, And he was reckoned among the transgressors: for the things concerning me have an end.

"38": And they said, Lord, behold, here are two swords. And he said unto them, It is enough.

• Members
I'm really surprised that some in here apparently think it a spirtiual thing that if someone comes into your church or home blasting away you shouldn't do anything about it but die.

Luke 22:35-38

"35": And he said unto them, When I sent you without purse, and scrip, and shoes, lacked ye any thing? And they said, Nothing.

"36": Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

"37": For I say unto you, that this that is written must yet be accomplished in me, And he was reckoned among the transgressors: for the things concerning me have an end.

"38": And they said, Lord, behold, here are two swords. And he said unto them, It is enough.

If they do, them perhaps I will graduate to heaven, there sure be a lot worse things that could happen to a person.

By the way, we are taking about church, our home was not included in my post. Big difference between home and church, or at least it is with us.

• Members
Right, trust in God, Peter should have trusted in God and not have pulled the sword out and its quite clear, you live by the sword, you died by the sword, so why live by it?

Let me see, I will pray for God's protection for my trip to church and our church service, but just in case He might fail me I will take my shooting irons with me. Yes, that is really trusting God isn't it?

Not taking precautions when you are able to do so could be considered tempting the Lord. I ask for protection when I drive my car too, does that mean I am not trusting God if I wear a seatbelt and avoid driving on bald tires?

No. I would not have nothing to do with a church that is full of gun toting people, they just do not sound like meek, peaceful, and harmless people

For one thing I imagine you have have been in more than one church with "gun toting people" without having any knowledge of it, it is very common, and for another thing you rarely come across as a meek, peaceful, and harmless person yourself. Dare I say you usually sound quite the opposite in most of your posts. If you are such a strong supporter of meekness at all times to the point that you would not only do nothing yourself to stop someone intent on harming loved ones and church members illegally but also condemn those that would and claim they are ungodly for doing so, then perhaps it would be wise to pray about your manner of posting. As it is I find it a little humorous and a little sad that one of the people who seems to have some of the most consistently unmeek posts on a wide range of topics should be speaking to others of how important it is to be meek even unto death at all times. I could respect your position a little more if you were meek yourself in your manner of speech. No offense brother, maybe this is a blind spot with you, we all have them with myself being no exception, but you may want to consider this as I think it hurts your witness and credibility a good deal. :2cents

• Members

Not taking precautions when you are able to do so could be considered tempting the Lord. I ask for protection when I drive my car too, does that mean I am not trusting God if I wear a seatbelt and avoid driving on bald tires?

For one thing I imagine you have have been in more than one church with "gun toting people" without having any knowledge of it, it is very common, and for another thing you rarely come across as a meek, peaceful, and harmless person yourself. Dare I say you usually sound quite the opposite in most of your posts. If you are such a strong supporter of meekness at all times to the point that you would not only do nothing yourself to stop someone intent on harming loved ones and church members illegally but also condemn those that would and claim they are ungodly for doing so, then perhaps it would be wise to pray about your manner of posting. As it is I find it a little humorous and a little sad that one of the people who seems to have some of the most consistently unmeek posts on a wide range of topics should be speaking to others of how important it is to be meek even unto death at all times. I could respect your position a little more if you were meek yourself in your manner of speech. No offense brother, maybe this is a blind spot with you, we all have them with myself being no exception, but you may want to consider this as I think it hurts your witness and credibility a good deal. :2cents

So trusting in God is now tempting him? Sorry, but your 100% wrong. I'm doing no more than:

Dan 3:16 Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, answered and said to the king, O Nebuchadnezzar, we are not careful to answer thee in this matter.

Dan 3:17 If it be so, our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the burning fiery furnace, and he will deliver us out of thine hand, O king.

Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego did, they said "our God who we serve is able to deliver us from the burning fiery furnace, and he will deliver us to God."

Your ought not condemn those who trust in the Lord thy God.

In fact we have numerous examples in the Bible of people trusting God to deliver them, and as I said, it I'm killed in such a situation God will still take care of me.

Why is it so hard for you to trust God 100% them condemn those who do even to the point you say they have no credibility?

At present time its against the law to carry a concealed hand gun into a church service in the state of Arkansas, there was talk of changing this recently, but I don't know if they have yet done so, so if I've been in a church service where someone was carrying a concealed weapon they were breaking the law of our government and thus sinning against God by disobeying those in authority over them.

• Members
John,
One difference is that they were being persecuted by the government which has authority from God. That is different than an individual that is acting without authority and outside the law. If the government came to our churches and started arresting people I would not advocate a shootout, but that is a great deal different than stopping a crazy person threating or injuring people and committing a crime by the law of the land.

In response to Jerry, Mat 26:52 is speaking of trusting in "the sword" for deliverance as it would seem peter was. Scripture is clear that our trust should be in God not weapons as even the OT states. That does not preclude their use however. Peter was acting hastily and outside of Gods will. Jesus told him that if he had need "help" he could have called more than twelve legions of angels but scripture needed to be fulfilled in this case. In [bible]Luke 22:36[/bible] just before the passage you quote in Mat 26:52 Jesus says to his disciples if they didn't have a sword they should now sell their garment and buy one. I believe this is teaching that we should try to be prepared. A sword has no peaceful purpose, the only reason to have one is for attack or defense. From your point of view why did Jesus tell his disciples to sell their garment and buy a sword if it would never have a legitimate use?

The government was not the only source of persecution and sometimes not the source at all. Scripture gives several examples of Jews, merchants and others targetting Christians. What does Scripture say the response of the Christians was?

• Members
No. I would not have nothing to do with a church that is full of gun toting people, they just do not sound like meek, peaceful, and harmless people.

FWIW, you may be surprised to know how many people carry guns. From my experience, meek, peaceful and harmless is a perfect description of most folks who carry a weapon. Because they are so meek, peaceful and harmless they never let you know they have their gun, content to be quietly prepared, but begging God that they would never have to use it.

• Members
Guns have no place in a place of worship' date=' unless carried by a trained law enforcement officer. This is terrible, and I believe goes against the direct teachings of Jesus to be peacemakers.[/quote']

Trust me, we peaceable licensed gun carrying people are everywhere. "But why do you feel a need to carry a gun," you ask? "Because it is my right under the constitution of the United States, and I am exercising my right and there is no other reason needed," I answer.

Have a good day..... :wave:

• Administrators

I am not a gun carrying person yet, but I see no problem with people that do. In fact some of the most peaceable people I have ever met in my life were gun carrying people. I never knew they were carrying until they told me. I was shocked at some of them when they told me, they were so sweet, kind, and non confrontational, that I could not believe they carried.

It is an American right under the constitution and it should stay that way.

• Administrators

I think this is sad, quite honestly...a three-ring circus in the place set aside for worship of God--not political demonstrations, raffles, patriotic music, and lessons on gun safety. The job of the church is not to make political statements, but to bring people to Christ and edify the saints. I would have no problem with the above event if it were not church-sponsored or held on church grounds. I see nothing wrong with Christians as individuals participating in such an event; it sounds like fun, and it does emphasize an important truth. It just sends the wrong message to a world who is already confused about what churches are supposed to be doing. It is confusing at best, and inappropriate at worst.

Good post, Annie. This is exactly right.

As far as the questions about the early church...it has been pointed out that Jesus told His disciples to buy swords. Then, later, He said those who live by them die by them. Was that a contradiction? No, of course not. But I do think it fits in here - they were to have their swords, but use wisdom and discernment with them.

We know that there many martyrs, and we know that there continue to be, and will be soon here in America. But at this current time, we are still guaranteed in our Constitution the right to bear arms. Take that right away, and we lose the teeth to enforce the other rights...like the right to practice our religious beliefs.

Yes, we are to trust in God. No Christian gun owner I know (and I know many, many) would ever say otherwise. But, just as much as the walls of our homes are there to shelter us at night, and keep out the animals and criminals, so too are guns available for men to protect their families. And if they want to take them to church, I really don't see a problem with that. If people interrupt services with guns, someone with an "equalizer" can do a lot or protecting. Yes, if a Christian is killed, that person will go to Heaven. But if they aren't killed, they can continue working for Christ here on the earth.

• Members

Would Jesus carry a gun if he lived today? I do not believe so. Even if it his "right" under the Constitution. A a citizen of the US, we may have that right, but is it right to from a Christian viewpoint, to carry a gun, especially in a place of worship? What do we value more? The right to carry a gun, or a the teachings of Christ?

What if a church posts a sign prohibiting a gun inside? I think all churches should do this, but that is my opinion. There is NO reason for a person to bring a gun to church unless a licensed, security person who is highly trained and is asked by the church to provide security.

Jesus taught that peacemakers are blessed. He told us if our enemy strikes us, to turn to the other cheek. Toting a gun is far apart from the spirit of that teaching.

I'm not saying people should never have a gun. THere are good uses such as hunting, etc. where it is fine. But to bring it to chruch and brag about it goes against the teachings of Jesus.

Consider this, bad guy goes into a church waving a gun. Do you want the person directly across the aisle from you shooting at the bad guy to stop him when you are in the line of fire? This is asking for trouble. Only highly skilled trained people who are VERY accurate in shot has business carrying a gun into a crowded building.

SHould Christians really have an attitude of "I will do what I want because it is my right!" Is that waht we are called to be? I think not.

• Administrators

kind - your scenario of someone being in the line of fire is quite possible. But one thing many people don't realize - most people who actually take the time to get a concealed carry permit are good shots! Unless someone is a criminal or an idiot (and, granted, there are many of those!), gun owners are by and large a very responsible group of people.

As far as Jesus having a gun...well, really, as God, He wouldn't need one, would He? :Green He could just speak and it would knock people over (like in the Garden of Gethsamene at His arrest). Sorry, that was tongue-in-cheek = I don't think He'd speak to knock 'em over, but truly - as God He wouldn't need a gun.

But! He did tell His disciples to get swords. So, perhaps today He would tell us to get guns? Who really knows.

• Members

There are lots of things that "Jesus would do" or "Jesus wouldn't do" that have nothing to do with what he has asked me to do or not to do. Jesus might heal the sick, he's never given me the calling or power to do that. While Jesus came to give his life as a lamb to the slaughter the first appearance here on this old sinful earth there is a coming a day that he will come again with much more than a gun in his hand and the blood will run up to the horse's bridle after the great battle.

Also, Luanne is right.....I am an excellent shot and go to the range on a regular basis in order to make certain I stay that way. And, I'm not foolish enough to carry around an empty weapon (when transporting one, yes). When I'm carrying it is loaded and in dual safe mode.

• Members

I recognize that many people who carry guns are good shots. However, I know first hand that in my state it is very easy to get a concealed weapons permit, and people can get them and be crazy lunatics. I simply do not want a civilian carrying a gun into a crowded place, and thinking they can save the day and try to stop a criminal in a crowded situation and kill an innocent bystander. Even a good shot can get nervous, or confused in a crowded situation. Being a good shot on the range or in the deer woods does not mean one is going to be a good shot in a split second situation where a crowd is around with a moving target. This is very dangerous. It is dangerous enough with a trained, highly specialized law enforcement officer doing this.

But, my larger point, is that we need ot think about our image as Christians. Do we really want to be known as people who carry around guns into our place of worship just "because it is our Constitutional right?" I don't. I want to be known as a follower of Jesus' teachings. And the Jesus that I know wants us to be peacemakers. He wants us to turn to the other cheek when struck by our enemies. He wants us to lover our enemies. He wants us to pray for those who curse us. Openning our sanctuaries up to guns does not promote that image. It promotes an image of violence, of selfishness, of doing things we can do just because it is our right, etc.