• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Do you go to the theatre?

How often do you go?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. How often do you go?

• Never
    • Rarely
    • Only if it's a clean movie
    • Once in a while
    • All the time

• Members

I haven't been to the movie theater since I was a wee thing...We generally don't rent movies, either, or watch TV. (We don't have time these days, it seems.) We don't necessarily have a conviction against the movie theater or against Blockbuster; movies are just not a part of our lives. Something we have enjoyed is watching shows at the Imax when we go on vacation somewhere.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I remember years back during the days leading up to me surrendering to preach the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

It always puzzled me to see my pastor go into a video rental store and come out with 4 to 8 movies.

That was before I was disabled, had chicken houses and ran a bunch of cows.

I would be up at about 5;30 AM each morning 6 days per week taking care of everything. On Sunday I would get up earlier than that to be sure everything that had to be done was done in time to get to church at least 30 minutes before it started at 10:00 AM.

Yes I worked some on Sunday, but always did only that which was completely necessary, nothing more.

But back to the point, at night I would read and study the Bible until 12:00 midnight and after, I just could not pull myself away from it. Seems I had no time left over for movie watching.

My pastor also held down a full time job, and with his job plus pastor of our church, I always wonder how he had time to watch 4 to 6 movies every week and prepared 3 sermons each week plus other duties that went with being pastor.

Plus I wondered what kind of movies he was watching. Yes I know, but I cannot find any movies in a rental place that is worth spending my time watching nor worth spending the money God has given me on.

Do I put down people for watching movies? No. But I fail to see what is in those Hollywood movies that can hold the interest of one of God's children for 1 to 2 hours at a time when many of them can't stay alert to listen to a 25 to 45 minute sermon on any given Sunday morning.

• Members

My uncle takes me once a year for my birthday, if there is a movie that I think is worth going to. And then my parents occasionaly will up and decide to go as a family. I went Friday to see Shrek the Third. Cute but not as good as the original 2.

• Members

Hmm don't get me started on Shrek. :lol

Too late....

We saw the first one, just my husband and I, on video...and I've seen previews for the others...and I cannot BELIEVE they market that stuff to kids! Suggestive humor, bad rock music, suggestive moves.... ugh.

Oh well!

• Members

Hmm don't get me started on Shrek. :lol

Too late....

We saw the first one, just my husband and I, on video...and I've seen previews for the others...and I cannot BELIEVE they market that stuff to kids! Suggestive humor, bad rock music, suggestive moves.... ugh.

Oh well!

I agree. The first one disgusted me and my cousin assured me that the second was worse.

• Members

My husband and I only goes to the theater once an awhile because we live out in the boonies but we don't like 90 percent of the movies. Last year we seen 5 movies up North while visiting my parents the possiden adventure(hubby wanted to see the new one from the 70's one), Superman returns(my husband likes Superman), Cars(yes, I like nascar and the music was livable with me) , Click (I wouldn't recommend this movie to anyone ,we seen it with my parents),Over the hedge(my sister and her son was talking about this movie and I wanted to see it.
Also We both love little house on the Prarie show. The real Laura Ingals wilder wrote that seen about her baby brother dying. The Pastor or Rev I should say said you know that God is guiding you if you get closer to God. Laura thought that she could climb a mountain to get closer to God. So sorry if you thought that LIttle house was teaching you needed to climb a mountain to get closer to God.

We rent movies to see if we like them. Last night we seen the movie The Queen about Princess Diana and stuff. It was ok but Boring. We usually get Christian films or older movies and shows.

• Members

I don't know how it happened or what I was thinking, but it seems that at some point in time I voted "all the time" - that I go to movies all the time! I've only been once in my lifetime, and that was like 20+ years ago! Is there any way I could change my vote?

• Members

My husband is legally blind and he can't see the screen unless he sits up almost on top of it. The movies that are shown in the theatres these days aren't worth the money to go and see. If by chance there is a good movie playing, we usually wait until it comes out on DVD.

We just got Dish Network and are getting Starz channels without commercials (free trial for 3 months) --the Kids and Family movies are pretty much family movies--we can record them on the DVR and then burn them to DVD and there are no commercials. If the movie turns out to be not what we expected, then we can delete it off the DVR and not even bother with recording it to the DVD.

We did purchase "The Last Sin Eater" on DVD and it was really good.

Guest Guest

I rented the movie "Letters from Iwo Jima" the other day. It was interesting to get the Japanese perspective WW II.

Wil

• Members

"Hollywood and the many companies which produce and market films for entertainment have prostituted their powers in order to gain wealth and influence.

These companies have become monsters, rich, unprincipled, and corrupt. And the commercial movies of today are dramatized and produced by sinful, wicked people, and their influence is a vile curse upon our land...

The unvarnished truth is that it is not possible for Christians to watch these pictures and not defile their minds and weaken their spiritual lives. I am absolutely sure that no child of God who allows the deadly virus of the average commercial movie to enter his mind can be the person God wants him to be. It is just inevitable that his love for Christ will grow less. Other sins will follow. You can put it down on this score: it is not possible to keep looking to Christ and keep looking at the movies too. There will have to be a choice here"

(Christian and Amusements by William Orr, The Moody Pocket Books, 1960, pp. 93, 95).

This was in 1960, its even more true in modern America during the 2007's, but many people still go to the movies and watch TV shows that poisons their mind against the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

No wonder when they are called out on their sin instead of getting convictions and understanding they try to justify their self and attack God's messengers and explain away the things which they do.

• Administrators

We did purchase "The Last Sin Eater" on DVD and it was really good.

My brother just bought that movie, too. I read the book and it was great, so I was hoping the movie would be, too. Haven't seen it yet, but probably will at Christmas when we go visit my family in WA.

• Members

It always puzzled me to see my pastor go into a video rental store and come out with 4 to 8 movies.

But back to the point, at night I would read and study the Bible until 12:00 midnight and after, I just could not pull myself away from it. Seems I had no time left over for movie watching.

My pastor also held down a full time job, and with his job plus pastor of our church, I always wonder how he had time to watch 4 to 6 movies every week and prepared 3 sermons each week plus other duties that went with being pastor.

Plus I wondered what kind of movies he was watching. Yes I know, but I cannot find any movies in a rental place that is worth spending my time watching nor worth spending the money God has given me on.

Do I put down people for watching movies? No. But I fail to see what is in those Hollywood movies that can hold the interest of one of God's children for 1 to 2 hours at a time when many of them can't stay alert to listen to a 25 to 45 minute sermon on any given Sunday morning.

So your pastor can't watch movies because you think they shouldn't be watched? And also, do you know his complete schedule? MAybe watching a movie for him is a way of relaxing after an apparently long week/day?

• Members

So your pastor can't watch movies because you think they shouldn't be watched? And also, do you know his complete schedule? MAybe watching a movie for him is a way of relaxing after an apparently long week/day?

I was not going to go any deeper, but some people have to have everything explains, on Sunday morning during Sunday School he would fall asleep sitting on the front pew. I suppose setting on the front pew that those setting behind him would not know he was napping.

I suppose that was from setting up late watching all of those movies.

It always puzzles me how someone can call watching sin in progress on the TV screen relaxing. And most ever Hollywood movie has sin within it and brings not the least bit of glory to God.

31 Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.
1 Cor 10:31 (KJV)

Can we relax watching sin om the TV screen and bring glory to out Lord and Savior? NO!

And that was back before I surrendered to preach the Gospel of Jesus Christ, I refused to let my eyes to look on such trash at that time, now that I am a pastor I still do not let my eyes look on such trash, there is no way it could be relaxing to me.

Can you set and watch a movie that contains sin and really enjoy it and relax?