• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Native Music

chev1958

• Members

We also use Jesus Woodlaji Sin, which is a Navajo language songbook. I would reckon that most of you would rather skip that one!

This statement by RezPreacher brought to my mind another discussion I had with a former pastor (he went liberal, and I had to dis-invited him to my ordination). Anyway, the discussion went something like this: Missionaries from the western world force their native converts to sing Western hymns, like "Amazing Grace" and "The Old Rugged Cross." Because of that, the converts weren't experiencing the true joy of Christ, because no hymns were being written in their native music styles. So, not only were the new converts learning a new way of life, but also had to learn a new worship style. I thinkRick Warren teaches something like this, or at least my former pastor referred to him: that mission works should help their converts develop worship styles conducive to their culture.

My initial reaction was that most of those cultures are paganistic in nature. Adding Christian words to their pagan music styles is nothing really different than what "Christian rock" does. It would be too confusing and too easy for the converts to return to their pagan roots.

What do y'all think?

Mitch

• Members

I grew up with Latin Catholic Masses, Latin Liturgies, and Latin Gregorian Chants as a worship "style." I prayed my prayers in Latin, and whenever I asked what we were praying about, I was told it was disrespectful to ask such questions!

I think it is good to learn about Jesus in your own natural language, what ever that language may be. The music should be reflective of both the Christian lifestyle and the native language, otherwise the meaning is lost on the ones who are worshipping. I have not seen the song book, but I suppose there would be no harm in translating such music as "Amazing Grace" or "Leaning on the Everlasting Arms" into the Navaho Language?

• Members

Music is a universal language. People can understand music whether it is of western or eastern origin. That is why classical music is played in concert halls from England to Korea. I think that Christian hymns should be translated for different cultures. In fact, you will find some songs in our own hymnbooks that are not of western origin. I believe "I Have Decided to Follow Jesus" has it's origins in India. Or at least the melody. If the music and lyrics are Scripturally sound, then the songs can be included in a hymnbook whatever the origin. My $.02 :smile

• Members

Chev,

IMO, I think that's a question that would have to be addressed on a more individual basis. Creating traditional Korean music with Christian words wouldn't be a problem in my opinion. Putting words to an African ritual dance would be.

If the traditional music has to do with pagan worship, it can't be used.

I know of a church where they reeled back in horror when the missionary originally suggested using their traditional instruments for their music. He found out why - they used those instruments to direct the departed souls of the dead to their final resting place. It was unthinkable for them to use their traditional instruments because of that association. Furthermore for them, their particular history and culture was such that most of their songs were associated with sad funerals of loved ones who were cruelly murdered by their persecutors (not for their faith, but for their race).

In this situation, they had to learn new songs. It was however a mark of grace that this people actually also learnt new songs and hymns in the language of their enemies and persecutors who had been so cruel to them.

However they had to be taught some things about Western Music also as they had innocently assumed that a drum kit was something that could be used and they managed to build a whole drum kit out of garbage and recycled materials. Such was their enthusiasm, innocence and resourcefulness. The good news was that this drum kit was ultimately abandoned and was not used in worship.

• Members

Chev,

IMO, I think that's a question that would have to be addressed on a more individual basis. Creating traditional Korean music with Christian words wouldn't be a problem in my opinion. Putting words to an African ritual dance would be.

I agree. It all depends on the type of music it is.

Bro. Jesse wrote:

However they had to be taught some things about Western Music also as they had innocently assumed that a drum kit was something that could be used and they managed to build a whole drum kit out of garbage and recycled materials. Such was their enthusiasm, innocence and resourcefulness. The good news was that this drum kit was ultimately abandoned and was not used in worship.

This is very true. So many Asian countries copy what they see coming from us when they become Christians. They have such a zeal but have simply never been taught the difference between right and wrong music.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm going to keep my opinions of the rightness or wrongness of using "Native music" in worship because I don't think they would be welcome here.

But I will say that I'm half Irish and half NDN and grew up heavily influenced by both cultures. Although I didn't grow up on a reservation, I did spend a good deal of time on a couple of them and we still make several powwows and dances a year.

So I know a little about it. At least enough to say that it's truly stunning some of the misconceptions that people have about NDN culture and music as it relates to spirituality. People assume anytime they hear drum groups or see dancers that it's some sort of pagan ritual. It just isn't true. The vast majority has nothing to do with religion one way or the other.

For the record, my two favorite drum groups are Bad Medicine and Southern Thunder.