• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Bill Gaither and the Southern Gospel Crowd

PreacherBen

• Members

As for CCM, I don't know of anything made by God that is highly addictive like CCM is. CCM is still my weak spot, I am still sometimes strongly drawn to it even though I try to resist the urge to listen to it. God doesn't force anything on anybody, so this urge I have to listen and make CCM can't be from Him.

Yes, it is still a struggle for me as well so I can well empathize with you there.

And I listened to the second song Mitch and though it wasn't as strong, it still had a definite rock beat. Sort of what you would hear in a 50's love song.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Okay, Ball Brothers...went and gave it a shot.

First song... My spirit initially said "Whoa!" Then as I listened my flesh was like "Hey I could get into this." (I tend to gravitate towards the country/western sound) However I listened to the, yes, beat, I knew that of course it is wrong. It sounds like the world! Why do so few see this?

Second song.... sounds like some oldie swing song and it doesn't appeal to me anyway.

Third sampler... varied mix of slow swingy and rocky sounds...got sick of it and had enough.

• Members

Okay, Ball Brothers...went and gave it a shot.

First song... My spirit initially said "Whoa!" Then as I listened my flesh was like "Hey I could get into this." (I tend to gravitate towards the country/western sound) However I listened to the, yes, beat, I knew that of course it is wrong. It sounds like the world! Why do so few see this?

I agree, I had my head phones on pretty loud, it sounded like I stepped into a rock concert at first :lol: Best to avoid this music.

-Alen

• Members

At least it wasn't as bad as that "Casting Crowns" trash alot of people seem to like these days...but we better not go there...

But it was bad enough. I certainly would not ask my husband if we can get a Ball Brothers cd...

And I want to add...this isn't about "I'm more spiritual than you" and I hope nobody thinks I'm being like that, or "having an attitude". That isn't my point at all! I sincerely feel this music sounds like the world. About the most "borderline" music I own are the Marshall family (you can look up their website and listen) or the Marion Avenue Boys (from the church in Iowa) but they are nothing like the groups listed here. Actually right now my favorite cd is one made by a church in Utah dedicated to the passing of Pastor Short who died in Fiji. Awesome cd.

• Members

A rock beat is a repetitive driving beat. It is what characterizes most secular music today and unfortunately much of our Christian music today.

And no, I won't say drums are evil. But they are a tool that can be used for good or for bad. You can do a search in the music thread here, I've talked about it...a lot. :)

• Members

I don't know about others, but I said rock-like and Kevin has explained why it's like that better than I could :)

I don't mind drums, just they can't be the focus of the music. Rock, rap, techno etc make the "repetitive driving beat" the focus of the music.

The Clark Family is a group I like, on one of their albums they use some drums, but as I said it's sot and little used, and not the focus :)

• Members

Suzy,
also ServingHim,

I didn't specify, but I was speaking of music in a restricted sense, not music overall a broad spectrum.

For example, I've had Christians tell me there is nothing wrong with them listening to Heavy Metal because it doesn't affect them.

To begin with, as emotional as they got over the topic and with the way they continually called it "my music" (very personal, I would say), it would seem obvious that music DID have an affect on them.

Secondly, the lyrics in Heavy Metal are typically not Christ-honouring.

Thirdly, the beat and drive of most Heavy Metal envokes aggressive, sometimes violent emotions and actions.

All of this would seem to indicate that Heavy Metal would be wrong for all Christians and that any Christian claiming otherwise was doing so of their own fleshly accord and not from guidance from the Holy Spirit.

Now, back on track here, what I was referring to are those individual songs, or perhaps groups within a branch of music, which put forth Christ-honouring lyrics to either Southern Gospel, country, bluegrass, harp music, celtic, classical, etc., that is NOT of the modern, pop-oriented, pumped up sound.

Some Christians would automatically call some or all of that wrong. Some would consider some okay and others fine.

For example, say one of these groups took an accepted as godly hymn and put it to music. It could be bluegrass, Southern Gospel, classical. There are some who would say with that music, they don't believe Christians should listen to it. Other Christians would love it.

In THOSE instances, is it possible that for one Christian the song might be edifying while for another Christian it might somehow not be?

• Members

I don't know about others, but I said rock-like and Kevin has explained why it's like that better than I could :)

I don't mind drums, just they can't be the focus of the music. Rock, rap, techno etc make the "repetitive driving beat" the focus of the music.

The Clark Family is a group I like, on one of their albums they use some drums, but as I said it's sot and little used, and not the focus :)

The Clark family from NJ?

We have one of their cd's, it was given to us. To be honest, my husband feels even that is a little too much and so we do not listen to it. I know alot of people like them though.

I must have had my head in the sand or something, because I honestly cannot believe people would think the first song on that website is perfectly innocent and godly music. :? Sorry, Chev. Not trying to be holier than thou or mean, I honestly just am not seeing this.

• Administrators

I will agree that some of today's Southern gospel groups have fallen into the styles of today's pop music. But most haven't. Just because the Gaithers have grown close with pop music doesn't mean the other 99 percent of SG groups have followed. I've said this before: most SG groups cannot afford to write and arrange their own music, so they get their music from the hymnbook. Traditional SG groups have four men and a piano player, and when they sing "Amazing Grace," "His Eye is on the Sparrow," "Heaven's Jubilee," and "This World is Not My Home," you'll have to fight the tears in your eyes.

There is no driving rock beat in traditional Southern gospel music. Just the piano. And there are plenty of current Southern gospel groups today who are maintaining that tradition. To associate Southern gospel music with CCM is a stretch.

I personally take offense that some posters here claim to be more spiritual than others on this issue. Listening to Southern gospel music is not "departing from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils:" I find it much more edifying than classical music. Little classical music since the 12th century has to do with Christianity. And most of classical music before the 12th century was written for the Catholic church. That's not including classical music's roots in Greece and Rome, those bastions of Godliness. And most recent classical music, especially Baroque, owes its orgins to dance music of the day.

At least most Southern gospel music comes from the hymnbook. Since there are no words with classical music, who's to say what the music is about?

But what really saddens me is that attitudes have soured on this board a lot recently. Instead of discussions, topics quickly develop into personal attacks, and I, for one, am getting pretty sick and tired of it. At one time, the board was a source of relaxation and fellowship for me - it's now becoming a source of stress and disappointment in the less-than-God-honoring threads and postings that have arisen.

Please don't let this board become the "Fighting Fundamentalists," or you won't have Mitch to push around anymore (some of you may like that idea anyway).

I'm taking a break ...

Mitch

You know Mitch, the more you post the more I realize how much we agree on things. Southern Gospel music needs to be judged on the individual song. Some is good while others is worldly.

Attitude check........Praise the Lord. :D

• Members

I agree that Southern Gospel has alot of different classifications...however so far in this thread, the examples that have been given are not something I would listen to... I know some people consider the Marshall family to be "Southern Gospel" but if it is, its on the very mild side.