• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Bill Gaither and the Southern Gospel Crowd

PreacherBen

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

The Voodoo Origin of Rock 'n' Roll

Music researchers have presented compelling evidence that rock music has its origin in voodoo worship. The following paragraphs are excerpts from a well-documented research paper on this subject.

"The so-called pagan religions share the conviction that religious worship is a bodily celebration. A dance of the entire community."

"The metaphysical goal of the African way is to experience the intense meeting of the human world and the spirit world. Spurred by the holy drums, deep in the meditation of the dance, one is literally entered by a god or a goddess. Goddesses may enter men, and god may enter women.... The body literally becomes the crossroads, human and divine are united within it- and it can happen to anyone."

"In Abomey, Africa, these deities that speak through humans are called vodun. The word means 'mysteries.' From their vodun comes our Voodoo, and it is to Voodoo that we must look for the roots of our music...."

"Voodoo is not so much Africa in the New World as it is Africa meeting the New World, absorbing it and being absorbed by it, and reforming the ancient metaphysics according to what it now had to face...."

"Protestantism and Voodoo are always at odds. A Haitian saying goes, 'If you want the loa(a voodoo god) to leave you alone-become a Protestant(a believer).'"

In explaining the hold that rock music has in evangelical churches and the moral breakdown that is also occurring in these churches, this researcher observes:

"(A church that plays rock is a) church sending out two contradictory signals at the same time, one to the body and one to the mind."

"A doctrine that denies the body (lower nature) preached by a practice that excites the body would eventually drive the body into fulfilling itself elsewhere. Above all denials, the worshiper would long for he body/mind unity felt when the church was 'rocking.' In those churches the African metaphysic and the Western metaphysic would blend, clash, feed, and battle each other in each and every soul."

"Within thirty years, its impact (American rock 'n' roll) would make an American tune distinguishable from a European tune, no matter how straitlaced the music. It would be a music in all its forms that would reject Puritan American even at its mildest; it would have a beat, and in that beat would be everything that denied the split between the mind(spirit) and the body(lower nature)."

"But we are interested here in how the metaphysics lived on in the music not the practices(of voodoo), now, by what evidence there is, mostly degenerated from transcendence to sorcery. These Voodoo nuances linger as a kind of coda to the direct influences of the indigenous African religion or American culture. From here, the African metaphysics will be felt all in the music, all in the body, its direct lineage to Africa a thing of the past."

"Elvis Presley was teh first product of African metaphysics in American which the official culture could not ignore."

"It is important to recognize that when whites started playing rock 'n' roll, the whole aesthetic of Western performance changed....Spurred by a god within him, the devotee...throws himself into a series of improvisations(bodily gestures)....The audience is not taken in: it is to the loa(voodoo god) and not the loa's servant(performer) that their admiration goes out."

"The Voodoo rite of possession by the god became the standard of American performance in rock 'n' roll. Elvis Presley, Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis, James Brown, Janis Joplin, Tina Turner, Jim Morrison, Johnny Rotten, Prince-they let themselves by possessed not by any god they could name but by the spirit they felt in the music. Their behavior in this possession was something Western society had never before tolerated. And the way a possessed devotee in a Voodoo ceremony often will transmit his state of possession to someone else is by merely touching the hand; Western performers transmitted their possession through their voice and their dance to their audience, even through their records."

"Rock 'n' Roll...does preserve qualities of that African metaphysic intact so strongly that is unconsciously generates the same dances acts as a major antidote to the mind/body split, and uses a derivative of Voodoo's technique of possession as a source for performers and audience alike, of tremendous personal energy."

"Music can be understood by the body instantly-it carries so much history within it that we don't need history to understand it."

"From the first, the music has felt like an attack on the institutions(marriage, the family, the church, the government, etc.)-actual and conceptual- that it was, in fact, attacking."

"'If I told you what our music is really about, we'd probably all get arrested,' Bob Dylan told an interviewer in 1965."

"It is a music that won't stop, and it won't leave us alone. It speaks through the body and invokes the spirit."

There is no doubt that rock music is of the world, and we demonstrate our love for the world by copying it, because the greatest evidence of admiration is imitation.

• Members

The Functions of Rock in Releasing Adrenaline

"One of the most powerful releases of the fight-or-flight adrenaline high is music which is discordant in its beat or chords. Good music follows exact mathematical rules, which cause the mind to feel comforted, encouraged, and 'safe.' Musicians have found that when they go against these rules, the listener experiences an addicting high."

"Like unscrupulous 'diet' doctors who addicted their clients to amphetamines to ensure their continued dependence, musicians know that discordant music sells and sells. As in all addictions, victims become tolerant. The same music that once created a pleasant tingle of excitement no longer satisfies. The music must become more jarring, louder, and more discordant. One starts with soft rock, then rock 'n' roll, then on up to heavy metal music."

• Members

Music, as with all other facets of life, is governed by certain rules. Some of the most important rules in music are those which balance harmonies and rhythms with melody.

Judicious infringement of these rules in music enhances it(adds excitement), much as adding a little salt to food enhances its flavor. However, just as too much salt in food is poisonous to the body, too much "excitement" in music is poisonous to the soul

Rock music combines to two most detrimental and dangerous forces in musical composition: driving backbeat and unbalanced chaotic harmonies. These characteristics affect the listener's heartbeat and respiration. More significantly, they are tools with which a musician or performer can manipulate the emotions and behavior of his audience.

Rock music is not a wise choice of listening material for a Christian.

• Members

All excerpts are taken from various authors from the book "How to Conquer the Addiction of Rock Music- Written by Youth Who Have Found Freedom."

What sources do they cite concerning voodoo and rock n'roll connections?

Kevin, you are trying to say that those young people that listen to CCM are in rebellion. Some of the most hardcore Christian youth I know, the ones that love God with all their heart and interested in serving Him with their life listen to CCM and Southern Gospel. On the other hand, I know very few that were raised on conservative music only that are interested in serving the Lord. A lot of the youth in the church here have a passion for the Lord like I have never seen in youth before, and a lot of them listen to Southern Gospel and some CCM.

Katy-Anne

• Members

From a former Satan-worshiper:

Whenever I hear rock music, whether it's supposedly Christian or not, my reaction is extreme. I can't handle the music. I don't care what the words say. As soon as I hear the beat, it takes me back to those services where we called the enemy to empower us to do great evil. I am grieved about "Christian rock" music. I can't believe Christians accept these things...

I have to believe they are sincere, but I do not believe they really understand what they're opening themselves up to and the invitation they are giving the enemy to their lives.

The testimony is of a twenty-year-old man, verified by Dr. Jim Logan
International Center for Biblical Counseling
1551 Indian Hills Drive, Suite 200
Sioux City, IA 51104

• Members

From a former Satan-worshiper:

The testimony is of a twenty-year-old man, verified by Dr. Jim Logan
International Center for Biblical Counseling
1551 Indian Hills Drive, Suite 200
Sioux City, IA 51104

From a former pagan: I've never heard anything like that from any pagan, witch, satanist, or Ex-Pagan, ex-witch, or ex-satanist.

• Members

Well Will, now you have. :)

And he has a whole article on it if that would help. I just posted the excerpts.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:08 pm Post subject:
Kevin, you are trying to say that those young people that listen to CCM are in rebellion. Some of the most hardcore Christian youth I know, the ones that love God with all their heart and interested in serving Him with their life listen to CCM and Southern Gospel. On the other hand, I know very few that were raised on conservative music only that are interested in serving the Lord. A lot of the youth in the church here have a passion for the Lord like I have never seen in youth before, and a lot of them listen to Southern Gospel and some CCM.

Katy-Anne

Do you think Satan, the angel of music, would make it so obvious that it was wrong music? No, he is the master of deceit and uses music to gradually gain ground and control in a person's life.

By the way, I have not seen a Christian who has listened to CCM long term on fire for God, rather, I have seen my best friend destroyed by it.

• Members

And he has a whole article on it if that would help. I just posted the excerpts.

Do you think Satan, the angel of music, would make it so obvious that it was wrong music? No, he is the master of deceit and uses music to gradually gain ground and control in a person's life.

By the way, I have not seen a Christian who has listened to CCM long term on fire for God, rather, I have seen my best friend destroyed by it.

I don't know many Satanists who use music in their rituals. Of course, he may have been an eclectic Satanist. *shrugs* I tend to be very suspicious of anybody who claims to have been a former Satanist and makes claims like this as if they're speaking for all Satanists, or even for the majority.

• Members

Again, anecdotal evidence is not empirical, and is a highly subjective standard for determining if something is right or wrong. For every situation you can point to where CCM/Southern Gospel/whatever, created "weaker Christians," I can point to situations where those who listened to it became stronger Christians. Anecdotal evidence cannot be used to determine objective truth.