• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Rapture Thought is Nuts

• Members

End-times 'rapture' theology is nuts, says New Testament expert

Episcopal News Service
Jan. 24, 2007

A leading scholar has said that the end-times rapture theology propagated by many fundamentalist Christian groups, and said to be an influence within the Bush White House, is unbiblical and basically

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

When I read scriptures, I bleive the end is VERY NEAR. I am thoroughly convinced that we are living in the last days. People who are capitalizing on it - such as those who have produced the video games, movies, books, etc. are making profit from it which I think is wrong IMHO. We should use what ever time we have left telling people about the goodness and mercy of God - not trying to entertain them until the Second Coming is here.

2 Timothy 3
1 This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.

2 For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,

3 Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,

4 Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;

5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.

6 For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts,

7 Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.

8 Now as Jannes and Jambres withstood Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, reprobate concerning the faith.

9 But they shall proceed no further: for their folly shall be manifest unto all men, as their's also was.

10 But thou hast fully known my doctrine, manner of life, purpose, faith, longsuffering, charity, patience,

11 Persecutions, afflictions, which came unto me at Antioch, at Iconium, at Lystra; what persecutions I endured: but out of them all the Lord delivered me.

12 Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution.

13 But evil men and seducers shall wax worse and worse, deceiving, and being deceived.

14 But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them;

15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

17 That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

• Members

Though I don't really think that the Left Behind video game is such a good thing either.

I don't either. That's what happen when Christians try to be worldly in their version. I don't think the Lord want us to be putting his name on worldly, materialistic stuffs like games, pictures, clothes, musics.

• Members

The Rapture is sound exegesis of Scripture and is not to be confused with some apocalyptic game which does not sound like it has anything to do with a fictional series about the rapture. Let us be clear and full of discernment about what is right and what is wrong. Christians without discernment end up believing that wrong is right and that right is wrong. Let us be careful and watchful.

No, I don't agree that the Left Behind game is a good thing, and I don't agree with a lot of the Doctrine taught in the books. They seem to miss the fact that the Holy Spirit no longer indwells people, and the whole Salvation message changes drastically. No longer will people be saved by grace through faith nor sealed eternally. It simply doesn't happen then.

But I think the books and the movies that are based on the books could feasibly be used as a witnessing tool for those who don't realize the horror of the Tribulation. Someone who dismisses the Trib and the Rapture like this woman did is an idiot. "New Testament expert" my FOOT!!

• Members

They seem to miss the fact that the Holy Spirit no longer indwells people,

Yes He does.

and the whole Salvation message changes drastically.

No it doesn't.

No longer will people be saved by grace through faith nor sealed eternally. It simply doesn't happen then.

Yes, they will.

Yes He does.

No it doesn't.

Yes, they will.

Hmmm...I find that kinda' lame, especially since I can guarantee you don't have a single shred of Scripture to back up your microscopic, baseless post.

The Holy Spirit has been taken out of the way (2 Thess. 2:7), men are saved by faith and works (Rev. 12:17) and can go to HELL if they take the Mark, regardless of their "Salvation." Touché.

Did you just "touche" yourself? :?

I'm not sure what you're confused about, but I simply explained to the man where he is wrong about his infinitesimally small post with no refutation whatsoever.

Touché- use Option-e to give you the highlighted accent: ´ then type the "e" to make the accented é

No...he tried to make a point, which I provided Scripture to refute. Therefore, I was saying "touché" to him, because of his total and absolute lack of supporting evidence.