• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Is Repentance Necessary For Salvation?

LindaR

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

From "Except Ye Repent" by Harry A. Ironside: Chapter 1, Repentance: Its Nature and Importance, pg. 3

"Shallow preaching that does not grapple with the terrible fact of man's sinfulness and guilt, calling on "all men everywhere to repent," results in shallow conversions; and so we have amyriad of glib-tongued professors today who give no evidence of regeneration whatever. Prating of salvation by grace, they manifest no grace in their lives. Loudly declaring they are justified by faith alone, they fail to remember that "faith without works is dead"; and that justification by works before men is not to be ignored as though it were in contradiction to justification by faith before God. We need to reread James 3 and let its serious message sink deep into our hearts, that it may control our lives. "If I regard iniquity in my heart, the Lord will not hear me." No man can truly believe in Christ, who does not first repent. Nor will his repentance end when he has saving faith, but the more he knows God as he goes on through the years, the deeper will that repentance become. A servant of Christ said: "I repented before I knew the meaning of the word. I have repented far more since than I did then."

• Members

What's wrong with defining repentance exactly and only as it means, and that is "a change of mind"? People like attaching things like "resulting in...", but once you do that, it almost sounds like people are attaching good works and bad works to salvation (and that's why I'm so much against adding things to salvation). A change of conduct is not a prerequisites for salvation, but a result of salvation.

Ephesians 2:8-9
For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.

It all points back to our desire for self-righteousness.

I do agree that a change of mind (repentance) is required (for how else can we accept Christ). But I do not agree how some people define repentance (or attach things to it that aren't there).

• Members

Those who receive the gospel are adopted, justified, reconciled, sanctified, and certain of glorification. The only way to receive the gospel is by repentant faith in Christ. And this repentance unto life results in a change of mind about God and sin that results in a change of life. Since this is the nature of genuine repentance, that repentance is more than simply taking up the profession of Christianity, or being baptized, or living a moral life in external conformity to the rules of piety, or having powerful or even miraculous spiritual experiences, or reforming inward corruption by education, human laws, or the force of affliction, or conviction of sin from the Holy Spirit, or partial surrender to God, or sorrow over the results of sin. Rather, saving repentance, which is motivated by God's goodness and is impossible without a supernatural work of the Holy Spirit, is intellectual, volitional, and emotional surrender to the Lord. In repentance one agrees with God about who they are and what they deserve. One is willing to get things right with other people. Repentance involves turning from all known specific sins, as well as sin in general, to surrender unconditionally to Christ as Lord. The repentant soul turns from the world-system, false religion, and self-righteousness, to God. They are willing to take up the cross. Having counted the cost, but determined to follow Jesus Christ. We therefore turn to Him in faith.

Love,
Madeline

• Members

What's wrong with defining repentance exactly and only as it means, and that is "a change of mind"? People like attaching things like "resulting in...", but once you do that, it almost sounds like people are attaching good works and bad works to salvation (and that's why I'm so much against adding things to salvation). A change of conduct is not a prerequisites for salvation, but a result of salvation.

Ephesians 2:8-9
For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.

It all points back to our desire for self-righteousness.

I do agree that a change of mind (repentance) is required (for how else can we accept Christ). But I do not agree how some people define repentance (or attach things to it that aren't there).

Please be specific--what has been "attached" to repentance? I don't believe anybody here has "attached" anything to repentance. When one repents (not just "changing his/her mind from unbelief to belief about Christ--as some think), one "turns from sin" and "turns to God" (1Thess. 1:9)--there will be a change in one's life. The "fruit" of repentance will be evident. There will be a desire to serve God. The fruit is NOT attached--it is the result of true repentance.

For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death. (2 Corinthians 7:10)

• Members

Please be specific--what has been "attached" to repentance? I don't believe anybody here has "attached" anything to repentance. When one repents (not just "changing his/her mind from unbelief to belief about Christ--as some think), one "turns from sin" and "turns to God" (1Thess. 1:9)--there will be a change in one's life. The "fruit" of repentance will be evident. There will be a desire to serve God. The fruit is NOT attached--it is the result of true repentance.

1st Samuel 15:35 And Samuel came no more to see Saul until the day of his death: nevertheless Samuel mourned for Saul: and the LORD repented that he had made Saul king over Israel.

Yes, the Lord "turned from sin and turned to God".

-Alen

• Members

1st Samuel 15:35 And Samuel came no more to see Saul until the day of his death: nevertheless Samuel mourned for Saul: and the LORD repented that he had made Saul king over Israel.

Yes, the Lord "turned from sin and turned to God".

-Alen

How does the Lord turn from sin? Obviously, that is a gross misinterpretation of what Scriptures mean when it says "the Lord repented". Here is an article by Bruce Lackey, from Things Hard To Be Understood

The following study is by Bruce Lackey from the book Repentance Is More Than a Change of Mind-

Approximately 31 places in Scripture mention repentance in connection with God, most of them saying that He repented or promised to repent if man would change (Ge 6:6-7; Ex 32:14; Jg 2:18; 1Sa 15:11,35; 2Sa 24:16; 1Ch 21:15; Ps 90:13; 106:45; Jer 18:8; 26:3,13,19; 42:10; Joe 2:13-14; Am 7:3,6; Jon 3:9-10; Zec 8:14). Such statements present at least three problems to the Bible believer: (1) How could God repent if He is unchangeable, as Mal 3:6 teaches? (2) There are apparent contradictions between the aforementioned Scriptures and others which teach that God does not repent (Nu 23:19). (3) God

• Members

Linda, he was being sarcastic.

Obviously, God's repentance means changing His mind.

We know Jesus said sinners must repent or they will perish.

I think the real question is, "What must a sinner repent of?"--that is, "What must a sinner change his mind about?"

• Members

Job said "I have heard of thee by the hearing of the ear: but now mine eye seeth thee. Wherefore I abhor myself, and repent in dust and ashes" (Job 42:5,6).

Clearly this was much more radical than the "decisions" we are getting from our modern evangelistic methods.

Repentance is the result of salvation not the cause ! Acts 2:

38Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

The word for here means in view of the fact, in this case in view of the fact that God has forgiven you your sins ! for is the greek word eis:

1) into, unto, to, towards, for, among
++++
"For" (as used in Acts 2:38 "for the forgiveness...") could have two meanings. If you saw a poster saying "Jesse James wanted for robbery", "for" could mean Jesse is wanted so he can commit a robbery, or is wanted because he has committed a robbery. The later sense is the correct one. So too in this passage, the word "for" signifies an action in the past. Otherwise, it would violate the entire tenor of the NT teaching on salvation by grace and not by works.

• Members

Repentance is the result of salvation not the cause ! Acts 2:

38Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

The word for here means in view of the fact, in this case in view of the fact that God has forgiven you your sins ! for is the greek word eis:

1) into, unto, to, towards, for, among
++++
"For" (as used in Acts 2:38 "for the forgiveness...") could have two meanings. If you saw a poster saying "Jesse James wanted for robbery", "for" could mean Jesse is wanted so he can commit a robbery, or is wanted because he has committed a robbery. The later sense is the correct one. So too in this passage, the word "for" signifies an action in the past. Otherwise, it would violate the entire tenor of the NT teaching on salvation by grace and not by works.

Repentance is NOT works.

Way of Life Encyclopedia: Repentance

Repentance is a supernatural work of God whereby a responsive sinner, being convicted by the Holy Spirit of his rebellion, turns to God from his sinful ways and trusts Jesus Christ for salvation (2Ti 2:25; Joh 16:8; Ac 11:18; 26:20). Repentance means more than sorrow or regret or despair or grief. It is also more than mere confession or acknowledgement of sin. Pharaoh, Saul, and Judas did all of that but did not exercise Bible repentance (Ex 9:27; 1Sa 15:24; 24:17; 26:21; Mt 27:3-4). Bible repentance means a turning to God and a change of mind toward God that results in a change of life (Mt 3:1-2; Lu 5:32; 13:1-3; 18:13; Ac 2:38; 5:31; 17:30; 20:21; 26:20; 2Pe 3:9). There are two types of repentance: (1) Repentance for unbelievers for salvation (Lu 13:3; Ac 2:38). (2) repentance for believers from daily sin (Re 2:5,16,21-22)

From what... does one have to repent if one is already saved? What did Jesus mean in Luke 13:3 & 5?

I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish. (Luke 13:3)

I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish. (Luke 13:5)

The word "for" in Acts 2:38 does not mean "in view of the fact". Verse 38 needs to be taken into the context of what came before, in Acts 2:37:

Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do? (Acts 2:37)

These people were not saved. Otherwise they would not have been "pricked in their heart" and asked "what shall we do"? Why would they have felt conviction if they were already saved? Don't put the cart before the horse.

Your description of the "Wanted poster" is a weak argument.

Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do? (Acts 2:37)

Being pricked in the heart showed that the regeneration of the spirit had taken place in their heart, in fact it made manifest that they had been given a new heart.

The Holy Spirit had done a effectual work in their heart as jesus said would happen !

Jn 16 8And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:

9Of sin, because they believe not on me;

The word "for" in Acts 2:38 does not mean "in view of the fact".

Yes it does ! You change its meaning !

Repentance does means a change of mind, and it is obvious that the convicted jews had a change of mind !

God gives repentance as a result of the resurrection of christ, He gives it to the elect !

acts 5

30The God of our fathers raised up Jesus, whom ye slew and hanged on a tree.

31Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour,[b] for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.

Also Israel is not the ethnic Jews but the Israel of God comprised of both jews and gentiles as in Gal 6

15For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision, but a new creature.

16And as many as walk according to this rule, peace be on them, and mercy, and upon the Israel of God.

Paul made it clear that all of national Israel is not Israel !

Rom 9 6Not as though the word of God hath taken none effect. For they are not all Israel, which are of Israel:

As far as

I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish. (Luke 13:3)

This poses no problem at all , Jesus is basically saying, except you have newbirth [ a work of the sovereign spirit] you will perish !

It is quite obvious that the newbirth brings conviction of sin ! This is made clear in zech 12

10And I will pour upon the house of David, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the spirit of grace and of supplications: and they shall look upon me whom they have pierced, and they shall mourn for him, as one mourneth for his only son, and shall be in bitterness for him, as one that is in bitterness for his firstborn.

This is describing the outcome of a Sovereign work of the Spirit !

repentance and forgiveness is freely given to the elect !