• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Hand holding....

Guest Guest

If a parent teaches a child that they want them to stay at home until the child is married, what is it to you? If it isn't taught in your home, it isn't any of your business!!!

Then if it's not my business to discuss it, the parent posting it should not have put it up on this board for discussion. Anything on this board becomes public knowledge and someone is going to discuss it whether they like it or not. That's just the way things are with the internet.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

What about kids that move out to go to Bible college? I think I said it before, but I'm going to be moving out eventually to go to a Bible Institute. There is no dorms there, so I will be roommating with a Christian lady from the church who is single and in her late twenties. I'm not going to be under the authority of my parents even though I'll still call them and ask them for advice about stuff. I believe it is God's will for me to do this and He has opened so many doors already....are you saying that would be wrong for me to do?

If your parents give you their blessings to do so, then by all means you should go to bible college. By calling your parents and seeking their advice, you are still obeying scriptures, and if something ever happened and they asked you to return home, you would do so. You are still "under authority" even though it is of a softer and more gentler sort that the rigid authority that Sister Katy-Anne keeps referring to. Your parents love you and want the best for you, and that is how it should be. They have made a lot of sacrafices to get you this far, and as they grow older and physically weaker, they are going to depend on you to do likewise for them when they are not able to take care of themselves.

I come from a very large family and all of this seems like a "no-brainer" to me - I don't understand why some people have trouble accepting it. Hasn't anyone ever seen "The Waltons" before? The whole family - Mom and Dad, Grandma and Grandpa, and all the children and grandchildren lived together on Waltons Mountain for generation after generation. The children grew up, got married, and built a home right there on the family homestead. That is Biblical.

• Administrators

What about kids that move out to go to Bible college? I think I said it before, but I'm going to be moving out eventually to go to a Bible Institute. There is no dorms there, so I will be roommating with a Christian lady from the church who is single and in her late twenties. I'm not going to be under the authority of my parents even though I'll still call them and ask them for advice about stuff. I believe it is God's will for me to do this and He has opened so many doors already....are you saying that would be wrong for me to do?

Technically, you will still be under the authority of your father...until he gives your hand in marriage. That doesn't mean you don't make decisions, it simply means that he will stand before God to answer for your life until your marriage (you answer, too, but he does as your father). Heavy stuff, but thus is the responsibility of the head of the home. If he gives you permission to live with this lady, that is fully in his biblical right. And I hope you enjoy college. My college years were wonderful!

And as far as discussion of things...when I said it wasn't someone's business, I meant that it wasn't up to anyone to criticize in the hateful way that's been done. Discussion is one thing, but twisting words and being downright mean aren't right...that's what I meant. And I wasn't aiming it at you, KJB.

Guest Guest

I agree, no one should be hateful or criticize a dad for his decisions, but most of the posts here are just discussion...it just gets a little heated at times, especially when adults keep telling me and others my age that we basically shouldn't be saying anything about it because we're so young and still at "that age" where we want to be told it's ok to hold hands and kiss your boyfriend.

To be honest, this topic probably should've never been here in the first place because I still don't think it's fair for a father to discuss his son's rebellion on a public forum. This topic has brought out some bad attitudes in many people (I even have to admit it's hard to keep a good attitude while discussing it). If I were talking to my parents about this subject, there wouldn't be a conflict. It's just hard for families to discuss their rules regarding teenagers with each other because someone is gonna get upset somewhere.

• Members

Since I was evidently misunderstood, I will requote my response to the account of the perverted father.

Ok....here's the next verse....
Eph 6:4 And, ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord. I certainly don't believe that making girls take a shower with the door open or any kind of stupid junk like that is "nurture and admonition" Katy-Anne. As a matter of fact...that WOULD cause some "wrath". That is UNGODLY I also know of a few fathers who molested their own kids....would that cause wrath??..I think yeah.
Here's the difference.
I am the father who wouldn't allow my kids to go over and play or "sleep over" at the cousins'.....or "church kids" house because I could see the rebellion, disobedience and lack of standards in those homes...later to find out that sin and rebellion came to fruition in that kid's life...because their parents had no standards. I make NO apologies for that, my friends. Now those kids are living in sin and rebellion, divorced, fornication, drugs, effeminate, jailed, commiting adultery and who knows what else. Yes I sheltered my kids from alot of junk and for doing so, I make no apology. MY kids are and will be much happier and will make something of themselves in life. Their attitudes and life already show it. My kids have and are having a better, happier life than I had because I was not raised in a Christian home.
Having a Christian home is all about LOVE, not just a bunch of rules. But there has to be some rules not for oppression but for protection.

Thanks for all of the responses. Seeing both views has been a big help and given me much insight on this. I am now more resolved than ever to stick to my guns.
I see no need to carry it any further on my behalf.
God bless all.

• Members

Good grief, this thread is ridiculous.

"What about this? What about that? What if this? What if that?"

"What if" is NOT Bible!

We've seen Bible given to support the original posters rule. The original poster is not a sexual pervert. He is not an abusive dad. He is not an overly strict dad. He is not oppressive. He does not provoke his children to wrath. He does not make them shower in public. He does not make them pick their nose and eat it. For goodness sake he asks that they do not touch per I Corinthians!!!!!!!!!! The boy ought to be man enough to obey this simple BIBLICAL request and if his girl doesn't like it, there are plenty of girls out there that WILL.

I'd appreciate it if some of you young kids who are not parents would quit with the attitude (which I'm sure the original poster sees plenty of in his own son, he doesn't need YOURS) and the "what ifs" and the "I feel" and "I believe" and "parents fault" and "rotten parents" and "poor teen" and "move out, you're 18" junk....and button your mouth so you don't have to eat crow when you are at your wit's end someday with your own slew of teenagers. The attitude around here STINKS because some of you think you know all there is about parenting just because you are the same age as the OP's son. Well no wonder the OP is having trouble with his son if he is anything like some of you are acting.

I pray God you will not reap what you have sown this week in this thread. As the OP is finished, I think we all are.