• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Left-handed, Right-handed...

Left, Right or Both  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Left, Right or Both

• Left-handed
    • Right-handed
    • Both
    • Ambidextrous (using both hands with equal ease)

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

My mother was born left handed, but since that is apparently "evil" she had her left hand tied behind her back to write for a while until she got good at writing with her right hand. She can use both hands pretty much, but she isn't that good writing with her left hand anymore.

I myself am right handed, I barely use my left hand, unless I am doing weights at the gym :)

-Alen

• Members

I was born a righty, but was also born with a defective eyelid that didn't open for 3 days after I was born. Later in life, that eyelid continued to cut off about 20% of the incoming light.

I was enlisted into military service as a righty with a right master eye for shooting. But in the last 12 years or so, it seems that I've shifted my eye dominance over to the left. The opthamatrist confirmed that I'm now left eye dominant and that means I'm cross-dominant as I'm still right handed.

His theory was that the brain shifted its dependence to the left eye as my right wasn't too good thanks to the loss of incoming light and also the fact that it is somewhat more myopic than my left.

I had suspected that for a few years but couldn't confirm it. But now its very clear as I've regained more of the use of my left hand. I carry babies and my toddler with my right arm alone and I can catch a tennis ball with either hands though handwriting is somewhat of a challenge. I now shoot photos as a right handed person but looking into the viewfinder through my left eye instead.

I do think like a left handed person and it has helped me to be able to bring about a different perspective and view into problem solving back when I was writing software (a radically creative, logical, analystical person).

These days I have a preference for a particular hand when it comes to certain tasks. I'm feeding my toddler with my right, while feeding myself with my left. I do very well these days writing by typing on the computer (2 handed tasks) when I used to be terrible when I wrote essays by hand on my right hand. I've developed the tendency to discuss with myself aloud (speech is controlled by the left brain) and then brainstorm in front of a whiteboard or large sheet of paper. Preaching also has become more "visual" as I tend to use more visually vivid language to "paint" a situation for folks and put them in that situation along with the illustrations.

If I were to vote, I'd still say I'm right handed.

• Members

What??? You mean a person can change dominant eye? I don't want that to happen!!

God created the human brain with very powerful software running on it. It can compensate for faulty hardware even. That's why you can see some stroke patients recover very quickly and regain the use of parts of their bodies that were disabled because of the loss of a part of the brain.

It's very hard for any computer to be able to do that - mobilize unused capacity and other facilities to replace what was already lost. Totally amazing in its design!

The benefit of becoming cross dominant is that I've gained the full use of both halves of my brain. It's like going from a single core to a dual core processor upgrade! I'm still learning to master whatever I've gained.

• Members

Wow, I'm the subject of a poll! I knew you guys liked me all along :cool

Anyways, I'm 99% left-handed. I was the only southpaw in my first-grade class, so my teacher taught me to write right-handed. The only other things I do right-handed is play golf (clubs are a lot cheaper!) and shoot (I'm right-eye dominant).

I think my middle daughter would have been left-handed, if her mother wasn't so dominantly right-handed. :frog

Mitch

• Members

Wow, I'm the subject of a poll! I knew you guys liked me all along :cool

Anyways, I'm 99% left-handed. I was the only southpaw in my first-grade class, so my teacher taught me to write right-handed. The only other things I do right-handed is play golf (clubs are a lot cheaper!) and shoot (I'm right-eye dominant).
Mitch

You sound cross-dominant to me. It's probably much easier to shoot right handed anyway.

• Members

"cross-dominant" - that sounds almost, uh, well, you know.

from the American Heritage Dictionary:

south·paw - n. Slang
A left-handed person, especially a left-handed baseball pitcher. [From the practice in baseball of arranging the diamond with the batter facing east to avoid the afternoon sun. A left-handed pitcher facing west would therefore have his pitching arm toward the south of the diamond.]