• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Tithe

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I'm asking all present. :)

I see this issue come up often and many times it seems more of an emotional fight rather than a biblical look at the issue.

I don't recall tithing in the book of Acts and I don't recall Paul teaching the Gentile Christians to tithe.

Even so, I notice many pastors love to quote Malachi, which was specific to the Old Testament Jews.

Some pastors even threaten that the Lord will punish their congregation with financial loss or ruin, poor health and disease, or other calamities if they "rob God" by not tithing. That almost makes God sound like an IRS agent!

I do see where Christians are expected to give out of their abundance, cheerfully, as God prospers them. It seems most often when reading about the giving of the New Testament Christians, they gave out of love, and they would seem to have been giving far above ten percent.

Are we to give as God blesses and leads us or is God standing over us with a rod in hand demanding a tenth of every dollar?

• Members

Some pastors even threaten that the Lord will punish their congregation with financial loss or ruin, poor health and disease, or other calamities if they "rob God" by not tithing. That almost makes God sound like an IRS agent!

No, it makes God sound like a Mob Boss. "I'm gonna make you an offa you can't refuse. You give me ten percent every week, I let you keep your kneecaps."

I do believe that God expects us to give money to the church and to the poor.

• Members

I absolutely agree we are to give. The question is, are we commanded to tithe or are we to give cheerfully and freely as God prospers us and leads us to give?

Christ said "WHEN you give your alms", not "if you feel like giving your alms."

• Members

Christ was speaking to those yet under the Old Testament.

I've also heard various definitions of "alms" in this regard as well.

There's also the Scripture about paying pastors. :wink: Where do you think that money comes from?

• Members

I have witnessed congregations who controlled the preacher with their tithes. Example: Ear pleasing entertainment type sermon = large sums of money in the offering plate. Hard preaching, calling a SIN a SIN, Spirit Led, let-the-chips-fall-where-they-may type preaching = empty offering plate. IMO, preachers should not turn their sermons into marshmallow, all sweet,light and fluffy sermons, or hour long infomercials about sending in their tithes and offerings, but by the same token the congregation should not base the amount of the offering on whether or not they liked the sermon.

• Members

I found the following from following a link advertised on OB. The below is just a small portion of the article; you may view the entire article at the link:

http://www.bible-truths.com/tithing.html

Tithing is Unscriptural Under the New Covenant

[A Scriptural Exposition on the Fraudulent Fleecing of the Flock]

Since first posting this tithing paper on bible-truths.com, we have had hundreds of thousands of visitors seeking information on this topic. Many have written me personally thanking me for freeing them from this illegal and abusive practice of the Church. I have also received emails from some who are sure that tithing is a bonafide legal obligation for members of the New Testament Christian Church.

Objections to my paper range from simply quoting the prophet Malachi sent to the priests and nation of Israel: "Wherein have we robbed Thee? In tithes and offerings. Ye are cursed with a curse

• Members

1) The principle of tithing is clear, and it's there before the Law. But it's only a principle, not a commandment.

Genesis 14:20 And blessed be the most high God, which hath delivered thine enemies into thy hand. And he gave him tithes of all.

2) The commandment of tithing is part of the Law, given to Israel, and was required because the Levites needed to live. The following verse comes after discussion on tithing.

Leviticus 27:34 These are the commandments, which the LORD commanded Moses for the children of Israel in mount Sinai.

3) The New Testament makes it clear that we should give freely, not out of necessity. But at the same time, we know that if we sow little, we reap little.

2 Corinthians 9:6-7 But this I say, He which soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully. Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

Tithing is an excellent principle. It's a biblical one. If you purpose in your heart to give a tenth, and you do it cheerfully and freely, it's an excellent way to start. I also believe that giving should be expected out of a Christian that is able to. But saying if you don't tithe, you sin- that is a judgment that is not scriptural.

• Members

Luke 11:42 But woe unto you, Pharisees! for ye tithe mint and rue and all manner of herbs, and pass over judgment and the love of God: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

I think this is one of the most used passages to support tithing in the NT church.

Jesus is basically saying to the Pharisees "You tithe, which is good, but you look over justice and the love of God, this you should of done as well"

-Alen

• Members

Luke 11:42 But woe unto you, Pharisees! for ye tithe mint and rue and all manner of herbs, and pass over judgment and the love of God: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

I think this is one of the most used passages to support tithing in the NT church.

Jesus is basically saying to the Pharisees "You tithe, which is good, but you look over justice and the love of God, this you should of done as well"

-Alen

Alen,

Jesus is still talking to the Jewish leaders under the OT Law.

Because of its suspect nature, and the fact that it is the only verse in the NT that talks of a tithe (except a reference to Melchizedek in Hebrews) it is tough to build a case for tithing being commanded of the NT believers. All the other discussions on giving hinge on the free and sacrificial giving of the people.

Kubel, good post!