• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

What Church Hymnal Does your church use?

IM4given

• Members

"Soul Stirring Songs and Hymns" It is the blue cover edition. Not sure of the year.

Where can I find some info on changed amed to this hymnal??

We also sing choruses. These I do not care for.
They sound very much like the parise/worhsip stuff.

God bless
Bro. Mike

Here's a link: http://www.wayoflife.org/fbns/changesin.htm
and another: http://www.johnnythebaptist.org/SermonO ... Repent.htm (see the entry on Curtis Hutson)

• Members

We use the green hymnal "Soul Stirring Hymns" from Sword of the Lord. I think John R. Rice put that together. It is the 1972 edition.

I made a mistake in the year of the hymnal--I looked at it last night and it IS the 1989 revised edition and the hymn "The Old Account" #245 was changed from "O sinner seek the Lord, repent of all your sins; for thus He has commanded if you will enter in" to "O sinner seek the Lord, be cleansed of all your sins; for thus He has provided if you will enter in" (I'm not sure if I typed the change in correctly). But it does remove the "repent" and replaces it with "be cleansed" and from "commanded" to "provided"--BIG CHANGE. I don't know if our pastor is aware of this, but I will be showing this to him at our Wednesday night prayer meeting.

• Members

My MIL used to collect antique hymnals from the 20s and 30s - for her birthday she pulled them out and played for us - I recognized most of them and we had a great time at her party singing the old-time gospel hymns. She is a "back up" piano player at her church. She was amazed that I knew them all so well, and most of the other ladies were sort of "left out" except for me and her 90 year old Aunt Laura. Give me the Old-Time Religion/Music any day! :java:

• Members

I made a mistake in the year of the hymnal--I looked at it last night and it IS the 1989 revised edition and the hymn "The Old Account" #245 was changed from "O sinner seek the Lord, repent of all your sins; for thus He has commanded if you will enter in" to "O sinner seek the Lord, be cleansed of all your sins; for thus He has provided if you will enter in" (I'm not sure if I typed the change in correctly). But it does remove the "repent" and replaces it with "be cleansed" and from "commanded" to "provided"--BIG CHANGE. I don't know if our pastor is aware of this, but I will be showing this to him at our Wednesday night prayer meeting.

The problem is that these changes have also been copied and duplicated into newer hymnals and I think it has affected also the Majesty Hymns hymnal. This will be increasingly the case as the 1st edition Soul Stirring Hymns fades away into history as it is no longer being printed with the exception of 1 or 2 printing ministries which are reproducing the old copy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Our church uses "Soul Stirring Songs and Hymns". It's an okay hymnal book, though I think some of the songs in it are a bit shallow. I can't remember the name of the one by Majesty Music, but I like their one.

-Alen

• 4 months later...
  • Members

It's not the greatest hymnal but we're using Soul Stirring Songs and Hymns, 1989 edition by the Sword of the Lord.

Majesty Hymns is a favorite of mine. I like the Ron Hamilton songs that are thrown in also. A VERY good hymnal!! I may look at buying one for my own personal use.

• Members
It's not the greatest hymnal but we're using Soul Stirring Songs and Hymns, 1989 edition by the Sword of the Lord.

Majesty Hymns is a favorite of mine. I like the Ron Hamilton songs that are thrown in also. A VERY good hymnal!! I may look at buying one for my own personal use.

We use the majesty hymnal as well. For home use, I bought both the spiral bound for piano and regular hymnal.

However, I would agree with those who said some of the best verses of some of the hymns have been taken out.

• Members

Our church uses the All-American Hymnal and the choir uses the Majesty Hymn book. I've never really cared for the Majesty Hymn book because they took many a simple song and turned them into much more difficult works by changing timing, changing the harmony, or both.

My favorite hymnal is the Songs for Worship and Praise. IMO it is the best song book I've seen. It has all of the old time favorites from the Psalms to the reformation era all the way up to songs like "Majesty." I think it has somewhere around 600 songs with arrangements, medleys, KJV scripture with each song, and complete orchestral companion books.