• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Very Frustrated

• Members

Hi,
I'm sort of new here even though I've lurked around for some time. I need some guidance. I thought I was saved almost 20 years ago but I've really done nothing and I've even dropped out of church. Lately, it is really bothering me and I constantly doubt my salvation. No matter how many times I ask forgiveness or ask Jesus to save me I feel nothing. I can't stay "on track" for more than a day. I've recently had a baby and my husband and I want to raise her right in a good church. I'm convinced that I'm not saved and that God is not hearing me. I've even gone and spoken to counselors, read my Bible and I still think I'm not saved. I don't know what to do anymore but this is a miserable existence. I can't grow because I can't move past step one. Can anyone help me? I know the first thing I have to do is get back in church but even when I was I felt fake and lost.

• Members

Well nobody can tell you whether or not you are saved...

I know that I said alot of "prayers" too, trying to convince myself that I was saved. However I had to realize that it wasn't my prayer that saved me...it was God who did the saving. God is the one who does the work! We repent of our sinful ways, accept His gift for us on the cross, and give Him our life...and He is the one who saves. Sometimes we get into the rut of feeling like maybe we didn't say the right thing or have enough faith...but that is from the devil. We get saved just like the Bible says, and God has promised to follow through on His end.

Once you get past that, you are probably having the feelings of a backslidden Christian. You know, if you rarely talked to your husband and maybe didn't even live in the same house, you would not feel married! You might even forget you were married! God says its possible to be backslidden and forget we are even saved. Its time to get back into the Word of God and prayer, and yes church...and once you rebuild your relationship with the Lord, then "feelings" will follow through. However the devil is good at making sure we do not "feel" saved alot! Especially mothers of young children who are tired and hormonal, believe me.... anyway... you take God up on His promises and spend quality time with Him each day, and He will comfort you! Read the book of Romans...really read and meditate on that book...and I think it will really help you out in the matter of assurance of salvation.

Hope that helps a little!

• Members

Hi,
I'm sort of new here even though I've lurked around for some time. I need some guidance. I thought I was saved almost 20 years ago but I've really done nothing and I've even dropped out of church. Lately, it is really bothering me and I constantly doubt my salvation. No matter how many times I ask forgiveness or ask Jesus to save me I feel nothing. I can't stay "on track" for more than a day. I've recently had a baby and my husband and I want to raise her right in a good church. I'm convinced that I'm not saved and that God is not hearing me. I've even gone and spoken to counselors, read my Bible and I still think I'm not saved. I don't know what to do anymore but this is a miserable existence. I can't grow because I can't move past step one. Can anyone help me? I know the first thing I have to do is get back in church but even when I was I felt fake and lost.

If you left on bad terms with a church, did you try going back to that church to get things right?

Also, you said you thought you were saved. Can you remember the day and time when you had turned from your sins and put your entire trust on Jesus Christ, and the burden of sin was removed?

Please tell us how ya got saved. :lol

God bless!

• Members

Hi,

I am so glad that you brought this to the board. I know that there are many people that have battled with these doubts and feelings that you have addressed here.
First of all, you have to determine if you truly believe that the Word of God is true and that God cannot lie.
Secondly, you have to determine if there was ever a time that you by faith realized that you were a sinner lost and on your way to hell in desperate need of a Saviour, Jesus Christ? In so doing you realized that Jesus became your Saviour because He was the sinless spotless Lamb of God who died, and rose the third day triumphant over death and sin? If you can say yes to this then what you need is assurance from God's Word.
I am not sure how much time you spend in the Word of God but it is essential that we as believers spend much time there. It could mean the difference between a healthy thriving Christian or an anemic Christian. Go through and find scriptures that deal with salvation and assurance and study them out. Meditate on scripture.
Prayer is also essential for a Christian. Fellowship with Jesus is a special time. This is not only where we praise Jesus Christ but also make our requests and thanksgivings known. He will meet with us there.
Many churches are number conscious and are leading people to the Lord in large numbers but ofter the discipleship is lacking. As a result of this we see baby Christians falling by the wayside. They teach that being busy for the Lord is so important but they fail to teach them that quiet time with the Lord is vastly more important. I am not saying that any of these things are not important. I am saying that some things take priority.
I share this with you from experience in my own life.

• Members

I would like to tell you what my husband has shared with me about his salvation experience. He grew up in a moral home that had a lot of biblical principles. He was very open with his parents and was quick to confess his wrongs to them. Many times he called to Jesus to "save" him. While in college, his sister repeated what she had heard from an evangelist and my husband was saved. Five years later he heard a message about the difference between godly sorrow and sorrow of the world based on 2 Corinthians 7:10 "For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death." He almost jumped out of the pew because it struck him that all of the times he had "asked Jesus to save him" was doing nothing more than feeling guilty before his parents because of something he had done.

May you find the truth.

• Members

If you left on bad terms with a church, did you try going back to that church to get things right?

Also, you said you thought you were saved. Can you remember the day and time when you had turned from your sins and put your entire trust on Jesus Christ, and the burden of sin was removed?

Please tell us how ya got saved. :lol

God bless!

Thanks for your reply and to answer your question, I didn't leave on bad terms. It was more like I missed I think 2 Sundays in a row for out of town weddings, then I didn't go the next week, then just it just went downhill from there. I really have no excuses-just laziness. Then I found myself very bitter and angry at everything and I was especially materialistic. I was just eaten up with jealousy so I determined I was for sure not going back because God was "out to get me". Looking now, I see how blessed I am-I have a new healthy baby, my husband and I are healthy and we have more than enough food!! I want to get back in church now but I think I feel embarrassed and ashamed.

As for my salvation experience-I remember going down in revival one night saying I wanted to be saved. The preacher prayed, I repeated and went on about my life like nothing happened. I was never even bothered by it. It wasn't until about 15 years later when we joined an Independent Baptist church that I realized that being a Christian really changes your life. I should mention that I grew up in a very "dead" Southern Baptist church and to me, as long as you were a good person and came to church, that was the extent of the Christian life. It certainly wasn't a personal relationship. I'm not trying to blame the church because Timothy told us to "study to show thyself approved" but I do think it has led to some major confusion. It made me think it was okay to live in the flesh as long as I could say I was saved. I have since prayed and asked Jesus to save me many times-just to be sure. I honestly think I'm overcomplicating it. I even question if I'm being led by the Spirit, is He listening, Is He done with me. I have almost convinced myself that I can't be saved. I know in my heart that isn't right but something definitely is wrong in my life. I wonder sometimes if I want to escape Hell but don't have true repentance? I wonder if my motives are right. Someone told me that this is the Spirit drawing me if I'm thinking about it this much. I'm sorry to ramble. Does this make any sense?

• Members

Thanks for your reply and to answer your question, I didn't leave on bad terms. It was more like I missed I think 2 Sundays in a row for out of town weddings, then I didn't go the next week, then just it just went downhill from there. I really have no excuses-just laziness. Then I found myself very bitter and angry at everything and I was especially materialistic. I was just eaten up with jealousy so I determined I was for sure not going back because God was "out to get me". Looking now, I see how blessed I am-I have a new healthy baby, my husband and I are healthy and we have more than enough food!! I want to get back in church now but I think I feel embarrassed and ashamed.

As for my salvation experience-I remember going down in revival one night saying I wanted to be saved. The preacher prayed, I repeated and went on about my life like nothing happened. I was never even bothered by it. It wasn't until about 15 years later when we joined an Independent Baptist church that I realized that being a Christian really changes your life. I should mention that I grew up in a very "dead" Southern Baptist church and to me, as long as you were a good person and came to church, that was the extent of the Christian life. It certainly wasn't a personal relationship. I'm not trying to blame the church because Timothy told us to "study to show thyself approved" but I do think it has led to some major confusion. It made me think it was okay to live in the flesh as long as I could say I was saved. I have since prayed and asked Jesus to save me many times-just to be sure. I honestly think I'm overcomplicating it. I even question if I'm being led by the Spirit, is He listening, Is He done with me. I have almost convinced myself that I can't be saved. I know in my heart that isn't right but something definitely is wrong in my life. I wonder sometimes if I want to escape Hell but don't have true repentance? I wonder if my motives are right. Someone told me that this is the Spirit drawing me if I'm thinking about it this much. I'm sorry to ramble. Does this make any sense?

It does make sense. First, I will note that you repeated a prayer a preacher prayed. However, the Bible says it is "with the heart man believeth unto righteousness". There are no magical words that can save a person. In fact, many have gotten saved without praying anything. What matters is not the words but the heart. It is sad that there are many churches that teach if you repeat a prayer, that will save you. However, if you had no peace or joy and didn't have the weight of your sins removed, you need something real. A preacher or counselor cannot give that to you. Neither can I. Only Jesus Christ can. But understand that when you approach God, you approach the Holy Almighty God. His views are far different from ours. He sees even our righteousness as filthy rags. There is nothing we can do where by we can earn or merit eternal life. That's why he sent his Son to die on the cross for your sins. When you come to the place where you see what you are before God, a sinner, and you repent and believe on his Son, then he will do the saving.

The saving he does is much better than anything that man has to offer. It will produce a huge change in your heart. You will no longer have the burden of sin, plus you will then have Jesus Christ with you anywhere you go. You will know for sure where your eternal destination is.

For now, the best thing you could do is ask God with a sincere heart to show you your hearts condition and, if you are not saved, ask him to show you just how lost you really are without him.

God bless!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Hi, You've got a lot of support here. Many have experienced what you have. Some of the previous posts address the need to go back to the day of your salvation and that only you and God know for sure that you are or are not. Another thought is if being in sin that you know to be sin. If it doesn't bother you to do it you would want to check your salvation. God doesn't make you feel guilty the devil does. God chastises those who are His. Get back into church (if it's a good one) they will only welcome you. Nobody will care why you were gone, they will be glad you are back. Also find a Godly woman that you can rely upon (pastors' and deacon wives) hopefully. Always seek Gods' will for your life in prayer. God Bless and let us know how you are.
In Christ, Brad

• Members

Being saved since 1976 (talk about freedom!), didnt make everything "feel" right--it isnt a feeling, but a quiet confidence within--at least it was for me. I have dealt, and am still dealing with Satan trying to accuse me, friends, and family, all the time--thats one of his most favorite things that he likes to do, I am finding out.This has been my favorite verse for awhile since I learned it in our ladies Bible study:"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end. Then shall ye call upon me, and ye shall go and pray unto me, and I will hearken unto you. And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart. And I will be found of you, saith the LORD: and I will turn away your captivity,...." Jeremiah 29:11-14 :praying read Philippians 4:13

• 5 months later...

"And when he had said this, he breathed on them [the apostles], and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost: Whose soever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them; and whose soever sins ye retain, they are retained." - John 20:22-23 (KJV)

• Members

By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once [for all].
And every priest standeth daily ministering and offering oftentimes the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins:
But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God; Heb 10:10-12