• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Class Project any computer programmers out there?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

What a great exercise... I'll do what I can to help.

Starting salaries depend very much on where you are.

Most people start out with a fairly entry level job, and make minimum wage * 2.5. So if MW is $5.50, $28,680 and if its $7.50, $39,000. I think these are fairly realistic for entry level (fresh out of college) positions. For simplicity sake, you can expect 25%-30% taken for taxes, medical benefits, etc.

You would not need more classes if your College degree is in computer science. But there are some starting things that you will need to buy.

Wardrobe... companies have different dress codes. So if you have to buy khakis, etc, leave some room (a few hundred bucks) for clothes. If they require suits, leave much more.

Books... If the subject matter you will be working on is not something you studied in college (i.e. they are developing software in .Net, but you took c++) then you may want to prepare to buy a few good reference books. Really the company should pay for them, but it may be wise to not go in on the first day asking for some books. :lol:

More later... I hope this gets you started thinking.

• Administrators

[quote="John81"]
[quote="BroMatt"]:lol:

A wife and kids would really add to your budget.
[/quote]

I don't know. My wife and kids do a really great job SUBTRACTING from our budget! :lol:[/quote]

I didnt say it adds money, it adds numbers to the budget. :frog