• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Raised in a Christian home?

Were you raised in a Christian home?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Were you raised in a Christian home?

• Kind of / Other
    • Yes
    • No

• Members

I was raised in a non christian home. My parents were acoholics and i was following suit quickly. My dad would sober up and spend 16 hour days on our ranch working very hard and was a highly respected man in the community. My mom slipped into sever alcoholism and was never sober. You get the picture. I thought this was normal. When i was 23 and a brand new deputy sheriff, my dad attempted suicide after hitting my mom in an argument. He had never touched her in a harmful way in 32 years of marriage and lost it. Not having the Lord, he felt it was his only way out. He survived and is now saved. Hes like a 12 year old. My mom died in nov 93. This is when my wife and I were seeking God but did not know where to go. The Lord sent faithful witnesses and we got saved Dec 11, 1993.

The positive of my childhood was that my folks loved me and I was well taken care of. I learned honesty and how to do business on a hand shake, and to own up when you made a mistake and to make it right. I was overboard and was judge jury and executionor on myself. (I struggled with eternal security for a few years after being saved).

My transformation was HUGE from the life I had lived.
The negative is that I still struggle with some of those old sins from twenty years ago. God took alcohol out of my life supernaturally. It was awsome, but I struggle with other sin. The minute by minute walk with the Holy Spirit is important to us all but really is vital to me.

My kids have been raised Christian, but know of my past(not the details thank God).

I think it made my wife and I a little over protective, but God is helping us on that one too. :)

• Members

I was raised in a non christian home. My parents were acoholics and i was following suit quickly. My dad would sober up and spend 16 hour days on our ranch working very hard and was a highly respected man in the community. My mom slipped into sever alcoholism and was never sober. You get the picture. I thought this was normal. When i was 23 and a brand new deputy sheriff, my dad attempted suicide after hitting my mom in an argument. He had never touched her in a harmful way in 32 years of marriage and lost it. Not having the Lord, he felt it was his only way out. He survived and is now saved. Hes like a 12 year old. My mom died in nov 93. This is when my wife and I were seeking God but did not know where to go. The Lord sent faithful witnesses and we got saved Dec 11, 1993.

The positive of my childhood was that my folks loved me and I was well taken care of. I learned honesty and how to do business on a hand shake, and to own up when you made a mistake and to make it right. I was overboard and was judge jury and executionor on myself. (I struggled with eternal security for a few years after being saved).

My transformation was HUGE from the life I had lived.
The negative is that I still struggle with some of those old sins from twenty years ago. God took alcohol out of my life supernaturally. It was awsome, but I struggle with other sin. The minute by minute walk with the Holy Spirit is important to us all but really is vital to me.

My kids have been raised Christian, but know of my past(not the details thank God).

I think it made my wife and I a little over protective, but God is helping us on that one too. :)

My dad did and taught me all the right things except for worshipping God, going to church, reading the Bible, praying, and so forth. Late in life he took up the godly part.

To be honest its amazing that some children turn out as good as they do. But of course its sad how many other turn out having had no proper teachings from their parents.

My mother died January 91, dad dies December 92, the wife and I believe he really grieved his self to death.

• Members

I voted yes.

When I was born, I was baptized into the Russian Orthodox Church, but by the time I started school we were attending a Protestant church where my my parents, two of my five brothers and I got saved (the other three got saved at the church I attend now).

I went to Catholic school until 8th grade then went to public high school, but my parents kept me in church and tried to keep me pretty straight throughout.

When I was in 10th grade we switched to an IFB church.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

My dad was a alcoholic, non-practicing mormon. But he often spoke about God.

My mom went to baptist church all her life, but she doesn't talk about religion. she usually keep her faith to herself.

My bothers are like my dad, and I think they believe in a God.. but they don't think much about him.

My older sister don't like baptist because she is too legalist (saw them smoking in the parking lots of a baptist church and just didn't like the look of it.) She became a Lutheran. I don't think she quite understand the once saved always saved, hence why seeing smokers in parking lots turned her off. It didn't occur to her that these people are sinners than need Christ.

My younger sister is a new ager.