• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Bill Gaither and the Southern Gospel Crowd

PreacherBen

• Members

I know with me, the music was stuff our preacher was listening to and promoting. For awhile we loved it, but then when we really listened to the music and thought about what it was and what it sounded like...we just couldn't do it, no matter what the preacher said was okay.

Well now the preacher is out of the ministry....glad we followed God and not a man.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

So, Will, you are saying that what you listen to is Ok by the Lord? This is a question all of us have to answer about the music we choose to listen to. If you truly have no doubts, then none of those who disagree with you should be offensive to you. And there should be no inkling of doubt, for "whatsoever is not of faith is sin".

If you're convinced, then there's nothing more to be said.

Kevin, some of us ARE willing to give up our music. I'm willing to give it up if God shows me it's wrong, but He hasn't because it isn't.

Katy-Anne

• Members

Kitagirl, this is a question that can have only a couple of answers: either someone is not obeying the Lord, or they have not grown up yet to that point. God is very gracious in any case, and I am very glad. He has sent me to the woodshed over stuff that I see other IFB's doing as a way of life. Now, I could be like my siblings did when they were younger: "Why didn't HE get spanked, too??" but that would be the wrong attitude. I cannot control what others do, but I can control what I do, and I can teach and train my children in the right paths. Mark it down, the church is steadily getting more worldly, and those who hold to the old paths will be ridiculed.

If a Christian pointed out something that I was doing or not doing that appeared wrong to them, what would my reaction be? Honestly, before I defended myself so quickly, I would ask the Lord to show me if I was wrong....and if I wasn't wrong....did it still appear to be wrong and would I hinder others coming to Christ because of it? Isn't there a verse that says "let not your good be evil spoken of"? I've known of godly Christians who gave up some good things, not questionable things, but good things, just so that they would not hinder a certain individual's life.

That's what makes us upset. You try to say those of us that enjoy southern gospel music are sinning when you have nothing Biblical whatsoever to back it up with. If you did, I might listen. It doesn't mean we are disobedient. How can you be disobedient when the Bible doesn't tell you you can't do something?

Katy-Anne

• Members

Yes, I guess it does upset you. I recently had something pointed out to me, that I hadn't considered, and I realized that I had to drop that in my life or it would be a hindrance to someone in particular.

I say to you, as I said to Will, if you don't have an inkling of doubt, and your conscience is clear, then nothing more needs to be said to you about it. I would only be causing more anger on your part, and you, obviously would not want to read what I said, so that's
as far as it goes.

• Members

This is a topic where I least understand...why would the Holy Spirit who lives inside me convict me about listening to certain music...but then He would allow other Christians to defend the exact same music I felt led to give up? Do we all worship the same God, or what? :?

I think some people are more sensitive to certain issues than others. It's like where Paul in romans I believe, mentions about meat being offered to idols. Not necessarily a sin to eat, but some new Christians saw it as being a sin to eat such meat. So Paul said basically that there's nothing wrong with eating such meat, but one shouldn't do so at the expense of another believer. I wouldn't listen to such music in my car if I were riding with a fellow believer to whom such would be sin. But I'll listen to it in the privacy of my own car or my own house. But just as I wouldn't press an issue like this where the Bible doesn't say clearly one way or the other, I don't expect others to press their standard on me either. If I were listening to sexually explicit music, or music that were dishonoring to God through filthy lyrics and the like, then it would be the duty of other believers to press on me that this were wrong.

• Members

I don't believe any musical instrument is sinful in of itself, so I don't mind any instrument being used, however the problem is how it is used. I only have one Christian album on my PC that uses drums, which I didn't even notice for a long time, since its use was minimal, and it was very soft. I personally do not listen to the southern type of Christian music, because from what I have heard, it was on the border of being CCM.

-Alen

• Members

Kevin, some of us ARE willing to give up our music. I'm willing to give it up if God shows me it's wrong, but He hasn't because it isn't.

Katy-Anne

Let me ask you this Katy-Anne; did you finish the music fast that you started last year?

But just as I wouldn't press an issue like this where the Bible doesn't say clearly one way or the other, I don't expect others to press their standard on me either.

I believe the Bible does make it clear. It may not say "thou shalt not listen to rock music" but there are principals laid out concerning music.

The music may have drums, but mostly the drums are played softly as well.

You will be surprised how pronounced those soft beats will become if you stop listening to any music that is even close to borderline for 30 days.

I'll post the origins of rock in voodoo music in an hour or so hopefully. And nothing that comes out of satan worship can ever ever be good.

• Members

Kevin is making some very good points... music is extremely hard to give up. Most people are never willing to really sit down and listen to the Holy Spirit regarding their music. It is that controlling!

• Members

Kevin is making some very good points... music is extremely hard to give up. Most people are never willing to really sit down and listen to the Holy Spirit regarding their music. It is that controlling!

I have. :wink:

• Members

The thing is Will, you can't really evaluate a sin(let's assume that it is) when you are still engaging in it. You have to remove that from your life(through the fast) so that it no longer has you in bondage and during that time pray and seek the Lord's wisdom concerning music without being under the influence of it.

• Members

I STILL don't know why the Holy Spirit would tell me "NO" to something and tell somebody else "YES".

:?

If I were to say the Holy Spirit told me not to wear anything beyond casual clothing at church, would that mean every person that does wear formal clothing is sinning against God?

-Alen

• Members

The thing is Will, you can't really evaluate a sin(let's assume that it is) when you are still engaging in it. You have to remove that from your life(through the fast) so that it no longer has you in bondage and during that time pray and seek the Lord's wisdom concerning music without being under the influence of it.

Who say's that I was listening to it when I came to the conclusion that there was nothing wrong with it?