• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Hand holding....

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I missed alot today!

Just one thought as there is no way to catch up...

To say "That rule will make your son rebel further...therefore you should not have the rule" is horrible logic.

I hated my dad's rules, I hated that he was the strictest dad in the church, I hated alot about my life between the ages of 15-17. Guess what I stayed out of trouble and went to Bible college and married a great man and have a great family, and am in the ministry today. Glad my dad was stubborn (yep) enough to have rules no matter how angry his daughter got! Glad he didn't get his advice from 18-22 year old girls.....

It's funny how our views change as we progress through life. We see that old dad...or mom...were right after all.

A Child's View of Dad

At Age 4 "My dad can do anything."
At Age 7 "My dad knows a lot, a whole lot!"
At Age 14 "How could I ever expect dad to understand this?"
At Age 19 "My old man just isn't with it!"
At Age 30 "I've got to find out what dad thinks about this."
At Age 40 "Before we decide, let's get dad's idea first."
At Age 60 "My dad knew literally everything."
At Age 65 "How I wish I could talk it over with dad just once more."

• Members

It's funny how our views change as we progress through life. We see that old dad...or mom...were right after all.

A Child's View of Dad

Yep!

There are some things my dad did I didn't agree with...but looking back now I realize he just didn't know what else to do, and was so desperate that I "turn out right" that he did what he could to make sure of it. We all make mistakes. I'm glad, if my dad made any mistake, that it was to err on the side of "too strict" rather than being afraid that I would be angry and trying to be my "friend".

• Members

Yep!

There are some things my dad did I didn't agree with...but looking back now I realize he just didn't know what else to do, and was so desperate that I "turn out right" that he did what he could to make sure of it. We all make mistakes. I'm glad, if my dad made any mistake, that it was to err on the side of "too strict" rather than being afraid that I would be angry and trying to be my "friend".

I think there must be discretion and balance in anything.
I've watched other dads just "let their kids go" and saw what that led to.
Then I have watched dads who were "too busy" and just weren't around.
Saw dads who rode their kidds all the time and never seemed to show any love.

I am guilty as charged....afraid to make them angry...but ending up doing it anyway.

• Members

I am guilty as charged....afraid to make them angry...but ending up doing it anyway.

It just means you have guts....don't worry, they'll get over it.

• Members

A Child's View of Dad

What if you don't have a Dad? :duh

• Members

Because no matter how sexually charged they are, if they love the Lord enough and their relationship with Him is strong and they are in the Word every day like they should be, then they will not mess up just because they held hands or hugged. The heart is wicked, but our love for Christ is supposed to constrain us to do right. It is possible for saved children to do right because of the new nature in them.

Katy-Anne

Supposed to and that is the "best circumstance" but lets be real. How many "good, Christian" people have you seen fall because of the proclaimed love of a man or woman? What about "... yea, many strong men have been slain by her." (pro 7:26b) ?

Woo! Kitagrl! This has gotten me pretty heated up too! Not sure that maybe I shouldn't post anymore except to say that I am a 22 year old young person that is in sympathy with the OP and I pray that the rebellion in this young mans heart will be purged soon!
:respekt:

• Members

A note to Katy Anne on her "refreshing" post. You suggested that teh OP sit down and ask the son to "be a man" and request that the girl not do that any more...well, from what I remember of what I read he did. He started out kindly asking the son to stop her, then kindly asking her to stop, then he made that remark to her in the car. I'm afraid I don't have much sympathy for this girl no matter how much she might be "frustrated" at this situation. She hasn't tried a lick to be compliant and respectful. And I'm afraid the son hasn't tried very hard either and that is the problem.

A quick story before they kick me off of the comptuer here.
My mom was the "overbearing and strict" mom her at church all my growing up years. People around here, even at church sometimes, thought she was nuts. But now at 22 I can look back and be ever grateful that she was. IT's because she was that I am not in a hasty marriage and pregnant. Now some people look at us funny and think that they've proved their point because earlier this year my sister ran away. Yes, she up and left for Grandma's to "think things through". Well, do you know that if we look at her situation and consider what might have brought her to that point, this biggest thing that did was a young man in our church. He decided that he liked her and gave her a taste of things she hadn't been allowed to taste and wan't oging to unti marrigae(no they didn't sleep together) and all behind my parents back. So it wasn't my mom's overbearing rules that ran her off, contrary to some peopele opinion, but it was a young man telling her not so subtily that she didn't have to listne to her parents and taht she could do what she wanted to.
well, i'm not exactly done here but someone needs my comptuer. Hope I've kinda made a point here.
heartstrings, keep it up.
~Sarah

• Members

Good posting Sarah!

As mentioned, I also was raised by "the strictest parents in church" but it kept me out of trouble. Yeah my sister rebelled some behind their backs, and I had a horrible attitude to their face. But in the end, we both ended up at the marriage altar pure and in the ministry. My brother is doing pretty good himself, although my mom died in a tragic wreck when he was 15 and he had to grow up really fast because my dad did not handle it well. But even he is in Bible college today and married to a sweet girl.

Just because some here were not raised by strict Christian parents does not mean that strict is bad. It just means you have a streak of rebellion in you that thinks strict is unhealthy.

• Administrators

A note to Katy Anne on her "refreshing" post. You suggested that teh OP sit down and ask the son to "be a man" and request that the girl not do that any more...well, from what I remember of what I read he did. He started out kindly asking the son to stop her, then kindly asking her to stop, then he made that remark to her in the car. I'm afraid I don't have much sympathy for this girl no matter how much she might be "frustrated" at this situation. She hasn't tried a lick to be compliant and respectful. And I'm afraid the son hasn't tried very hard either and that is the problem.

A quick story before they kick me off of the comptuer here.
My mom was the "overbearing and strict" mom her at church all my growing up years. People around here, even at church sometimes, thought she was nuts. But now at 22 I can look back and be ever grateful that she was. IT's because she was that I am not in a hasty marriage and pregnant. Now some people look at us funny and think that they've proved their point because earlier this year my sister ran away. Yes, she up and left for Grandma's to "think things through". Well, do you know that if we look at her situation and consider what might have brought her to that point, this biggest thing that did was a young man in our church. He decided that he liked her and gave her a taste of things she hadn't been allowed to taste and wan't oging to unti marrigae(no they didn't sleep together) and all behind my parents back. So it wasn't my mom's overbearing rules that ran her off, contrary to some peopele opinion, but it was a young man telling her not so subtily that she didn't have to listne to her parents and taht she could do what she wanted to.
well, i'm not exactly done here but someone needs my comptuer. Hope I've kinda made a point here.
heartstrings, keep it up.
~Sarah

Good post, Sarah!!! That verse, "evil communications corrupt good manners," explains a whole lot! It doesn't have to be something or someone that is obviously wicked or bad or rebellious. Most of the time, it is the small things that work on us...like that verse that says, "Little foxes spoil the vine." The devil knows how to get kids who have been brought up strictly...their "friends" can do it every time...and that is one of the reasons we have to watch our children's friends!

Suzy - just wanted to tell you that I always thought you and your sister were lovely examples of young Christian women when you were in college. And I am really glad God has used you both in the way He has and will continue to do so. You are both a tribute to your parents and your God!