• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Eternal security question

• Members

Faith is a human activity but a specific kind of activity, a response which allows salvation to become operative, which receives what has already been accomplished by God in Christ.

God doesn't save a person UNTIL they repent and believe. There is no way around it. You don't have God save you and then you repent and believe. You repent and believe and then God saves you.

Jesus never performed one miracle until they believed. They believed, and then he performed the miracle.

Matthew 8:13 And Jesus said unto the centurion, Go thy way; and as thou hast believed, so be it done unto thee. And his servant was healed in the selfsame hour.

In several cases he performed miracles for people who were not a part of Israel. One woman he even called a dog yet she persisted and he gave her what she desired and said, "O woman, great is thy faith".

Many of those miracles showed a picture of salvation. Everytime it was their belief that came first.

Let's look at something out of Romans 10

13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be (5)saved.
14 How then shall they (4)call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they (3)believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they (2)hear without a preacher?
15 And how shall they preach, except they be (1)sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!

Let's put this in order:

1)preacher sent
2)unbeliever hears the gospel
3)unbeliever believes
4)believer calls on his name
5)believer saved

According to the scriptures, we believe, and then he saves. Not the other way around.

Faith is a human activity

Amen to that!

By the way, faith does not make us of any merit. It simply allows God to do what he desires to do for everyone.

God bless!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

James 2:19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.

I was pondering something this morning. Suppose faith is a gift from God. How did the devils get it? Did God give them their faith? Yet faith did not reconcile the devils because there has been no sacrifice given for them.

There are two kinds of faith I see in the scriptures.

1)There is believing which resulted from seeing:
John 20:29a Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed:

2)and then there is believing that results from not seeing:
John 20:29b blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.

So which one is a gift of God? Also, did he give that gift to the devils knowing it would not result in anything?

It is not faith which does anything by itself. It is the God behind that faith which does something.

God bless!

• Members

James 2:19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.

I was pondering something this morning. Suppose faith is a gift from God. How did the devils get it? Did God give them their faith? Yet faith did not reconcile the devils because there has been no sacrifice given for them.

There are two kinds of faith I see in the scriptures.

1)There is believing which resulted from seeing:
John 20:29a Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed:

2)and then there is believing that results from not seeing:
John 20:29b blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.

So which one is a gift of God? Also, did he give that gift to the devils knowing it would not result in anything?

It is not faith which does anything by itself. It is the God behind that faith which does something.

God bless!

:puzzled: :-S Of course the devils believe, where do you get the idea that demons have "faith"? There is a belief that saves and a belief that doesn't! That verse doesn't say that the devils have "faith," it say that the devils "believe," for the obvious reasons...they were once angels. I believe that the name of this website is Online Baptist, why? Because that's what it reads at the top of the page, and I see it with my very own eyes - not because I have faith. Faith saves, demons don't have faith, think! I will get to your other reply later when I have the time. Have we forgotten the definition of faith? Hebrews 11:1 states "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." Do the demons have this? if not, then how can they have faith?

Love,
Madeline

• Members

:puzzled: :-S Of course the devils believe, where do you get the idea that demons have "faith"? There is a belief that saves and a belief that doesn't! That verse doesn't say that the devils have "faith," it say that the devils "believe," for the obvious reasons...they were once angels. I believe that the name of this website is Online Baptist, why? Because that's what it reads at the top of the page, and I see it with my very own eyes - not because I have faith. Faith saves, demons don't have faith, think! I will get to your other reply later when I have the time.

I thought you said you knew greek? This is the same greek word used in Eph. 2:8.

Same faith. Same belief.

• Members

I thought you said you knew greek? This is the same greek word used in Eph. 2:8.

Same faith. Same belief.

I understand Greek, but you don't seem to understand CONTEXT. Example, the word "ALL" (pas) in the Greek can refer to all in the literal sense or collectively - context determines the meaning. I'll get to your other reply when I have the time. So again, do demons have "faith"?

• Members

In context they had seeing faith. In context Thomas had seeing faith. And in context today people have unseen faith.

Matt. 20
27 Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless, but believing.
28 And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God.
29 Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.

4100 pisteuw pisteuo pist-yoo

• Members

In context they had seeing faith. In context Thomas had seeing faith. And in context today people have unseen faith.

Matt. 20
27 Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless, but believing.
28 And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God.
29 Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.

4100 pisteuw pisteuo pist-yoo

• Members

So who gave them that faith? Who gave Thomas his faith? They are the same kind of faith. Produced within the person just like many will believe without seeing, that faith being produced inside of them. Quit making it some kind of magical thing that people can't grasp or understand. Also, I don't care if you insult me or misrepresent me which you have done many times already. However, please do not insult the word of God with such gross misinterpretations and misrepresentations of his word. He doesn't take to that very lightly.

• Members

So who gave them that faith? Who gave Thomas his faith? They are the same kind of faith. Produced within the person just like many will believe without seeing, that faith being produced inside of them. Quit making it some kind of magical thing that people can't grasp or understand. Also, I don't care if you insult me or misrepresent me which you have done many times already. However, please do not insult the word of God with such gross misinterpretations and misrepresentations of his word. He doesn't take to that very lightly.

The demons possess the SAME type of faith as Thomas? If they were the same type then it would be possible for demons to be saved, you're not thinking JJJ. Why would God bestow faith to demons? The context of James is a belief that saves a and a belief that doesn't. Faith is what? "....the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." What hope do demons have? NONE, nada, naught, zero, zilch! So how do they possess the same faith as true believers? Common sense isn't so common JJJ.

• Members

The demons possess the SAME type of faith as Thomas? If they were the same type then it would be possible for demons to be saved, you're not thinking JJJ. Why would God bestow faith to demons? The context of James is a belief that saves a and a belief that doesn't. Faith is what? "....the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." What hope do demons have? NONE, nada, naught, zero, zilch! So how do they possess the same faith as true believers? Common sense isn't so common JJJ.

Actually, the context of James is people who are already saved. The reason that a demon cannot have redemption is because they have no sacrifice. A perfect man had to die to provide a redemption plan for man.

Hebrews 9:22 And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission.

However, this is totally off topic and no one said they could get saved. I was saying it is the same word and since you said faith comes from God, then, according to your logic, the devils got their belief in God from him.

The thing that you miss is that the Holy Ghost convicts all. We all have that nudge from God to believe, and we all have the choice whether we agree with him that we are a sinner and turn from our sins or not.

Please stop teaching your irresistable grace theories here. They aren't welcome.