• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Giving it up for lent

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

We don't observe Lent. I don't like going along with stuff that the Catholics started (although some would argue our holidays were started by them). I see absolutely nothing wrong with going aside for awhile to focus on the Lord but I don't like it when other people or organizations say when and where such things as fasting should take place.

The college we went to has an annual day of fasting and prayer and while some people were sincere and observed it, others just went out to eat or were honest and went to the cafeteria anyway . I don't think that is something you can force on people. There have been plenty of times when my heart has been so burdened that I can't eat and don't want to and I am in earnest prayer. When the situation is resolved or peace is given, my appetite returns and I eat. Kinda like when King David was praying for his newborn son who was dying. Once the child died, David knew it was over so he washed and ate.

Also, fasting is not something you are supposed to publish to other people. It is a private thing.

Additionally, I don't see the logic behind giving up sweets or meat or something silly like that to focus on God for 40 days. One can't focus on God while eating sweets or meat? And one can't focus on God the rest of the year? I don't get it.

Just my thoughts on the issue...

• Members

:thumb :amen::goodpost::clap::clap::clap:

I totally agree. I don't like the whole association (i.e. with the RCC) of Lent, for the very same reason that the Apostle Paul was grieved when the demon possessed girl was following them and proclaiming that they were servants of the Most High God. The girl might have made a few coreect statements but she was associated with Satan.

Both the Roman Catholic Church and that demon possessed girl are/were Satanically inspired.

• Members

Yes, Lent is very much a Catholic show ritual. "Look at how spiritual I am, I'm 'giving up' more than you for Lent!" Or, for the less "spiritual" Catholics, it's often a matter of, "What little thing can I appear to give up in order to appease onlookers?"

God desires that we pursue personal holiness daily throughout our lives. God also desires that we obey Him and listen to His voice and will for our lives and not some predetermined man-made ritual to determine when we fast, when WE decide to give up something, etc.

Obedience is better than sacrifice! Strong words from the Lord God Himself.

Catholics are real big regarding the concept of self-sacrifice for others to see; this is, of course, unbiblical.

• Administrators
I'm thankful for Seth enviting me to join this forum. They're getting together a Lent group on the other forum. My first post over here would be about Roman dogma.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=25843

Maybe, I should be more accepting to the Roman Church dogma. What do you think?

No, I don't think you should be more accepting of the RC dogma. As I stated over on the other thread, we don't observe Lent. I agree with what Bakers stated.

My posts on that other thread weren't to justify Lent. They were in response to what kind and his wife were planning. Giving up sweets and meats does nothing to focus oneself more on the Lord, as Bakers said. But giving up the tv and spending the time one would normally watch it in Bible reading and prayer instead sure would!!

• Members
But giving up the tv and spending the time one would normally watch it in Bible reading and prayer instead sure would!!

Even then it would only be of real benefit if the heart was in it rather than it just being a matter of ritual. Many of the more "devout" Catholics and even many professing Christians who do this sort of thing are doing so with the wrong motive and the wrong heart. It's a ritual, more of a "work".

If we are going to dedicate time to the Lord, it must be done from the heart, with the right motive and for the right reason, and not as a matter of religious ritual. Sadly, there are folks who set side a great deal of time for Bible reading and prayer but it's mostly a matter of ritual, their hearts are not set right, and they fail to truly benefit because of this.

• Members

Is giving up stuff for lent penance?

Penance = Voluntary self-punishment in order to atone for some wrongdoing.

Where is that taught in the Bible. I've just never come across anything that says self punishment will atone my sins. But I did find this.

1Jn 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

• Members

BAPTISTS ADOPTING ADVENT AND LENT

?Baptists Turning to the Observation of Lent? is the title of an Associated Baptist Press report for February 26. The article says: ?Though traditionally viewed as a Catholic rite, increasing numbers of Baptists are discovering the discipline of Lent. Belmont University, until recently affiliated with the Tennessee Baptist Convention, marked Feb. 25 with an Ash Wednesday service co-officiated by a Catholic bishop. ... That began to break down in recent decades as more Baptist (and other Protestant) churches began observing the season of Advent. Some of those congregations also began to incorporate other parts of the liturgical calendar into their worship planning ... Bo Prosser, coordinator for congregational life with the Cooperative Baptist Fellowship, said he sees interest in Lent growing in Baptist churches every year. ... Passport, Inc., a student-ministry organization and partner of the Cooperative Baptist Fellowship, produces a web-based Lenten devotional called d365.org. The Baptist Center for Ethics, another CBF partner, sells an online group study for Lent in PDF format that was produced in partnership with the Baptist World Alliance.? CONCLUDING NOTE: Lent and Advent are Roman Catholic and Greek Orthodox sacramental practices that have no biblical authority. For Baptists to adopt these things is further evidence of the encroachment of the ecumenical movement, the blending of doctrinal distinctives, and the unifying of the denominations. Doubtless one of the impetuses for the adoption of Advent and Lent among Baptists is the spread of contemplative mysticism through the influence of men like Richard Foster and Dallas Willard. Contemplative practices such as centering prayer, visualization prayer, lectio divina, the Jesus prayer, and breath prayers are adapted from the darkness of Catholic monasticism. ?Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ? (Colossians 2:8).

http://www.wayoflife.org