• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Tithe

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

you are right, your post is silly. The FRN is money and is equal to an amount of silver which is also money.

And as you said the FRN is paper and a promise. A promise is a backing. What do you think that promise is backed with? For our country, it may be more paper, or silver (coins), for other countrys, the same.

• Members
you are right, your post is silly. The FRN is money and is equal to an amount of silver which is also money.

And as you said the FRN is paper and a promise. A promise is a backing. What do you think that promise is backed with? For our country, it may be more paper, or silver (coins), for other countrys, the same.

No it ISN'T, go look it up. FRN are not worth the paper they are printed on... except that the government said so. We left the silver standard in the 1920's. It's not backed with anything.

If you don't believe me, by all means go try to redeem your money with with gold or silver... you'll be in for a rude awakening. If FRN's were backed by silver, their value would increase as silver does... not the other way around.

I really have to shake my head at this thread and your continued instance than increase equals ONLY produce and that offerings equal ONLY silver... all in an attempt to get around giving. You've even alluded to Pastors not being deserving of an income by making some inane statement of whether they were of the Levitical priesthood or not, and then another one about the church not being the storehouse.

I would love to hear your stance on more things (outside the finance discussion) so I hope you will participate in some of the other threads also.

• Members
Funny, I can take my wife's silver ring and trade it for guess what??? You guessed it... Money. the so called paper that is worthless.

BTW, if the dollar is not backed by anything as you think, why do you insist any amount of something that is not worth anything belongs to God.?
LOL, wow, talk about a waffle...

Because it is traded for goods, you know, like produce, etc.

See my POINT (which you just finally got around to conceding in your round about way) is that money, produce, silver... all increase, all wealth and all God's. That's just the way it is unless you try to lawyer around it...

• Members

I believe in tithing - because the Bible teaches it, not because my pastor pushes it.

By the way, tithing was around 400+ years before the Law.

2 Corinthians 9:7 is referring to offerrings - not tithing - and it is not teaching to give an offering INSTEAD of tithing. In the OT, the Law taught BOTH tithes AND freewill offerings, as does the NT. 1 Corinthians 8 quotes the OT tithe Laws in respect of tithing to the church; 2 Corinthians 8-9 speaks about offerings.

Also, Jacob tithed to God too - and he did not give his tithe to Melchizedek or to priests. He gave 10% of everything to God - that included more than cattle and produce - it would also have included his riches.

Genesis 28:20-22 And Jacob vowed a vow, saying, If God will be with me, and will keep me in this way that I go, and will give me bread to eat, and raiment to put on, So that I come again to my father's house in peace; then shall the LORD be my God: And this stone, which I have set for a pillar, shall be God's house: and of all that thou shalt give me I will surely give the tenth unto thee.

• Members

1 Corinthians 8 does not refer to OT tithing.

Tithing is only mentioned in the NT by Jesus Christ... and that of herbs, no mention of money for tithes at all.

Tithing money is not Biblical

As to Jacob, Jacob vowed a vow, it was not a command of God. The Word of God never says money was included.

There were conditions set forth before Jacob would give that tenth he promised. Apparently 20 years later the conditions were met, for Jacob returned 20 years later and built an altar.

There is no indication God even had any kind of sect in operation where Jacob could give that tithe - much less a weekly tithe. After building the promised ?house of God,? who stood at the pulpit? There was no Levitical priesthood (only Melchizedek?s), or any other God-ordained religious group in operation that we are made aware of. If Jacob built that house of God on that altar of stone (which he probably did), and did support it with a continual tenth (which we do not know if he did), who populated ?the pulpit?? Was it
some peoples God did not tell us about? Was it a people God was pleased with? Did this become ?the church? from which Balaam arose hundreds of years later? But, if Balaam was the long term fruit of Jacob?s
church ... well, you get the picture.

What I am trying to say is this, there really is no grounds for using Jacob's vow and fulfillment of that vow as some kind of set principle for us to ?tithe? every week to a local church. A conditional vow? Get real.!

• Members

SFIC, you sound like a broken record. Because something doesn't fit your theory, it just can't be right and just can't fit in there...

Abraham's and Jacob's tithings were not law - they were freely offered to God. But they set a precedent - and to state that tithing was only part of the Law is wrong.

Jacob promised God a tenth of all he had - that included his wealth - no way around that unless you disregard Scripture because it doesn't fit your theories.

1 Corinthians 9 (sorry, corrected my typo) DOES refer to tithing - what OT law was Paul quoting? You got it...

Hebrews - which was one of the latest books of the NT (written just prior to the destruction of the Temple) - refers to tithing in the present tense! And there was no word of rebuke or statement that tithing was done away with at that point in time - yet this was practically 40 years into the history of the NT church!

Hebrews 7:5 And verily they that are of the sons of Levi, who receive the office of the priesthood, have a commandment to take tithes of the people according to the law, that is, of their brethren, though they come out of the loins of Abraham:

Doesn't say "had," but "have."

Hebrews 7:8 And here men that die receive tithes; but there he receiveth them, of whom it is witnessed that he liveth.

Still present tense.

Again, Proverbs refers to tithing for the believer - you would be hard pressed to find ANY OTHER verse in that whole book which does not apply to the NT Christian today.

Proverbs 3:9-10 Honour the LORD with thy substance, and with the firstfruits of all thine increase: So shall thy barns be filled with plenty, and thy presses shall burst out with new wine.

If all the rest applies, that is a strong argument that tithing still applies too!

Sorry about my typo on the Scripture reference in prior posts - it is 1 Corinthians 9 that refers to tithing (whereas 2 Corinthians 8-9 deal with offerings):

1 Corinthians 9:7-14 Who goeth a warfare any time at his own charges? who planteth a vineyard, and eateth not of the fruit thereof? or who feedeth a flock, and eateth not of the milk of the flock? Say I these things as a man? or saith not the law the same also? For it is written in the law of Moses, Thou shalt not muzzle the mouth of the ox that treadeth out the corn. Doth God take care for oxen? Or saith he it altogether for our sakes? For our sakes, no doubt, this is written: that he that ploweth should plow in hope; and that he that thresheth in hope should be partaker of his hope. If we have sown unto you spiritual things, is it a great thing if we shall reap your carnal things? If others be partakers of this power over you, are not we rather? Nevertheless we have not used this power; but suffer all things, lest we should hinder the gospel of Christ. Do ye not know that they which minister about holy things live of the things of the temple? and they which wait at the altar are partakers with the altar? Even so hath the Lord ordained that they which preach the gospel should live of the gospel.

The OT laws about tithing are referred to in stating that it was the tithes that provided for the men of God and their families - just like that is how God takes care of the NT men of God and their needs.

• Members

Do you read what is posted or just react? Read my post above again - I corrected an earlier TYPO and said I was referring to chapter nine, not eight. I can see you replying in such a manner several posts of mine back - but not when I correct it, unless you just aren't paying attention.

• Members

Hebrews does speak of tithing... to the Levitical priesthood. The Levitical priesthood is no more. There is no command to give to other priesthood.

As to Solomon's mention of honoring the Lord with our substance and our increase, he was speaking of grain, not money. So shall thy barns be filled with plenty. Plenty of what? Plenty to eat. Bring the tithes (grain) into the storehouse (silo or barn) that there may be meat (food) in my house.

And if Proverbs 3:9,10 included money as tithe, then God has lied. My mother tithed money all her life. I figured out last night in the last 10 years alone, she has given the Church more than 15,000 dollars.

She does not own a house, nor land. She lives in her sister's house. She is living on a monthly Social Security check because the church she tithes to does not even follow biblical principal to take care of the widows. Sounds like her barns are full, right?

I read what you wrote. and at the time I was responding, it still said Chapter 8 talked about tithes. later you mentioned chapter 9, but again you are wrong. Chapter 9 is not about tithes of money either.

• Members

Sorry, I did not realize I had also made an error in my last post too.

The context of that chapter IS tithing, not giving an offerring. It refers to the OT laws about tithing - so that the priests and levites (the OT men of God) and their families were taken care of. To make that refer to anything else other than tithing is simply to disregard the Old Testament.

• Members

While 1 Corinthians 9 is referring to the minister being provided for, it is not speaking monetarily. It was not monetarily in the OT... and the OT was what Paul was referring to.

Verse 10 shows clearly what that provision is:

1 Corinthians 9:10 Or saith he it altogether for our sakes? For our sakes, no doubt, this is written: that he that ploweth should plow in hope; and that he that thresheth in hope should be partaker of his hope.

What is the one plowing for? A crop! What is the one threshing hoping for? Good grain!

Tithing was not money. To make that refer to money is simply to disregard the Old Testament.