• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

How should I handel this

• Members

I have really great news about this. I have felt kind of discouraged about the whole job thing. Well I got a job at Kings Island and that is just for the summer so I have been looking. Plus I don't start till June. I found out last week that the assistant manager left subway. So I called and talked to the manager and asked if she was hiring again. Without a thought about it she asked if I wanted to close or preclose. She gave me my job back. I start back thursday. and then go on a weeks vacation. but she needs the help her store is so under in employees she really needed me to take that shift on thursday. But she agreed to work around my other schedule so it should be a fun summer for me.

• Members

...God is good, isn't He?

All the time!!! How can God "not" be good all the time? As children of God, we shouldn't be discouraged just because something doesn't seem to be going "our" way. But understand that things are going the way God wants it according to His plan and purpose for our life. And when things seem to be going the way we want it to, it may not be the best God wants for His children. Father knows best!!!

• 8 months later...

I "think" you have to have the be in the teen user group to start a thread in this forum now, otherwise the new topic button won't show up. Just post what ever you have to say in the biblical issues, lounge, etc. forums. This one doesn't get much traffic anyway.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Being in a different work force then most, maybe I have a different view

I've never been given a 2 week notice of fireing. Never been told 2 weeks in advance that I'd be laid off.

I've been hired over the phone for every job I've had in the last 10 years, and been laid off/fired/quit the same way.

Most places, you put in 2 weeks, and they fire you after 1 cuz they are afraid of what you might do in week 2. YOU put in 2 weeks, and they treat you like garbage.

If they don't? If you're spirit led to give em 2 weeks? If you feel that's the right thing to do between you and God? DO IT.

If not? It's america... Go start your next job. If the next Job doesn't have you start for 2 weeks, THAT'S the reason to give em 2 week notice.

If they mistreat you? In what way?

YOu? That's nothing. Christ? QUIT. Had a boss get in the way of sunday school, quit, he re-hired me with a raise, and has never bothered me again about working saturday morning.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members
Tonight my family was in a car accident (noone was hurt not dads fault). Our tire was broke and we sat on the side of the high way for nearly two hours.

No big deal right? Till I called work a second time the first time I told my assistent manager ( he was the one working) I was going to try and make it in but was not sure if I could. When I called the second time I told him that I would not be able to make it at all that we could not get the van fixed right there and I had no way out there. He made the statement that he knew this was going to happen I said my family was just in a car wreck and he interrupted me and started to say something else about it so I hung up cause I did not need a lecture from him about it. He goes to church at the same place I go to school and claims to be my friend but since I started working for him he has not seemed like a christian or a friend. There was one time where if it were not for higher authority he would have fired me because he was being stubborn and the gm said that he could not fire me for what he was trying to. In that situation he told me that my priorities needed fixed. What happened is he asked someone out at the church if I had basketball practice and they mistakingly told him no when I really did and he scheduled me and I told him I could not work it cause of basketball. He then practically called me a liar and told me I had a lack of character. But I think I put my priorities right since I am a captain of that team.

Anyway with what happened tonight I told my parents that I was I was going to talk to my manager and I would not return. I was about to go out and try to get another job this week any way but this is going to make me leave right now. I don't feel I should put in a two week notice since I was disrespected and I feel bad cause I have always been brought up that when you leave one job place to turn in a notice but I feel I cannot work with this man no more. Am I going about this the wrong way or did I handel the situation correctly?

I was in retail management for a long time and now own my own business, so I've dealt with these things from every conceivable angle.

First of all, don't hang up on your boss. You might think he's being unfair. You might thing he's being a jerk. You might thing he's just going to lecture you. But hanging up shows disrepect which, from a Biblical point of view, goes against how scripture tells us to act and, from a practical point of view, makes you look like you have a bad attitude.

Second, if your boss doesn't believe you, bring evidence. In this case, you could have brought a copy of the police report or the bill from the tow truck. In the case of the basketball incident, you should have had your coach write a note and detail your practice schedule.

Third, if you ever have a problem with your boss or a coworker, document it. Write a brief discription of what happened, the date and time, and if there were any witnesses. Keep it in a file.

I was once a manager of a Walgreens and there were two other managers who were terrorizing the teenagers who worked there part time.
The kids all came to me because they knew I'd listen to them and told them to do exactly what I just told you: write everything down.

When we took this information to the district manager, one of the managers was fired and the other was transferred because the disctrict manager had a record to look at.

Now, in your case, you don't want to get anybody fired but that documentation will go a long, long way in helping to get a troublesome boss off your back.

Finally, if you're having trouble with your boss or you have a concern that you feel your boss isn't listening to, it's perfectly acceptable to contact their boss.

In fact, most companies have a way for employees to go around their boss if they feel that he is the problem or won't take their concerns seriously. Many times, you can even do it anonymously.

You have to look at it like a game of chess. You want to win but the way that you win isn't by tearing your boss down or being disrespectful, but by making sure that the facts are documented and on your side.

And you always want to come out on top showing that you're respectful and have a good attitude.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

My first job was in a pizza shop and my first manager quit. She had given me great hours that fit with church and school. My new manager, the one that chased her out, started to schedule me on Wednesday nights and nights I had asked off for youth activities. While I didn't need to go to youth activities and told her when I asked, I really desired fellowship with my peers. And the Wednesday night services were a must. It got so bad she finally stopped giving me hours. One week I only got a fifteen dollar paycheck after having worked there for several months. She actually hired someone and was training them to do my job. At this point I told her that this job was not worth it, and I quit. I was polite and respectful, but I told her that the job was standing in the way of church and school. And fifteen dollars isn't enough to fill my gas tank to get there (I live in the country). Two weeks notice meant thirty dollars, and that wasn't worth it. In my case it was my gm who was treating me badly, not my supervisor. I think the right thing to do was give your notice.