• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Long hair on women (again!)

• Members

[quote="Tim"]
It is very feminine and there is no way anyone would consider it a masculine hairstyle.
[/quote]

Hm, the Bible addresses lengths, nor hairstyles...

The Bible says a woman's hair is to be her covering - that would certainly dictate length. What is it supposed to cover (that a man's hair is not to cover), and does it cover that? If not, it is not long enough - and if so, then it is.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

[quote]
Tim wrote:
It is very feminine and there is no way anyone would consider it a masculine hairstyle.

Hm, the Bible addresses lengths, nor hairstyles...

The Bible says a woman's hair is to be her covering - that would certainly dictate length. [b]What is it supposed to cover (that a man's hair is not to cover), and does it cover that?[/b] If not, it is not long enough - and if so, then it is.
[/quote]

Ears, neck, brow, shoulders, arms, back, rear end, legs, feet,...( I have actually seen women with hair long enough to cover all of the areas I listed) Again this is wide open for personal interpretation. My personal conviction on this is ears, neck, and brow, but like Chev [quote]
No scriptural basis for that statement, just my preference.
[/quote]

Chevy...posting this only so that I can explain where I am coming from with the long hair and not cutting it thing.

[b]The Glorious Covering[/b]

By Katy-Anne Wilson

[i]But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven. For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered. For a man ought not to cover his head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man.[/i] 1 Corinthians 11:5-7.

[i]Judge in yourselves: is it comely that a woman pray unto God uncovered? Both not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him? But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering.[/i] 1 Corinthians 11:13-15.

Did you know that God has given women their hair to be a glory unto them? But sometimes we destroy that glory or parts of that glory by what we choose to do with our hair. Dr Jim Berg defines glory as

• Members

this scripture really confuses me, I have one friend who always wears a covering on her head and another who wears one during service and we have discused this.
But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven. For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered. For a man ought not to cover his head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man. 1 Corinthians 11:5-7.

Well when I read that I find it confusing and really want to understand it. When they discuss it it makes since but are we missing something? I don't want to be disobeying God. If you say that Long hair is a covering then does it not follow that its saying if your hair is not long then you should have shorn hair(meaning hair cut short) is it not a cirular argument if you say if you uncover therefore taken your hair off since its a covering then you dishonoured your head you may as well shave it. To then say if its not covered it may as well be shorn(cut short) or shaved. But if its uncovered is it not already shorn or shaven so why say the statement you may as well do that if its already done??? My friends say its two seperate things that the other scripture laters says long hair is a covering but this one is talking about a covering during prayer.
I find it rather confusing and its been on my mind. I am not sure if I explained it well enough what I am thinking????

• Members

Tim, to be blunt, WHY would God put commands in the Bible regarding hair length if no one could really figure it out and it didn't matter anyway? God is not stupid - perhaps it is just that modern Christendom has spent too much time explaining away God's Word that they can no longer figure out what it is actually saying!

• Members

[quote]
Tim, to be blunt, WHY would God put commands in the Bible regarding hair length if no one could really figure it out and it didn't matter anyway? God is not stupid - perhaps it is just that modern Christendom has spent too much time explaining away God's Word that they can no longer figure out what it is actually saying!
[/quote]

Jerry to be blunt why don't you explain it then, your post clearly shows you haven't got it EXACTLY figured it out either or maybe you're just holding back so we can learn it for ourselves. Are you calling God stupid because you can't pin it down, I am surely not [u]Please tell me where I ever said God was stupid or where I said it didn't matter ???!!!! [/u]I KNOW what God's Word is saying, but I really can't point it out for someone else and say here is why I say ____ is the correct length for a women

• Members

I rightly don't see why so many find these verse about hair so confusing.

No doubt, the Bible says the woman's head is to be covered, and its talking about hair, not a hat.

But I don't see that it says a woman can't cut her hair, but its for sure, it should never be short are it would not be a covering.

Back in those days wasn't the harlots and prostitutes bad about having short hair? Where they not also bad about braiding their hair, wearing much jewelry, with made up faces and immodest clothing? Seems quite clear God did not want those women who were His children to dress nor imitate them in any manner. Why would they even want to?

What I find confusing is the first part of this verse. The rest of the verse is very clear, if a man have long hair it is a same to him, that is if he is a saved man. Of course many unsaved men just don't have much shame and don't worry about pleasing the Father or sinning in any manner.
14 Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?

1 Cor 11:14 (KJV)

• Members

[quote]
No doubt, the Bible says the woman's head is to be covered, and its talking about hair, not a hat.

But I don't see that it says a woman can't cut her hair, but its for sure, it should never be short are it would not be a covering.

Back in those days wasn't the harlots and prostitutes bad about having short hair? Where they not also bad about braiding their hair, wearing much jewelry, with made up faces and immodest clothing? Seems quite clear God did not want those women who were His children to dress nor imitate them in any manner. Why would they even want to?
[/quote] I agree Jerry 808

• Members

I just can't read a veil into it, its not mentioned, so I would say no. If so, only till their hair grew out.

I think we get that from seeing Islam women wearing them, their custom means nothing as far as I'm concerned.

Now, I know years ago many women wore hats to church, I remember that very well as a young boy, seems like the older as well as younger women did so.

Now I don't remember any of the girls wearing hats.

But, mother, grandma, sister, and I were in church every Sunday, I don't remember mother nor grandma going without their hat.

I think the hats looked very good, I hate that custom has passed on. and I think that was all it was, a custom.

Ever once in a while I will see a black woman with a hat on that has been to church, I thing most of them look nice. I believe a lot of them still wear hats to church.

One thing we know for sure.

15 But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering.

1 Cor 11:15 (KJV)

Her hair is a glory for the woman and its for a covering.

• Members

I might be too liberal, lol, but I don't have a problem with short hair on women so long as it is not in a man's style (like a flat top, for example) and not buzzed (extremely short) or shaven, or making them look like lesbians. I am letting mine grow out again, but even when I had it cut it was not all that short (See my avatar).

Besides, if you've had your hair bleached, colored or whatever, the quickest, most efficient way to get back to natural is to keep a fairly short cut until all the processed hair has been cut off. I went through that in '99 - I had bleached my hair. Was glad to get back to natural, though! :) And I had it highlighted in May and am working on getting the highlighted hair cut off to get back to completely natural hair! :D

• Members

Since we live on a limited income and the price of a haircut has gone up, I can't afford to get my hair cut every other month. I let it grow out for 6 months and it looked dreadful. I am 4'11", 63 years old--my hair is almost all silvery gray and I looked like a little old woman with my hair long--the length was mid-back and I had to wear it up and it was totally unmanageable. We went to California 2 weeks ago and I finally got enough money together to get my hair cut. It is in a length I can now manage.

I came home with a bad case of bronchitis and having my hair in a more manageable length made life easier for me.