• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Bill Gaither and the Southern Gospel Crowd

PreacherBen

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Here are some testimonies and SCRIPTURES. He (and she) that hath ears to hear, let them hear.

A WITNESS THAT THE "ROCK BEAT" DOES GIVE "GROUND" TO THE DEVIL

"In 1981, I was driving down a jungle road in the Ivory Coast with several African pastors in the car with me. I had recently received a couple of cassette tapes from our denominational headquarters that were intended for our teenaged daughter.

"These were recordings of various 'Christian rock' artists. In listening to the tapes, I was very disturbed in my own spirit that such material was being sent to our missionary kids.

"But not trusting my own reaction alone and realizing that these pastors with whom I was traveling were very sensitive to the spirit world (both good and evil), I decided to play the tapes for them. The reaction I got was immediate and verbally violent!

"One of the pastors asked me this question, 'Do you mean to tell us that this kind of music is played in your churches in America?'

"I answered in the affirmative. His response was filled with disgust and anger as he replied with another question. 'What are you doing allowing your church people in America to call up the evil spirits with their music?"

Rev. Joe Meyers, Tacoma, Washington

THE "ROCK BEAT" MOCKS GOD'S COMMAND TO "LOVE NOT THE WORLD."

There is absolutely no way that Christians who love the "rock beat" can deny that they love the world. The "rock beat" not only originated with the ungodly elements of this world, but it expresses the evil intentions of the world's system which is opposed to Christ and His Truth. The very phrase "rock 'n' roll" describes a form of immorality. To say that we can have "Christian rock" is like saying we can have "Christian immorality."

Furthermore the "rock beat" does not come alone. It was originally designed to stir up and express rebellion to authority, as well as immorality. Those who try to put Christian words to a "rock beat" are simply imitating the world, and because one of the strongest evidences of admiration is imitation, they are guilty of violating God's command in 1 John 2:15-16:

"Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world."

God condemns any Christian who loves the world.

"Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God" (James 4.4).

Christians are to be in the world but not of the world. We are not to be influenced by their evil ways; instead, we are to be a light in their darkness.

God brought judgment to His own people when they ". . . mingled among the heathen, and learned their works. And they served their idols: which were a snare unto them. Therefore was the wrath of the Lord kindled against his people, insomuch that he abhorred his own inheritance. And he gave them into the hand of the heathen; and they that hated them ruled over them" (Psalm 106:35-42).

THE "ROCK BEAT" DISREGARDS GOD'S COMMAND NOT TO OFFEND OTHER CHRISTIANS

On Friday afternoon, May 18, 1990, a twenty-year-old man attending the Detroit Basic Seminar asked the following question.

"Several years ago I was saved out of a life of immorality and drugs. The church I began attending told me to get rid of my rock music. I did and have been growing in the Lord. But now my church is playing the same kind of music they told me to give up. What am I to do?"

This grievous question exposes the violation of the law of love in the matter of "Christian rock" music. It brings us directly to the appeal of the Apostle Paul regarding questionable things: It is good not to do "â

• Members

Southern Gospel, CCM, rock, etc. share the same back beat and spirit.

Uh, no they don't. Southern Gospel does not share the same spirit as CCM and rock 'n' roll. Some of today's big-name Southern gospel groups may be absorbing some styles of CCM, but the same spirit? You're basing your opinion on the Gaithers, but I can show you plenty of other Southern gospel groups that are staying "pure," so to speak.

Mitch

• Members

Without evidence? :?

I thought there was quite a lot of evidence. The rock beat didn't exist outside of Satanic worship until it started infiltrating into our secular music in the 20th century and eventually into the church. The only cultures that I can think of that use the repetitive drum beat(rock beat) in their traditional music are the Africans and the American Indians, both of which use them in their occultic rituals and chants. I was watching an American Indian chant yesterday and was surprised how much their dancing mimicked that of modern dance to rock music. Not much has changed...just the perception of it. :roll:

Sorry I am confused, are you saying drums are wrong?

-Alen

Preacher Ben, your post had everything to do with rock music and nothing whatever to do with Southern Gospel music. They are two very distinctive and very different types of music.

Katy-Anne

• Members

I dunno, I was listening to some public station on tv and they were having a country music fest...some of it was bluegrass folk stuff which I don't mind so much but then they had a country song and it sounded EXACTLY like Dolly Parton who sounds EXACTLY like a group named the "Rochesters" who alot of Baptist churches actually have in their church. We liked them for awhile until God convicted us about them. :D

If you have to listen to the words to make sure its Christian, then I don't think its right. I think there's older "southern Gospel" that is the quartet style stuff that's ok but when you get to the more modern stuff that sounds like country music, then you are too much like the world and that is where I draw the line. Most of it is trash. Oh. "IMHO". :D

• Members

If you have to listen to the words to make sure its Christian, then I don't think its right.

lol, that reminds me of this Christian bookstore chain over here called Koorong. It is run by liberals or something because a lot of the books there I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot clown pole.

Anyways the few times I have been there, when looking to get a Bible, which is hard to get a KJV there since it takes up about half a shelf, compared to say the NIV which takes 6. In the background I heard music, just like you would here in a supermarket, it was some rock group or something, it wasn't until I tried listening to the lyrics before I found out it was a "Christian song".

-Alen

• Members

Katy-Anne,
You said supply scripture and scriptural principles. I did. You go back to the external, i.e., types of music. You disassociate rock from SGM becuase the style appears to be different. The beat is changed up, usually double time. You don't recognize it.

Again, please, look at the scriptural principles regarding Southern Gospel, a mimmick of Country music, and pray about the the Bible says. Quit looking at external and examine the word of God.

Until you stop insisting on defense of SGM, you will not see what God is saying in His word. I was there once, but the word of God prevailed.

• Members

I think if one honestly compares the style of country music and modern southern gospel, that they couldn't help but realize its the same thing.

I had a good friend who used to love country music and then the church we were in for a time, the pastor loved southern gospel. My friend had a hard time with that because she felt it was too much like her old sin, country music. Why should we be a part of something that is that similar to the world?

God says "Love not the world" and I think that means He doesn't want us loving the world, but He also doesn't want us taking parts of the world and trying to "spiritualize" it so we can keep it.

Southern Gospel Quartet music is very spiritual music. Preacher Ben, I'm not taking an article aimed at rock music to prove that southern gospel is wrong. I'm sure you can't show me from the Bible where southern gospel is wrong, coz you won't find it.

Katy-Anne

• Members

Here are some testimonies and SCRIPTURES. He (and she) that hath ears to hear, let them hear.

"In 1981, I was driving down a jungle road in the Ivory Coast with several African pastors in the car with me. I had recently received a couple of cassette tapes from our denominational headquarters that were intended for our teenaged daughter.

"These were recordings of various 'Christian rock' artists. In listening to the tapes, I was very disturbed in my own spirit that such material was being sent to our missionary kids.

"But not trusting my own reaction alone and realizing that these pastors with whom I was traveling were very sensitive to the spirit world (both good and evil), I decided to play the tapes for them. The reaction I got was immediate and verbally violent!

"One of the pastors asked me this question, 'Do you mean to tell us that this kind of music is played in your churches in America?'

"I answered in the affirmative. His response was filled with disgust and anger as he replied with another question. 'What are you doing allowing your church people in America to call up the evil spirits with their music?"

There is absolutely no way that Christians who love the "rock beat" can deny that they love the world. The "rock beat" not only originated with the ungodly elements of this world, but it expresses the evil intentions of the world's system which is opposed to Christ and His Truth. The very phrase "rock 'n' roll" describes a form of immorality. To say that we can have "Christian rock" is like saying we can have "Christian immorality."

Furthermore the "rock beat" does not come alone. It was originally designed to stir up and express rebellion to authority, as well as immorality. Those who try to put Christian words to a "rock beat" are simply imitating the world, and because one of the strongest evidences of admiration is imitation, they are guilty of violating God's command in 1 John 2:15-16:

"Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world."

"Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God" (James 4.4).

Christians are to be in the world but not of the world. We are not to be influenced by their evil ways; instead, we are to be a light in their darkness.

God brought judgment to His own people when they ". . . mingled among the heathen, and learned their works. And they served their idols: which were a snare unto them. Therefore was the wrath of the Lord kindled against his people, insomuch that he abhorred his own inheritance. And he gave them into the hand of the heathen; and they that hated them ruled over them" (Psalm 106:35-42).

On Friday afternoon, May 18, 1990, a twenty-year-old man attending the Detroit Basic Seminar asked the following question.

"Several years ago I was saved out of a life of immorality and drugs. The church I began attending told me to get rid of my rock music. I did and have been growing in the Lord. But now my church is playing the same kind of music they told me to give up. What am I to do?"

This grievous question exposes the violation of the law of love in the matter of "Christian rock" music. It brings us directly to the appeal of the Apostle Paul regarding questionable things: It is good not to do "â

• Members

• Members

People that do not see the truth clearly presented in that post are choosing to remain blind to the sin of rock music whether it is in the form of CCM, Pop, or Southern gospel.

It's mostly anecdotal "evidence" backed up with Scripture that is supposed to be relevant to the topic at hand. Anecdotal evidence doesn't do it for me, and the Scripture used doesn't determine anything for me in regards to Southern Gospel.