• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

What If I Don't Feel Saved?

Guest Guest

• Members

The fact is this. If you believe that Jesus died for your sins, rose again to conquer death and is the Son of God...And if you know that you are a sinner deserving to go to hell because you've broken at least one (probably all, like everyone else) of God's laws, but Jesus paid that penalty for you...then whether you "feel" it or not, you are saved! Now whether you're going to start racking up rewards in heaven is up to you. But Jesus only had to die once for the sins (as someone else said, past, present and future) of mankind.

Amen and amen! I wholeheartedly agree with you, and I could not have said it any better!

:clap: :thumb :goodpost::godisgood::goodpost: :thumb :clap:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

[quote="buzzoff1031"]
[quote="Madeline"]
[quote="buzzoff1031"]
The fact is this. If you believe that Jesus died for your sins, rose again to conquer death and is the Son of God...And if you know that you are a sinner deserving to go to hell because you've broken at least one (probably all, like everyone else) of God's laws, but Jesus paid that penalty for you...then whether you "feel" it or not, you are saved! Now whether you're going to start racking up rewards in heaven is up to you. But Jesus only had to die once for the sins (as someone else said, past, present and future) of mankind.
[/quote]

Amen and amen! I wholeheartedly agree with you, and I could not have said it any better!

:clap: :thumb :goodpost: :godisgood: :goodpost: :thumb :clap:[/quote]

Well, they're God's words, I just put 'em on this forum. (Really reiterated them...others have basically said the same.)[/quote]
Agree with above post...Jesus paid it all, all to Him I owe, sin had left a crimson stain, He washed me white as snow!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
Hi everyone. What should I do if I don't feel saved? I know that one should not rely on feelings but sometimes I seriously wonder if I am saved and I have said that sinner's prayer (and meant it) countless times.

Hmmm....the sinnner's prayer has nothing to do (whatsoever) with salvation. There is no need for the prayer, don't trust in it. My father struggled with this issue for years, he has often said "I set the world's record in sinner's prayers, and still doubted my salvation. I thought many times, 'maybe I'm just not sincere enough'." The key is to take your eyes off of what you have done - and can do - and rest your eyes on what Christ has done. Nothing you can do will ever be good enough to satisfy the righteousness of God; you can repeat the sinner's prayer, ask Jesus into your heart all you want to, but God will never accept that as atonement for your sins. The only thing that he will accept is perfection, perfection that you cannot achieve. That's why He sent His son to be perfect for you. Do you want to know that you are saved without any doubt? Look to the cross, and behold your substitute. Rest in the fact that Jesus was perfect for you and that when He died he paid the penalty for your sins. There is no prayer required, simply place your faith in what He has done for you and you need never doubt or worry again.

• Members
There is no prayer required, simply place your faith in what He has done for you and you need never doubt or worry again.

Romans 10:13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

That is prayer - not a "sinner's prayer", but definitely a sinner praying.

• Members

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe I said that there was no prayer required, not that you could not pray. I was simply trying to reemphasize the fact that prayer is not a requirement for salvation. Prayer is something that you may do when you place your faith in Christ, but is not something that you should place your faith in.

Romans 10:14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed?
Faith (or belief) comes first.

• Members

Jerry, lets exegete that passage and see what it really means.

The larger context of the Bible, including that of the book of Romans, and the immediate context of the tenth chapter of Romans (Romans 10:4,13), harmoniously assert the Scriptural doctrine of justification by faith alone. What, then, does the Bible mean when it states "with the mouth confession is made unto salvation"? If it was here asserted that certain motions of the jawbone and tongue and the consequent formation of words was a condition for justification, the Bible would be contradictory; it would here assert a method of salvation other then that by faith alone in this place. However, numerous pieces of soulwinning literature published by those who believe in salvation by faith confuse the issue through misuse of these two verses. Confession with the mouth is equated with prayer, and it is then stated that one must pray in order to be saved. However, the common word for prayer in the New Testament is proseuchomai, "to pray,? not homologeo, "to confess," or pisteuo, "to believe." Prayer is clearly a different act from believing, which is what the Bible states is necessary to receive justification. Matthew 21:22 and Mark 11:24 speak of saints asking God for things in faith and receiving them, but this is clearly distinct from being justified upon trusting or believing in Christ. Some assert that the confession and belief in Romans 10:9 are synonymous in this passage; the individual is seen as trusting in Christ when he praysto him and asks to be saved. Since "if you pray and trust in Christ, you will be saved" does not logically necessitate "if you do not pray, but trust in Christ, you will not be saved," (cf. Mk. 16:16, Jn. 3:18), which is a false, heretical gospel, this passage canin this manner be reconciled with the the doctrine of salvation by grace through faith alone. Hope this helps!

Love,
Madeline

• Members

Well, we've been there, done that - so I don't want to do it all over again. I was just commenting on the phrase. But trace out "call upon" or "call on" - and it means prayer. The Bible says you must call upon God to be saved, so I cannot see how someone is saved apart from communing with the Lord - the publican cried out to God, the thief on the cross spoke to Christ, confessing your sins to God involves prayer - every person I know who was ever saved prayed to ask the Lord to save them or forgive them of their sins, etc. So you have your opinion and I have mine - but the Bible says we need to call upon the Lord to be saved.

• Members
Well' date=' we've been there, done that - so I don't want to do it all over again. I was just commenting on the phrase. But trace out "call upon" or "call on" - and it means prayer. The Bible says you must call upon God to be saved, so I cannot see how someone is saved apart from communing with the Lord - the publican cried out to God, the thief on the cross spoke to Christ, confessing your sins to God involves prayer - every person I know who was ever saved prayed to ask the Lord to save them or forgive them of their sins, etc. So you have your opinion and I have mine - but the Bible says we need to call upon the Lord [i']to be saved.

There is no difference between Jew and Greek because "the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him." How can men know that the Lord is rich to the ones who call upon him (Gk. present tense)? They know this "for (because) whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved," as Romans 10:13, quoting Joel 2:32, states. Verse twelve is proven to be true from OT Scripture, just like verse 10 is validated by the quotation in verse 11. Neither verse 12 nor verse 13 deal with the means or condition of justification - they present the extent within the body of mankind to whom the offer of the kingdom of God is given, namely,"whosoever." They are not intended to explain the condition of the new birth or the means of receiving it. Those who are able to truly pray to the Lord, even once (if the aorist of 10:13 is taken as point action) and consequently are characterized by calling on Him (v. 12, present tense, cf. Lk. 18:7) have already been saved by faith, as verse fourteen makes clear; it is impossible for those to call (future tense) on the Lord in whom they have not already believed (aorist tense). Romans 10:13 does not give a condition for justification at all; it only proves what verse twelve states, that "there is no respect of persons with God" (Rom 2:6-11). Romans 10:13 can be reconciled to other Scripture, and a false gospel of justification by the religious work of prayer is avoided. However, we must teach what the passage actually declares, not simply "reconcile" it. Whether or nor Romans 10:13 speaks of asking God to be saved will be dealt with below as we shall CLEARLY see. Rom. 10:9,10 does not say "prayer is made unto salvation," but "confession is made unto salvation." The word homologeo is found 24 times in 21 New Testament verses: Matt. 7:23 ("profess"); 10:32; 14:7 ("promised"); Lk. 12:8 (twice); Jn. 1:20 (twice); 9:22; 12:42; Acts. 23:8; 24:14; Rom. 10:9-10; 1 Tim. 6:12 ("professed");Tit. 1:16 ("profess"); Heb. 11:13; 13:15 ("giving thanks"); 1 Jn. 1:9; 2:23("acknowledgeth"); 4:2,3, 15; 2 Jn. 1:7. In all of these verses, with the likely exception of 1 Jn. 1:9, public confession before men is in view, not private prayer. 1 Jn. 1:9, unlike the other passages, appears to deal with where the Christian's prayer to God for forgiveness and restoration of fellowship. No homologeo passage refers to a lost man asking God to save him and consequently receiving forgiveness. We are saved by "faith" alone. Hope this helps!

Love,
Madeline

• Members
In all of these verses, with the likely exception of 1 Jn. 1:9, public confession before men is in view, not private prayer.

Well, then you've got a problem because Romans 10:9-10 quite clearly state that it is that confession that saves a person.

Romans 10:9-10 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

Confession means "agreeing with" - it is "agreeing with" the Lord (same as 1 John 1:9) that results in your salvation. This passage is not referring to confession AFTER salvation but confession UNTO salvation - ie. how to be saved.

• Members
Well, then you've got a problem because Romans 10:9-10 quite clearly state that it is that confession that saves a person.

Romans 10:9-10 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

Confession means "agreeing with" - it is "agreeing with" the Lord (same as 1 John 1:9) that results in your salvation. This passage is not referring to confession AFTER salvation but confession UNTO salvation - ie. how to be saved.

What problem? I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with? I am disagreeing with your theological position that "prayer" is essential to Salvation, not confession. I'm simply showing you where you're clearly wrong. The specification in Romans 10:9,10 that the confession is "with the mouth" necessitates that the act referred to in these verses is actually confessing Christ with the mouth before men, not praying to be saved. Those who believe prayer is found in Romans 10:9,10 typically affirm that, whilst prayer is necessary for salvation, one must not speak certain words with his lips or he is not saved, since this is plainly a repudiation of salvation by faith alone for a gospel as false as baptismal regeneration or other forms of ritualistic pseudo-gospel. However, these verses specify that this confession is "with the mouth," and spiritualization of this plain Scriptural statement is completely unjustified hermeneutically. We dishonor God and endanger the souls of men when we spiritualise or otherwise misinterpret Scripture, especially soteriological verses. The confession here referred speaks of a public confession of Christ before men; compare (Matt. 10:32; Lk. 12:8; Jn. 9:22;12:42; Acts 24:14; 1 Tim. 6:12) Such a confession is a mark of a true believer in Christ; it is a not a prerequisite to justification, but an aspect of the regenerate life that marks the saint of God. In the same way that every saved man purifies himself and does righteousness (1 Jn. 3:3,7, etc.), so the saint of God characteristically confesses his Lord before men.

Love,
Madeline

• Members
The confession here referred speaks of a public confession of Christ before men

THAT's the problem! You accuse me of explaining away the verse, but I take it at face value:

Romans 10:10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

It says in order to be saved, confession must be made - it isn't speaking about after salvation but UNTO salvation. I believe it is confession to God, just like in 1 John 1:9. If you believe it is confession before men, then the problem is that, according to this verse interpreted in your view, salvation is not attained until confession is made before men. THAT presents a contradiction in the Scriptures.

• Members
THAT's the problem! You accuse me of explaining away the verse, but I take it at face value:

Romans 10:10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

It says in order to be saved, confession must be made - it isn't speaking about after salvation but UNTO salvation. I believe it is confession to God, just like in 1 John 1:9. If you believe it is confession before men, then the problem is that, according to this verse interpreted in your view, salvation is not attained until confession is made before men. THAT presents a contradiction in the Scriptures.

Ummm...I didn't accuse you of anything, and there are no contradictions. I think you misunderstood my posts or you misinterpreted the context of that passage. Yes, that verse says confession is made UNTO salvation (Final salvation or Glorification of the body as we shall see). Confession is made "homologeo," is a (Present passive indicative), which is like saying confession is being made unto salvation. Another example of a (Present passive indicative) would be "Jerry is being replied to." Now that we got that out of the way...let's dissect that passage, and how you have not properly exegeted that passage as we shall see." Romans 10:11 (cf. Isa 28:16) provides contextual support for the view mentioned in my previous post. The "for" which begins the verse demonstrates that proof is here given of the declarations of the preceding verses; 10:9,10 cannot declare that confession is needed as a supplement to belief for justification, or that confession is a necessary means whereby justification were obtained, for 10:11 deals only with belief. Those who believe will enter God's eternal kingdom, and thus not be found "ashamed," as will those without imputed righteousness at the future bar of judgment. One who has believed in his heart will also not be "ashamed" to confess Jesus with his mouth before others; it is something that the justified one will do, a mark of his conversion. The view that Romans 10:9,10 refer to praying for justification, rather than confessing Christ with the mouth after justification, does not deal with Romans 10:11. It is noteworthy that many of the tracts that quote Romans 10:9,10 to support prayer for justification leave out verse 11. The calling of Romans 10:13, just like the confessing of Romans 10:9,10, is a part of the Christian lifestyle, not a means of justification. The point here is that salvation is offered to all Jews or Gentiles (10:12) without discrimination; all those that are calling upon Him, that pray to Him and love Him because they have been justified, will go toheaven. Since Romans 10:13 quotes the Old Testament, it is demonstrated that salvation was open to all there as well. Whilst confessing with the mouth has nothing to do with prayer, here the calling does indeed deal with prayer, but it is the prayer of one who has already been washed in the blood, not the prayer of the lost towards that end. The significance of calling on the name of the Lord is made clear by a comparison with its other appearances in the Old and New Testaments and the immediate context; Rom. 10:13 is a promise that those who pray to their Lord (an inevitable characteristic of the life of the righteous, Job 27:10, and a mark of the new birth which the ungodly lack, Psalm 14:4, of having been justified, just like good works, Rom. 2:6-11; 1 Jn. 3:7) will be ultimately saved; the prayer involved is post-justification and pre-glorification. The Bible teaches that the saint has been saved from the eternal penalty for sin in justification (Acts 16:31), is being saved from sin in his daily walk in progressive sanctification (Php. 2:12), and will be saved from the presence of sin in the fullness of his salvation at glorification. Furthermore, such a saint will be saved in the sense that he will enter into the millenial kingdom (which is what Joel 2:32 deals with.) All three of these aspects occur in the redeemed soul - one who claims to be justified, but in whom God works no progressive sanctification over time and so is not being saved, has not been saved or justified, and will not be saved or glorified unless he truly repents and believes. The future, post-justification use of the word "salvation," which appears in verses like (Rom. 13:11; Lk. 1:71; 1 Thess. 5:9; Heb. 9:28; 1 Pet. 1:5; 1 Cor. 3:15; and 2 Tim. 4:18), and, as we have already seen, in the immediate context of Romans 10:9,10, is what is in view in Romans 10:13. This is conclusively proven by Romans 10:14, which specifically states that it is impossible for those who have not already believed (and consequently been justified, Rom 10:4, etc., to call on the name of the Lord. "How then shall they call (future indicative) on him in whom they have not believed (aorist indicative)?" Only believers are able to call on the Lord, according to the immediate context of Romans 10:13! The verse has nothing whatsoever with the lost asking God to save them. The fact that whosoever truly prays to God shall enter His kingdom is a comfort to the believer, but it does not prove that the lost are justified by prayer. The fact that whosoever receives a child in Christ's name (something only a saint can do) receives the Savior (Mk. 9:37) does not prove that the way a lost man receives Christ and is justified is by helping children; that whosoever gives a cup of water to a disciple out of true love for Christ (only the saints have true love for Christ) will surely be rewarded (Mk. 9:41) does not mean that the lost will receive forgiveness and heavenly reward by giving water to disciples; that "whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God" (1 Jn. 3:10) does not prove that doing righteousness is necessary for justification - it shows that the saints are characterized by righteousness; that "whosoever loveth and maketh a lie" is cast into the lake of fire (Rev. 22:15) does not prove that justification is obtained by refraining from fibbing, but shows that it will not characterize those who have been reckoned righteous for Christ's sake. So the fact that "whosever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved" does not mean that prayer is the means of justification, but demonstrates that calling on the Lord is an activity which characterizes God's people, a fact we see from analysis of other appearances of the phrase in the Bible. Praise the Lord that we are saved by Grace through Faith. :sing: :clap: :sing:

Love,
Madeline