• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The stats to end browser wars

Pastor Matt

• Administrators

Taken from: http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/browserSpeed.html

I'm only posting the stats now for the major browsers on windows machines. Testing was done on a 800 MHz Intel Pentium 3, 256 MB RAM computer.

IE7 (beta3), Opera 9.0, and Firefox 2: Time is in Seconds.

On a Cold Start:
Opera: 2.47
IE7: 7.80
FF: 11.64
Best browser for cold start: Opera

On a Warm Start:
Opera: 2.24
IE7: 2.40
FF:3.50
Best browser for warm start: Opera

Rendering CSS:
Opera: 0.68
FF: 1.99
IE7: 2.13
Winner on rendering css: Opera

Rendering Tables:
Opera: 1.08
IE7: 1.47
FF: 1.62
Winner on rendering Tables: Opera

Script speed:
Opera: 13
Firefox: 22
IE7: 36
Winner on script speed: Opera

Multiple images:
Opera: 1.44
Firefox: 2.03
IE7: 2.47
Winner on multiple images: Opera

Unpatched security holes as of 2/26/07
IE7: 6
FF: 2
Opera: 1
Winner on Security: Opera

Summary:
So overall, Opera seems to be the fastest browser for Windows. Of course everyones machine are different and will render different times. Currently over 10,000 open bugs in FF2. If anyone knows the amount of Open bugs in Opera or IE let me know and I will add it to the list.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I would switch to Opera but at this point in time it's just because I'm lazy. lol
I leave FF open all the time and all my passwords are already saved and I haven't felt like typing them in again. :lol

That's about how I feel, plus there is definitely a tech cult-like following when it comes to FF. Its a status thing :lol:

• Members

I just had firefox crash on me for the first time ever last night. When firefox first came out, it was absolutely wonderful. But then it got bloated and just became another Internet Exploder. But there's a few things I can't live without:

Adblock
Flashblock
Proper CSS support

If opera gets those three things, I will definately switch.

• Members

I don't remember which update it was, but on one of them my Firefox would crash.

But they seemed to have fixed that, since them it hardly ever crashes anymore, sure hasn't in a very long time.

I tried Opera for a short time, I did not like it, but I especially don't like the name, for it makes me think of the TV Opera who believes in a universal god and self help.

• Members

I don't remember which update it was, but on one of them my Firefox would crash.

But they seemed to have fixed that, since them it hardly ever crashes anymore, sure hasn't in a very long time.

I tried Opera for a short time, I did not like it, but I especially don't like the name, for it makes me think of the TV Opera who believes in a universal god and self help.

I think that would be Oprah, ..... Opera is like a Soap Opera or the three Tenors. :thumb

• Members

No, it was Firefox that started crashing, that was back before I tried Opera.

Shortly after the update that caused Firefox to crash they came out with a cure for it.

Firefox just seems to work best on my computer.

I suppose browsers are like doctors, one can't please everyone.

• Members

I started using Opera on my Mac...
I've found that of Opera, FF, and Safari, Opera is the slowest at a cold start, followed by FF, and Safari which is the fastest. Aside from that, I think Opera is pretty close to Safari in speed and a bit faster than FF. Safari is incompatible with some programs though and FF is somewhat buggy on my Mac so I'll stick with Opera for now. Seems to be the best overall for Mac.