• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Bill Gaither and the Southern Gospel Crowd

PreacherBen

• Members

I will agree that some of today's Southern gospel groups have fallen into the styles of today's pop music. But most haven't. Just because the Gaithers have grown close with pop music doesn't mean the other 99 percent of SG groups have followed. I've said this before: most SG groups cannot afford to write and arrange their own music, so they get their music from the hymnbook. Traditional SG groups have four men and a piano player, and when they sing "Amazing Grace," "His Eye is on the Sparrow," "Heaven's Jubilee," and "This World is Not My Home," you'll have to fight the tears in your eyes.

There is no driving rock beat in traditional Southern gospel music. Just the piano. And there are plenty of current Southern gospel groups today who are maintaining that tradition. To associate Southern gospel music with CCM is a stretch.

I personally take offense that some posters here claim to be more spiritual than others on this issue. Listening to Southern gospel music is not "departing from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils:" I find it much more edifying than classical music. Little classical music since the 12th century has to do with Christianity. And most of classical music before the 12th century was written for the Catholic church. That's not including classical music's roots in Greece and Rome, those bastions of Godliness. And most recent classical music, especially Baroque, owes its orgins to dance music of the day.

At least most Southern gospel music comes from the hymnbook. Since there are no words with classical music, who's to say what the music is about?

But what really saddens me is that attitudes have soured on this board a lot recently. Instead of discussions, topics quickly develop into personal attacks, and I, for one, am getting pretty sick and tired of it. At one time, the board was a source of relaxation and fellowship for me - it's now becoming a source of stress and disappointment in the less-than-God-honoring threads and postings that have arisen.

Please don't let this board become the "Fighting Fundamentalists," or you won't have Mitch to push around anymore (some of you may like that idea anyway).

I'm taking a break ...

Mitch

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Oh I know a lot would disagree, a lot have. Though a lot have also voiced their agreements with me though not publicly. But I'm not worried about what's mainstream because the mainstream is usually wrong about a lot of things.

But there is no doubt in my mind that there was a definite rock beat to that music and the only way you can defend it is by making music amoral.

• Members

Oh I know a lot would disagree, a lot have. Though a lot have also voiced their agreements with me though not publicly. But I'm not worried about what's mainstream because the mainstream is usually wrong about a lot of things.

But there is no doubt in my mind that there was a definite rock beat to that music and the only way you can defend it is by making music amoral.

I don't know if you are directing this towards me but I believe that some here are defending Southern Gospel music biblicaly and are not making music amoral. Like chev said alot of SG groups sing old time hymns and some also use musical instruments that does not come close to being "rock".

As far as the Ball Brothers go, they are a Godly group of brothers and their father is a Godly pastor. If they were not they I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that our pastor would not have them in our church or recommend their music.

I would say another group that follows the old time SG is Greater Vision and they use "can" music.

• Members

Their personal Godliness does not necessarily mean that their music is Godly. The music that greeted me on their site had a definite rock beat. If you base the quality of their music on their character without regards to the music then you make it amoral.

Matthew 15:18 But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man.

If their Godliness does not go into what they sing then explain Matt. 15:18. The way I see it is what comes out of our moths whether it be what we say, do, or sing is a direct reflection of their heart.

• Members

If I understand the scripture right what people say, sing, and do is a reflection of what is inside. Are they sinless no and never said that they were.

No a Godly person will sin but not continue to live in sin. Are the Ball Brothers living in continual sin or not.

No, I don't believe music is amoral.

• Members

If I understand the scripture right what people say, sing, and do is a reflection of what is inside. Are they sinless no and never said that they were.

No a Godly person will sin but not continue to live in sin. Are the Ball Brothers living in continual sin or not.

No, I don't believe music is amoral.

Sorry to step into this debate :D

I found their site, and that is most certainly rock-like music. I believe they are sincere with their music, that they don't believe they are in sin. Just like Cain thought it was all cool to bring up his 'offerings'

-Alen

• Members

...I can point to situations where those who listened to it became stronger Christians.

Wow, super danger there. Absolutely nothing can make us closer to God than God Himself. I've noticed this kind of thing in CCMers after I decided to quit CCM. They feel that the music makes them closer to God, which has absolutely no Biblical basis, IMHO.

• Members

Since it took me several minutes to load up the first song, no. However the fact is the first song is bad enough for me not to buy their album, even if the rest of the songs were hymns.

Now that I answered that :D Have you listened to the first? :)

-Alen

• Members

As for CCM, I don't know of anything made by God that is highly addictive like CCM is. CCM is still my weak spot, I am still sometimes strongly drawn to it even though I try to resist the urge to listen to it. God doesn't force anything on anybody, so this urge I have to listen and make CCM can't be from Him.