• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Repeating a prayer

• Members

I believe a key component alot of people are missing is Holy Ghost conviction. I don't believe a person can get saved until the Holy Ghost is dealing with them. You can tell someone they are a sinner. You can show them according to the scriptures that they are a sinner. But until the Holy Ghost shows them that they are a sinner, their soul sees no need for a Savior. Their intellect may see a need and desire to escape the future damnation that awaits them. However, head knowledge is far different from heart knowledge. The Holy Ghost is the only one who can do that. It is certainly then up to that sinner whether they respond to that Holy Ghost conviction or ignore it.

John 16
8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:
9 Of sin, because they believe not on me;

I remember how miserable I was that morning the Holy Ghost began convicting me. Everything that anyone said to me was like God speaking right through them without them knowing it. No one had to tell me that I was a sinner, because when he showed me I knew for certain the severity of my lost estate and my need for him. I knew for certain my destination. I thank God that morning I came to my knees at an alter and repented of my sinful estate and put my full trust in Christ. No one had to tell me what just happened because the guilt of my sins were gone. No one had to tell me I was saved; I had a pure heart at that point and absolute peace. I could speak directly with God as no sin blocked my way anymore. No one had to tell me God was real for he now dwelt inside of me.

• Members

:amen: JJ.

44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.
John 6:44 (KJV)

6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
John 14:6 (KJV)

Your right, its more than just head knowledge, there are many who know the Holy Scriptures very good, but they fail to rightly understand and divide the Word of the truth and never come to the true understanding of the proper path to the Father.

The thing that surprises me most is those who will not dig into the Word, but will trust in what some man tells them the Bible teaches and go to their grave trusting what that man told them. Those very same people would not trust no one handing their money, but will put the destiny of their soul in the hand of a mere man.

this is a bit off topic. One other thing gets me, how can a person go thru life and never have a part in leading someone to accept Christ as their Savior? Do they really understand the danger the lost souls are in?

Recently as I was leaving morning services I was listing to a local Baptist pastor on the radio as he was ending his sermon. He was trying to get across to his congregation what they were missing out on by not having ever lead anyone to accept the Lord as Savior.

Repeating a prayer Psalms 136

Jesus prays a repeating prayer
?that they may be one, even as we are one? (John 17:11)
?that they may all be one? (John 17:21)
?that they may be one? (John 17:22)
?that they may become perfectly one? (John 17:23)

Another time that Jesus repeats a prayer
?Withdrawing a second time, he prayed again, ?My Father, if it is not possible that this cup pass without my drinking it, your will be done!?? (Matthew 26:42)

?He left them and withdrew again and prayed a third time, saying the same thing again.? (Matthew 26:44)

• 14 years later...
  • Members
On 3/14/2007 at 1:25 AM, Jerry said:

Who has ever been saved without consciously turning to the Lord and calling upon Him in prayer?

This provoked or sparked a question to ask -   If The Creator our Father in Heaven declares one of us or declares someone Justified,   at that moment or point would we or they then be saved ?   I don't know if being justified is or includes in the meaning of being justified also the same or sufficient to mean one is saved ? 

• Members
On 9/10/2021 at 12:09 AM, Martyr_4_FutureJoy said:

This provoked or sparked a question to ask -   If The Creator our Father in Heaven declares one of us or declares someone Justified,   at that moment or point would we or they then be saved ?   I don't know if being justified is or includes in the meaning of being justified also the same or sufficient to mean one is saved ? 

Jeff, what is your point? The moment a person has heard the Word of God and knows that Jesus Christ is the only way, if they accept Christ as Savior, they're saved. They don't even have to say an outward prayer, though it does help solidify the decision in the hearts and minds of many who do. They would have to openly confess that Jesus is the Christ and the only way to salvation. 

• Administrators

Yes Jeff, justified means to be saved.

Justified means:

"declared or made righteous in the sight of God."

"a person or persons believed to be worthy, redeemed, or absolved: Good works are logically and morally necessary, for they are nothing more or less than the evidence that one is indeed among the justified."