• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Tithe

• Members

I must have missed that clause: Thou must tithe unless thou art a preacher or a teacher. Besides, according to your logic that only accounts for Christ after He turned 30 - not before. He fulfilled all the Law - if He didn't, He was not righteous and could never save anyone.

You apparently did miss it.

Christ began His ministry at a much younger age than 30. He was teaching in the temple at 12. And when reprimanded, He answered Mary and Joseph "wist ye not that I must be about my Father's business?'

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

John 8:24 I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins.

If they die in their sins, they are not Christ's. As a matter of fact, all the tithing in the world was not going to amount to anything once Christ came on the scene if they did not believe in Him.

• Members
So many do not study the Word of God as God commands and end up believing the lies taught behind the pulpit by greedy preachers or unlearned preachers when it comes to tithing.

Greedy and unlearned? I know many learned pastors who cherish the Word of God and preach tithing. I wouldn't call them greedy nor unlearned, and I doubt what they're preaching would be classified as "lies." Lies are intentional untruths intended to deceive. As evidenced in this debate, there are a lot of learned folks much smarter than me who seem to have no qualms about tithing. If they're actually wrong, then it's a mistake or misinterpretation of Scripture, but not a lie. Just like our debates on clothing, Christmas trees, and Easter. So, please refrain from such outlandish statements.

• Members
Jesus was poor, no earthly house, no land, no crops, no herds. He was not required to tithe. He had nothing to tithe. Try again.

That's not what you said earlier. You're changing your argument. You said preachers and teachers were not required to tithe, which was an erroneous statement. That's what I was responding to. I'm sorry I can only ready what you type, not what you intended to type.

• Members
John 8:24 I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins.

If they die in their sins, they are not Christ's. As a matter of fact, all the tithing in the world was not going to amount to anything once Christ came on the scene if they did not believe in Him.

Again, I ask what has this got to do with the Pharisees tithing? They were following the Law. Tithing had nothing to do with their belief in Jesus as the Messiah.

Mitch

• Members

Greedy and unlearned? I know many learned pastors who cherish the Word of God and preach tithing. I wouldn't call them greedy nor unlearned, and I doubt what they're preaching would be classified as "lies." Lies are intentional untruths intended to deceive. As evidenced in this debate, there are a lot of learned folks much smarter than me who seem to have no qualms about tithing. If they're actually wrong, then it's a mistake or misinterpretation of Scripture, but not a lie. Just like our debates on clothing, Christmas trees, and Easter. So, please refrain from such outlandish statements.

If they preach tithing was money, or unless they can prove they are of the tribe of Levites (the only ones authorized by God's Word to collect tithes), then they are preaching and collecting tithing in ignorance.

• Members

I will keep giving cheerfully and joyfully, believing that God commands me to and I am happy to keep missions going and taking care of our staff. I just started tithing last year and all my needs have been met. I am not saying just tithing will get your needs met. I am saying that trying to walk with God and reading the word and praying and witnessing has blessed me so much. If a pastor is up there preaching on tithing all the time and he has 2 benzs then I have a problem. That money is the Lords for his work not keeping up with TD Jakes.

• Members
Actually, Jesus proved that they were not following the Law, though they claimed they were.
Maybe so, but it still has nothing to do with their belief whether Jesus was the Messiah or not.
If they preach tithing was money, or unless they can prove they are of the tribe of Levites (the only ones authorized by God's Word to collect tithes), then they are preaching and collecting tithing in ignorance.
OK, in ignorance, but that's not the same as lying (intentionally deceiving), which is what you were claiming.

• Members

If I told you I was going to send you a thousand dollars, and failed to do so, not because of intention, but because something came up and I used that money for something important, what was originally meant as a truth became a lie.

James clearly shows that we should be careful of our tongues, saying things like 'if the Lord will' when we make promises. Why? Because if we are not able to fulfill that promise, then we have lied.

• Administrators

Dictionary definition of "lie"
1. A false statement made with deliberate intent to deceive; an intentional untruth; a falsehood.
2. Something intended or serving to convey a false impression; imposture: His flashy car was a lie that deceived no one.
3. An inaccurate or false statement.
4. The charge or accusation of lying: He flung the lie back at his accusers.
5. To speak falsely or utter untruth knowingly, as with intent to deceive.
6. To express what is false; convey a false impression.

So Chev is Right on what a lie is. Don't get mad at me, get mad at the dictionary. :lol

Anyways, the direction of this thread is not looking so good. Time to keep things civil, thread locked.