• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Tithe

• Members

I for one am still not sure where I stand on Tithing.

I Tithed at the church we used to attend. And, we still do it at the IFB we attend (hows the pastor supposed to get paid? He isn't supposed to work else where right?).

I'm not looking for anything as a result of Tithing. Instead I like what our old pastor said (paraphrasing) that it was Gods money to begin with. God gave us the strength to earn and be blessed with the money so we're in effect giving back to God what was His in the first place. Sorry if I lost anybody.

Plus shouldn't we be doing a "heart-check" before we make an offering (versus say a check up from the neck up)??

Lastly, (I promise) why should we expect anything from God other than our salvation. We breathe because of God isn't that enough in and of itself. Most of us have all of our faculties in check isn't that enough? Our salvation His Son etc.........

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My mother gave 10% of her income the 48 years I have been living, and she remains poor. Contrary to Scripture stating her barns would be full. Proves firstfruits is not money.

Pastors fleece the poor and get richer while the poor get poorer.

I perceive a great deal of bitterness...

"Hebrews 12:15 Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you, and thereby many be defiled;"

"Matthew 6:19-2 Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also."

If you think that giving money to God makes you poorer, your heart is very much in the wrong place and you misunderstand scripture... As I suspected at first, this does not seem to be a tithing issue at all, it is an issue of whether you choose to put God first and obove all in your life or choose to give him your leftovers if and when you feel "moved" to do so. That is usually the case in this type of discussion. Giving God the leftovers is the equal of those in the OT who offered God the halt the lame and the blind...

"Proverbs 13:7 There is that maketh himself rich, yet hath nothing: there is that maketh himself poor, yet hath great riches."

• Members

I've read dozens of books, articles and sermons on tithing from those who proclaim tithing is commanded for Christians today and those who proclaim it's not.

To date, I've come across nothing that Scripturally supports the idea of Christians being commanded to tithe.

• Members

The tithe argument isn't about whether or not Christians should give. SFIC has already stated that he believes that Christians should give. The pastor gets paid because the O.T. principle of tithing is carried over to the New Covenant which is all about the spirit of the law instead of the letter. Christians are to give joyfully, hilariously, freely unto the Lord. By putting money in the offering plate, you are giving to the Lord and paying your pastor. "Tithe" isn't mentioned by name in the N.T. but 10% is a good place to start, don't you think?

• Members

I perceive a great deal of bitterness...

"Hebrews 12:15 Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you, and thereby many be defiled;"

"Matthew 6:19-2 Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also."

If you think that giving money to God makes you poorer, your heart is very much in the wrong place and you misunderstand scripture... As I suspected at first, this does not seem to be a tithing issue at all, it is an issue of whether you choose to put God first and obove all in your life or choose to give him your leftovers if and when you feel "moved" to do so. That is usually the case in this type of discussion. Giving God the leftovers is the equal of those in the OT who offered God the halt the lame and the blind...

"Proverbs 13:7 There is that maketh himself rich, yet hath nothing: there is that maketh himself poor, yet hath great riches."

yer perceiving wrong. I was just stating a fact I am not bitter at all. Try again.

• Members
I've read dozens of books, articles and sermons on tithing from those who proclaim tithing is commanded for Christians today and those who proclaim it's not.

To date, I've come across nothing that Scripturally supports the idea of Christians being commanded to tithe.

:amen:

Seth Doty,

SFIC is my husband and he is anything but bitter--he said NOTHING about being poor when GIVING money. What he DID say is that the TITHE was never money and TITHING is not commanded for a Christian--however, GIVING (as the Lord prospers you and cheerfully and joyfully from the heart) IS commanded. You are making a false assumption when you call SFIC bitter. My husband is NOT bitter--and BTW, neither am I!

If that is true great, and it is a good thing that you are somewhat defensive of your husband, but since he stated that since his mother gave aprox. 15,000 the last couple of years to the church as a "tithe" she must have been "fleeced" by the pastor so that "the rich get richer while the poor get poorer". That certainly sounds bitter. Hopefully not though. I can't say for sure, God knows the heart, all I can see is what he said and the bible says out of the abundance of heart the mouth speaketh. If someone gives money to God they are not "losing" it as that seems to imply, they are laying up treasures in heaven. Some people will be very sorry when they get to heaven and discover what they spent most of there money on was foolishly wasting what God entrusted them with. I do not think that God is ever pleased with token offerings. You see very much the reverse throughout the bible. I suspect that giving God a mere token offering is very much like leaving a penny as a tip. It is an insult... :sad

• Members
If that is true great' date=' and it is a good thing that you are somewhat defensive of your husband, but since he stated that since his mother gave aprox. 15,000 the last couple of years to the church as a "tithe" she must have been "fleeced" by the pastor so that "the rich get richer while the poor get poorer". That certainly sounds bitter. Hopefully not though. I can't say for sure, God knows the heart, all I can see is what he said and the bible says out of the abundance of heart the mouth speaketh. If someone gives money to God they are not "losing" it as that seems to imply, they are laying up treasures in heaven. Some people will be very sorry when they get to heaven and discover what they spent most of there money on was foolishly wasting what God entrusted them with. I do not think that God is ever pleased with token offerings. You see very much the reverse throughout the bible. I suspect that giving God a mere token offering is very much like leaving a penny as a tip. It is an insult... :sad[/quote'] Some will get to heaven and discover that they foolishly gave to a preacher who demanded the money where God's Word did not give him permission to ask for money. Some will find that they disobeyed God by giving to that man and letting their family go hungry.

Some will get to heaven and discover that they foolishly gave to a preacher who demanded the money where God's Word did not give him permission to ask for money. Some will find that they disobeyed God by giving to that man and letting their family go hungry.

Well for one thing I am not giving to a man, I doubt your mother was either. As to "Gods word not giving him permission to ask for money" what about Paul in his epistles? He is not asking for money for himself, he is telling them to give to God. As to claim that "their family went hungry" because they gave to God, What was the point of the widow giving her last meal to Elijah? Remember the NT tells us that these things happend to them for "ensamples". Acording to your logic the fact that she gave to a "man"(really to God) instead of her son means she was doing wrong, yet God sent Elijah to her and he saved her life because she obeyed.

and most will find they were not tithing at all. just giving to the church under the guise of tithing.

LOL honestly I don't really care if I am "tithing" or just giving a regular offering to God. It doesn't matter...

• Members

Well for one thing I am not giving to a man, I doubt your mother was either. As to "Gods word not giving him permission to ask for money" what about Paul in his epistles? He is not asking for money for himself, he is telling them to give to God. As to claim that "their family went hungry" because they gave to God, What was the point of the widow giving her last meal to Elijah? Remember the NT tells us that these things happend to them for "ensamples". Acording to your logic the fact that she gave to a "man"(really to God) instead of her son means she was doing wrong, yet God sent Elijah to her and he saved her life because she obeyed.

LOL honestly I don't really care if I am "tithing" or just giving a regular offering to God. It doesn't matter...

I know the story you speak of. If you study that out, God had already instructed that woman to meet Elijah and feed him. Most of the people who give the so-called tithe of money do so because the preacher said it was a necessiy. Preacher lies and says God demands it. He fleeces the flock when telling them such.

The people, without studying and finding the truth about tithes, obey the preacher. Foolish with that which God has entrusted them with.

Give what you purpose in your heart to give in monetary form, but it is not tithes no matter how many times you call it tithes.

Paul was not asking for money under the guise of tithes. He asked for offerings in the form of money. Paul never preached tithing of money... Never!

As I said I don't really care what one chooses to call it... A tithe was a form of an offering anyway. It wasn't "collected" like taxes, you were not "forced" to give it even in the OT.