• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Working on Sunday

• Members

My job requires me to work on Sunday... I do have character.... not everyone has the opportunity to be off on Sunday.... some people do not have the luxury of being a "homemaker" or setting their own days off. It is really annoying when people come accross as holier than thou... when it comes to working on Sunday. Do any of you people that DO NOT WORK on Sunday's go out after church? To eat, to go to the grocery store etc..... you should not be frequenting those places on Sunday's. If people did not go to thosre places on Sunday's... then we would NOT have to work on Sunday, and could be in CHURCH.... you need to look at it both ways.... some people have to work to make a living.....

It is really irritating to ME when I say "some people" and people read that and start getting defensive. So if you do not fall into the categories I mentioned, then obviously I was not talking about you.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I am a motel manager. We live at the motel and are responsible for cleaning and maintainance as well. However, I close the office on Sunday morning and evening for church. We do not do laundry or clean empty rooms on Sunday. I won't do any work on Sunday unless it is an absolute emergency.

Oh, by the way, we don't shop, eat out, buy gas, ect. on Sundays either.

• Members

I don't like working on sundays unless it's at a church or missions field or a ministry. Those types of Jobs are for the Lord and you can pick your own day of rest if your in that field. However, if you go to a secular Job that is of the world and they want you to work sundays and won't give it to you that is wrong.

• Members

Hypothetically speaking: if we as Christians are not supposed to "remember the sabbath day to keep it holy" then why should we as Christians obey any of the other commandents? How many of us have the 10 commandments posted in our homes? Why not just post 9 instead of 10 since the other one supposedly no longer applies?

Study out the sabbath - read every single Bible passage on the issue, then come to your conclusion. The sabbath is clearly stated various times to be a covenant SPECIFICALLY with Israel and God alone, not with the Gentiles, not with the church. Exodus 31 is a prime example of that. Then look how many passages in the New Testament command us today to observe the sabbath - there are none, yet the other 9 commandments are restated over and over, and Colossians 2 quite clearly teaches that the sabbath is not binding on the Christian today. No hypotheticals about it - this is a commandment that is fulfilled and done away with. Do you still offer animal sacrifices and abstain from eating unclean foods? No? Why not? Because the NT teaches they are done away with.

• Members

Hypothetically speaking: if we as Christians are not supposed to "remember the sabbath day to keep it holy" then why should we as Christians obey any of the other commandents? How many of us have the 10 commandments posted in our homes? Why not just post 9 instead of 10 since the other one supposedly no longer applies? Yes, there are some occupations that "require" Sunday work but for the majority of people, the one motivation for working on Sunday is THE LOVE OF MONEY!

The Sabbath is from Friday 6 PM to Saturday 6 PM. Not Sunday. Also, according to the Mosaic Law, you are not to cook on the Sabbath. You are not to do any work, nor your servants. That would include any chores at home. You are not to light any fires. Any food you eat should be prepared prior.

The old covenant which God had was with the nation of Israel. This nation was commissioned by God to be a light to other nations. They were obligated to keep that covenant to receive certain blessings and, if they didn't, certain cursings. To become part of the nation of Israel you needed to be circumcised. You also were required to keep 3 feasts at Jerusalem every year. You were also to honor the Sabbath day, "keep it holy".

The new covenant which Jesus Christ has is with a congregation called the "church". This congregation was given certain blessings (no cursings; "was not yea and nay, but in him was yea."). This congregation was also given certain commandments which are harder then those of the old covenant but based on them(i.e. "Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery: But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart."). To become part of this congregation requires being scripturally baptized(after believing; which commemorates the death, burial and resurrection of our dear Lord) and joining into fellowship. This congregation was given the Lord's Supper to perform "in remembrance" of our dear Lord. This congregation was set as a light to shine unto the world("Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.") and commissioned to spread the gospel.

But no where was this new covenant(or new testament) given the responsibility of circumcision or keeping the sabbath. Nor was this new covenant required to keep sacrifices every year. No where was this new covenant required not to eat certain foods(thank goodness :smile ).

Would you desire to be in bondage under the old?

"And that because of false brethren unawares brought in, who came in privily to spy out our liberty which we have in Christ Jesus, that they might bring us into bondage: To whom we gave place by subjection, no, not for an hour; that the truth of the gospel might continue with you."

The new is better:

Hebrews 7:22 By so much was Jesus made a surety of a better testament.

God bless!

• Members

The Sabbath is from Friday 6 PM to Saturday 6 PM. Not Sunday. Also, according to the Mosaic Law, you are not to cook on the Sabbath. You are not to do any work, nor your servants. That would include any chores at home. You are not to light any fires. Any food you eat should be prepared prior.

The old covenant which God had was with the nation of Israel. This nation was commissioned by God to be a light to other nations. They were obligated to keep that covenant to receive certain blessings and, if they didn't, certain cursings. To become part of the nation of Israel you needed to be circumcised. You also were required to keep 3 feasts at Jerusalem every year. You were also to honor the Sabbath day, "keep it holy".

The new covenant which Jesus Christ has is with a congregation called the "church". This congregation was given certain blessings (no cursings; "was not yea and nay, but in him was yea."). This congregation was also given certain commandments which are harder then those of the old covenant but based on them(i.e. "Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery: But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart."). To become part of this congregation requires being scripturally baptized(after believing; which commemorates the death, burial and resurrection of our dear Lord) and joining into fellowship. This congregation was given the Lord's Supper to perform "in remembrance" of our dear Lord. This congregation was set as a light to shine unto the world("Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.") and commissioned to spread the gospel.

But no where was this new covenant(or new testament) given the responsibility of circumcision or keeping the sabbath. Nor was this new covenant required to keep sacrifices every year. No where was this new covenant required not to eat certain foods(thank goodness :smile ).

Would you desire to be in bondage under the old?

"And that because of false brethren unawares brought in, who came in privily to spy out our liberty which we have in Christ Jesus, that they might bring us into bondage: To whom we gave place by subjection, no, not for an hour; that the truth of the gospel might continue with you."

The new is better:

Hebrews 7:22 By so much was Jesus made a surety of a better testament.

God bless!

But what if you are wrong?

• Members

But what if you are wrong?

Wrong about...? Please be more specific. Whether I am right or wrong should not matter. What the Bible says should. I'm not giving any of my opinions. I am giving what the scriptures clearly come out and say. (If I am giving an opinion I try my best to say so.)

• Members

So what I am understanding as I read the posts in this thread is that there is a certain group of Christian people, who do not believe that there is any such a thing as having a sixth day of rest - be it Saturday or Sunday or any other day of the week? Does that mean we are to work seven days a week and all is well and no fears or worries about committing a sin against God?

Am I also reading that there is a certain group of Christians who do not believe that working instead of attending worship is wrong either, and you gotta do what you gotta do? Following that line of reasoning does that mean if you have a job that lets you have the weekends off, maybe you ought to simply take a second job and add a few more hours of work in between to earn a few more dollars? Then that must mean it is okay for all the stores to be open and everyone working on Sundays is perfectly fine with God and we can just keep toiling away?

I guess I am having a difficult time understanding all of this? When did people start thinking it is okay to justify working on Sundays when it has not always been so? Is this a regional thing or does everyone outside of Kentucky believe this? :puzzled:

Are people mistaking religious freedom with religious liberalism? Our country was was founded on the concept of freedom of religion and not freedom from religion.

• Members

Am I also reading that there is a certain group of Christians who do not believe that working instead of attending worship is wrong either, and you gotta do what you gotta do?

You would not have gotten that from anything I wrote in my post unless you took it totally out of context (actually not even then, because I neither stated nor implied any such thing). And you wouldn't do that, would you?

• Members

So what I am understanding as I read the posts in this thread is that there is a certain group of Christian people, who do not believe that there is any such a thing as having a sixth day of rest - be it Saturday or Sunday or any other day of the week? Does that mean we are to work seven days a week and all is well and no fears or worries about committing a sin against God?

Am I also reading that there is a certain group of Christians who do not believe that working instead of attending worship is wrong either, and you gotta do what you gotta do? Following that line of reasoning does that mean if you have a job that lets you have the weekends off, maybe you ought to simply take a second job and add a few more hours of work in between to earn a few more dollars? Then that must mean it is okay for all the stores to be open and everyone working on Sundays is perfectly fine with God and we can just keep toiling away?

I guess I am having a difficult time understanding all of this? When did people start thinking it is okay to justify working on Sundays when it has not always been so? Is this a regional thing or does everyone outside of Kentucky believe this? :puzzled:

Are people mistaking religious freedom with religious liberalism? Our country was was founded on the concept of freedom of religion and not freedom from religion.

I observe Sunday as a day of rest. Between services on Sundays, I do no work at all. I don't cut grass, don't chop wood, nothing except normal chores that need done (like dishes, feeding the dog, etc.). As for having a job to go to on Sunday, I don't think I would take one that requires me to work on Sunday. I just applied for PENNDOT (PA dept. of transportation) which would give me weekends off. I don't see any way to justify missing either service on Sunday if you are serious about serving God.