1 head broccoli
6-8 slices cooked bacon
1/2 cup chopped red onion
1/2 cup raisins
8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, cut into very small pieces
1 cup mayo
2 tablespoons vinegar
1/4 cup sugar

Trim off large leaves of broccoli. Remove tough stalks at the end and wash broccoli thoroughly. Cut flowerets and stems into bite sized pieces. Place in a large bowl. Add crumbled bacon, onion, raisins, and cheese. In a small bowl, combine remaining ingredients, stirring well. Add to broccoli mixture and toss gently.

bacon is optional..hehe since i don't like bacon. onions are optional too.

[quote="Tim"]
Broccoli, rice, and cheese casserole
[/quote]

My grandma makes a very delicious broccoli & cheese casserole! Forget the turkey on thankgiving...I'll just have that for my meal! :D

Guest Guest

I like it just plain....well...sort of....

Frozen broccoli florets cooked in just enough chicken broth to cover the bottom of the pan about 1/4" deep, add a spoonful of butter on top and some salt. Boil until tender...maybe 10 minutes? Best broccoli I ever tasted!!

I love broccoli any old way. Did you know that the stalks are tender and edible if they are peeled? I had a great stir fry recipe once upon a time but I lost it. It was in a Blue Flame Cooking School booklet from the early 1970's. CJP56

I guess it all depends on what you call brocolli.

When I was young, we had three sorts: There was heading brocolli, which was like a winter cauliflower. Then there was purple sprouting brocolli and also white sprouting brocolli.

Eventually we had Italian or green sprouting brocolli, or calabrese. Then the heading brocolli were reclassed as caulifower, then calabrese became a head and was called brocolli. Then there was purple heading brocolli, now called purple cauliflower.

Now we have tenderstem brocolli which I believe was bred in Japan. This in my opinion as the best. It has long tender stalks and is sometimes sold in packs with asparagus. Steam this for about 8-10 mins. with asparagus. Serve on heated plates with a knob of butter or vinaigrette and crusty whole meal bread with unsalted butter. A feast fit for a king.