• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Bring your guns to church

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Amazing, I had read that article, I'm not as surprised at what many churches will do today.

Many Christians do not appear to be peaceable today.

17 But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy.
18 And the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace of them that make peace.
James 3:17-18 (KJV)

9 Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.
Matt 5:9 (KJV)

I recall seeing show on TV years ago where there was a clash between the Army and the Indians. When the soldiers would ride out to talk about peach with the Indians they would nearly always go unarmed.

People who are armed just do not favor peacemakers.

15 That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among
Phil 2:15 (KJV)

Neither do they appear harmless.

• Administrators

People who are armed do not favor peacemakers? That's rich!!! Check out the stats, Jerry. Towns and cities who "allow" armed citizens have LESS crimes. And Christians are citizens here, regardless of what you or anyone else wants to say. Christians have a right to carry guns. I think this church is silly with what its doing, but Christians can carry guns.

• Administrators
I see no problem with Christians carrying guns to church. Saying it is wrong is following right into Obama's plan for us Americans.

Yep!! (BTW - when I said it was silly, I meant because it's being used as a promotion. During the founding years of our country, loooong guns were carried to church!)

• Members
LOUISVILLE, Ky. ? A Kentucky pastor is inviting people to bring their guns to church to celebrate the Fourth of July and the Second Amendment.

New Bethel Church is welcoming "responsible handgun owners" to wear their firearms inside the church on June 27, a Saturday.

An ad says there will be a handgun raffle, patriotic music and information on gun safety.

Church pastor Ken Pagano says guns must be unloaded and private security will check visitors. He says recent church shootings make it necessary to promote safe gun ownership.

Marian McClure Taylor is executive director of the Kentucky Council of Churches.

She says churches work to prevent violent harm and promote peace, but most "allow for arms to be taken up under certain conditions."

I think this is sad, quite honestly...a three-ring circus in the place set aside for worship of God--not political demonstrations, raffles, patriotic music, and lessons on gun safety. The job of the church is not to make political statements, but to bring people to Christ and edify the saints. I would have no problem with the above event if it were not church-sponsored or held on church grounds. I see nothing wrong with Christians as individuals participating in such an event; it sounds like fun, and it does emphasize an important truth. It just sends the wrong message to a world who is already confused about what churches are supposed to be doing. It is confusing at best, and inappropriate at worst.

• Members

I think this is sad, quite honestly...a three-ring circus in the place set aside for worship of God--not political demonstrations, raffles, patriotic music, and lessons on gun safety. The job of the church is not to make political statements, but to bring people to Christ and edify the saints. I would have no problem with the above event if it were not church-sponsored or held on church grounds. I see nothing wrong with Christians as individuals participating in such an event; it sounds like fun, and it does emphasize an important truth. It just sends the wrong message to a world who is already confused about what churches are supposed to be doing. It is confusing at best, and inappropriate at worst.

So true and well said Annie, its very inappropriate, but I don't believe many Conservative Christians will actually agree with us on that.

Way to many Christians lets the world influence them much more than God's Word, maybe, I'm just speculating, its a lack of faith.

One of Jesus' Churches is a very scared place for worshiping the Lord thy God and building up the saints. What it will do is further alienate unbelievers, homosexuals towards Christians, especially after the murder of that doctor.

• Members

Agreed, I carry at church every sunday, but that isn't why I am at church.

• Members

I think a security team of volunteers outside the building or at least outside the sanctuary would be OK. They would need to be properly trained to recognize potential problems and have some knowledge of greeting people who might pose a threat to the church. After the pastor's murder in Illinois I'm not adverse to a security team composed of the parking lot team or others if that was proposed at my church.

I would have to contrast Nehemiah with current events. We have received a warning that the enemy is bold and is predisposed to enter the gate. If he enters the gate I would prefer he has been relieved of any weapons to harm pastors or the church as they worship. Any are welcome to the service but, after profiling (wouldn't worry about political correctness) and determining there is some other pretense for coming to services someone is relieved of their weapon; I see no problem with them hearing the Gospel preached.

Nehemiah 4:7-18
7 But it came to pass, that when Sanballat, and Tobiah, and the Arabians, and the Ammonites, and the Ashdodites, heard that the walls of Jerusalem were made up, and that the breaches began to be stopped, then they were very wroth,
8 And conspired all of them together to come and to fight against Jerusalem, and to hinder it.
9 Nevertheless we made our prayer unto our God, and set a watch against them day and night, because of them.
10 And Judah said, The strength of the bearers of burdens is decayed, and there is much rubbish; so that we are not able to build the wall.
11 And our adversaries said, They shall not know, neither see, till we come in the midst among them, and slay them, and cause the work to cease.
12 And it came to pass, that when the Jews which dwelt by them came, they said unto us ten times, From all places whence ye shall return unto us they will be upon you.
13 Therefore set I in the lower places behind the wall, and on the higher places, I even set the people after their families with their swords, their spears, and their bows.
14 And I looked, and rose up, and said unto the nobles, and to the rulers, and to the rest of the people, Be not ye afraid of them: remember the Lord, which is great and terrible, and fight for your brethren, your sons, and your daughters, your wives, and your houses.
15 And it came to pass, when our enemies heard that it was known unto us, and God had brought their counsel to nought, that we returned all of us to the wall, every one unto his work.
16 And it came to pass from that time forth, that the half of my servants wrought in the work, and the other half of them held both the spears, the shields, and the bows, and the habergeons; and the rulers were behind all the house of Judah.
17 They which builded on the wall, and they that bare burdens, with those that laded, every one with one of his hands wrought in the work, and with the other hand held a weapon.
18 For the builders, every one had his sword girded by his side, and so builded. And he that sounded the trumpet was by me.