• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Eternal Security

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

Hi everyone. As I said in my introductory post in the introductions forum, I am re investigating my Baptist roots. I fully intend to become Baptist again and to stay Baptist. I am currently attending a Fundamentalist Baptist Church called the Gospel Center. Anyway, I am having trouble understanding the doctrine of once saved, always saved or eternal security. Could someone please explain it to me and provide verses to back it up?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Hi everyone. As I said in my introductory post in the introductions forum, I am re investigating my Baptist roots. I fully intend to become Baptist again and to stay Baptist. I am currently attending a Fundamentalist Baptist Church called the Gospel Center. Anyway, I am having trouble understanding the doctrine of once saved, always saved or eternal security. Could someone please explain it to me and provide verses to back it up?

Basically the doctrine of Eternal Security teaches that once someone has truly been born again, this person cannot lose their Salvation because God keeps the person. Here are several verses that back up this doctrine (Jn 3:16; 4:14; 5:24; 6:38-40, 62; 10:28; 17:9-12; Rom. 5:9; 6:2, 9, 10; 8:1; 1 Cor. 15:49; Eph. 1:13; Phil. 1:6; 2:13; Col. 3:3, 4; 2 Tim. 4:18; 1 Thess. 5:23; Heb. 7:25; 10:14; 12:2; 1 Pet. 1:4, 5, 18, 19, 23; 1 Jn. 2:19; 3:2; 5:4). Hope this helps!

Guest Guest

Basically the doctrine of Eternal Security teaches that once someone has truly been born again, this person cannot lose their Salvation because God keeps the person. Here are several verses that back up this doctrine (Jn 3:16; 4:14; 5:24; 6:38-40, 62; 10:28; 17:9-12; Rom. 5:9; 6:2, 9, 10; 8:1; 1 Cor. 15:49; Eph. 1:13; Phil. 1:6; 2:13; Col. 3:3, 4; 2 Tim. 4:18; 1 Thess. 5:23; Heb. 7:25; 10:14; 12:2; 1 Pet. 1:4, 5, 18, 19, 23; 1 Jn. 2:19; 3:2; 5:4). Hope this helps!

This helps very much. :) However, the verse John 17:9-12 confuses me. Here it is:

John 17:9 KJV I pray for them: I pray not for the world, but for them which thou hast given me; for they are thine.

John 17:10 KJV And all mine are thine, and thine are mine; and I am glorified in them.

John 17:11 KJV And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are.

John 17:12 KJV While I was with them in the world, I kept them in thy name: those that thou gavest me I have kept, and none of them is lost, but the son of perdition; that the scripture might be fulfilled.

It says that none of them is lost but the son of perdition. Who is the son of perdition? :puzzled:

Guest Guest

How do you explain Hebrews 6:4-6, 2 Peter 2:20, and Philippians 2:12? These verses confuse me when speaking of eternal security.

• Members

This helps very much. :) However, the verse John 17:9-12 confuses me. Here it is:

John 17:9 KJV I pray for them: I pray not for the world, but for them which thou hast given me; for they are thine.

John 17:10 KJV And all mine are thine, and thine are mine; and I am glorified in them.

John 17:11 KJV And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are.

John 17:12 KJV While I was with them in the world, I kept them in thy name: those that thou gavest me I have kept, and none of them is lost, but the son of perdition; that the scripture might be fulfilled.

It says that none of them is lost but the son of perdition. Who is the son of perdition? :puzzled:

Judas is the Son of Perdition, who was not a true believer, but was the one who carried out the act of betraying Jesus.

• Members

Judas was the son of perdition (cf. 2 Thess. 2:3). Does the phrase "those that Thou gavest Me" refer to those the Father gave to Christ to be saved? Obviously not, because Judas was not a believer and therefore never saved. The only way we can understand the phrase without contradicting Jn. 6:64 is to conclude that "those that Thou gavest Me" refers to those the Father gave to Christ to be followers, not to be saved. We read in John 6:64, "But there are some of you that believe not. For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were that believed not, and who should betray him". The question is, what did our Lord mean by "those Thou hast given"? There is nothing in the word itself that indicates that God gave Judas to Christ to be saved. If He had, Judas would have been a believer. But as we find in Jn. 6:64, Judas was never a believer. We must therefore, conclude that God gave the 12, including Judas, to be Christ's disciples, not to be saved. Jesus also referred to Judas as a "devil" among the disciples in John 6:70, the title of a "devil" hardly sounds like a saved person.

Love,
Madeline

• Members

How do you explain Hebrews 6:4-6, 2 Peter 2:20, and Philippians 2:12? These verses confuse me when speaking of eternal security.

2 Peter 2:20 is speaking of false teachers who infiltrate the church pretending to be Christians but create heresies in order to lead the people astray.

Philippians 2:12 has to do with A: Making sure we are saved, and B: living like we are saved.

Hebrews 6:4-6 is speaking hypothetically.

Guest Guest

Baptist Girl, Do you trust in shed blood of Jesus at Calvary as the basis for your salvation? What do you think Jesus was referring to when He said " It is finished"?

Yes, I definitely do trust in the shed blood of Jesus at Calvary as the basis for my salvation. And when Jesus said "It is finished" I believe He was referring to salvation. :)

Guest Guest

To Catholics, it's to be continued...in purgatory! :roll

Yes and this is very sad. You speak this as though I am a Catholic though and I am not a Catholic. I am a former Catholic.

Guest Guest

Judas is the Son of Perdition, who was not a true believer, but was the one who carried out the act of betraying Jesus.

Oh okay. I didn't realize that Judas was the son of perdition. This and other posts helps me tremendously. Thank you!

Guest Guest

2 Peter 2:20 is speaking of false teachers who infiltrate the church pretending to be Christians but create heresies in order to lead the people astray.

Philippians 2:12 has to do with A: Making sure we are saved, and B: living like we are saved.

Hebrews 6:4-6 is speaking hypothetically.

Okay. I am curious about Hebrews 6:4-6. How is it speaking hypothetically? :puzzled: