• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Can a Roman Catholic be saved?

• Members

I don't think we are questioning whether or not a human being can be saved by God's grace. However it remains highly unlikely that a Catholic will ever hear or ACCEPT the true Gospel of Jesus in their lifetime.

I know many Catholics who were saved.
I was one of them. God used my boss who I was working for.
I stayed in the church for a couple of years before I left. I took alot of investigating for me to leave.
Its not as easy as you think. I think there can easily be saved Catholics in the RCC just like there can be saved alcholics and saved drug addicts etc. Sometimes people just don't grow OR it takes something really big for them to give up.
I have learned that dicipleship is where its at. You can lead so many to Christ, but where do they go after that? How can they grow if we don't try to help them?

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

The issue isn't whether a Catholic CAN be saved, but whether they can be saved through their religion - and the answer is "No." Yes, a Catholic can be exposed to the Gospel through an outside influence and be saved - but then they need to start applying the Word of God and get out of the Catholic church. This verse certainly applies:

Revelation 18:4-5 And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues. For her sins have reached unto heaven, and God hath remembered her iniquities.

• Members

What prevents them from being saved through their religion? They worship Christ and believe him to be one in the Father. Does that not make them Christians?

Perhaps it would help if you tell us what the Bible says "makes one a Christian".

• Members

What prevents them from being saved through their religion? They worship Christ and believe him to be one in the Father. Does that not make them Christians?

Not according to the Bible!

John 4:23-24 But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him. God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Galatians 1:6-9 I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel: Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ. But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed. As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

They believe in another Gospel, they believe in another way to God the Father, they are NOT seeking God in spirit and in truth (ie. according to the truth of the Word of God) - so no, they are not Christians according to God.

• Members

The RCs that I know use many if not all of the same words that we do. The problem is that they equate them to totally different meanings. Not only that, but they::::

#1. Will tell you that they don't worship Mary, but they do.

#2. Would rather listen to the priest/pope/bishop/etc, than read their Bible.

#3. Exercise a great deal of sensationalism in their worship.

Add to that all of their other false doctines, and it is clear to see why their doctrinal teachings will not lead them to a true saving knowledge of Salvation.

• Members

Matthew 7:21-23 "Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity."

I was thinking that perhaps casting out devils here refers to Catholic Priests who perform exorcisms. But then of course this passage applies to all professing Christians.

• Members

A former Catholic who was saved in the Catholic church said this on page 13: "I have learned that dicipleship is where its at. You can lead so many to Christ, but where do they go after that? How can they grow if we don't try to help them?"

She's hit the nail on the head. Catholics have their Catechism....what have we the superior saved ones got? After I was saved, not one person asked if I wanted to be baptized or got me into a class so I could learn how to know true doctrine from the false. I won't tell you what happened after that but I think a discipleship class would do wonders for people, and young people especially. It could save a lot of heartache.

I think us "Baptists" are a pretty self-righteous bunch. I've been upset at Catholic teachings before, but what upsets me more is the pompous attitude of some of the 'saved' of the protestant groups. I've seen it first hand in my own church. It makes me ill. I come away hoping and praying to God that they never meet up with one of my unsaved children, because they'll be glad to push them right into Hell.

That might seem like an overstatement, but I'm serious. Christians have a great deal of difficulty knowing what ...real... humility is. Maybe a good verse to remember is the one in Revelation that says...remember from whence you came. And the one that tells us to consider all others to be better than ourselves. We must if we really care about their eternal lives. They could be our own brother, or sister, or.....

• Members

Catholics have their Catechism....what have we the superior saved ones got?

If you are not a likeminded believer, why are you here? To knock us because we care about the truth, and not about traditions? What good is a Catechism from a false religion!?!

I am not justifying leading someone to the Lord and leaving them, but if they are sincere about the truth and about seeking the Lord, God Himself will lead them as they dig into His Word.

I think us "Baptists" are a pretty self-righteous bunch. I've been upset at Catholic teachings before, but what upsets me more is the pompous attitude of some of the 'saved' of the protestant groups.

You may be self-righteous. I am not - I know all my righteousness comes from Jesus Christ and He alone is the reason why I will enter Heaven and have eternal life. Catholics, who are trying to enter Heaven by their own righteousness, are self-righteous (by definition).

I come away hoping and praying to God that they never meet up with one of my unsaved children, because they'll be glad to push them right into Hell.

They are ALREADY on their way to Hell - we are not sending them there, but instead are warning them about their condition so they will turn from their sins and turn to the Saviour. Being wishy-washy and knocking those who have a zeal for the truth will lead more people to Hell - because it downplays their lost condition and need for the Saviour.

We must if we really care about their eternal lives.

It is caring about the lost and love for the Lord that causes us to cling to the truth with all our hearts, and not be sidetracked or deceived by ecumenicalism or unbiblical traditions.

• Members

Catholics also rely on Christ but they believe Christ came to deliver a message of peace and love and one must attempt to live their life in this fashion to be considered a follower of Christ a.k.a Christian.

That is a false gospel and not what Scripture teaches at all.

• Members

Catholics also rely on Christ but they believe Christ came to deliver a message of peace and love and one must attempt to live their life in this fashion to be considered a follower of Christ a.k.a Christian.

Then how come this religion was responsible for approximately 50 MILLION (you read that right) deaths during the Dark Ages? Catholicism is NOT a religion of "peace and love." That sounds like something the New Agers would say.

It is trusting in the Lord Jesus Christ alone - without any works on our part, without any other mediator, without any money or penance we can do - that makes someone a Biblical Christian, a born again believer. Anything else is just wishful thinking.

• Members

Then how come this religion was responsible for approximately 50 MILLION (you read that right) deaths during the Dark Ages? Catholicism is NOT a religion of "peace and love." That sounds like something the New Agers would say.

It is trusting in the Lord Jesus Christ alone - without any works on our part, without any other mediator, without any money or penance we can do - that makes someone a Biblical Christian, a born again believer. Anything else is just wishful thinking.

Where did that 50 million come from? Please give me a source. I've heard something like that before, but it was in some IFB pamphlet or something. Other numbers I've heard were much lower. In one place I read that something like 40 million were killed during the Spanish Inquisition, but in reality it was under 100,000 (possibly 10,000, I don't remember exactly).

Don't get the idea that I am defending Catholicism, I just want the truth.