• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

How to get rid of the junk on a new Windows PC

• 4 months later...
  • Members

I know this is an old post but, I just thought I would reply as maybe it will help someone else at this time.

I assume you are talking about the add-ons like games, trial software etc. Please take heed to the following items:

1-First make a set of recovery disks for your computer; this is easy to do and can be found in your XP installation; it is usually listed as "PC help and tools" and will have a listing for create a recovery disk, or something similar to this. On the Compaq Presario, it took a total of ten disks. Making a set of disks is very important, in the event that you do something wrong, or have a system crash, then all you need to do is reboot with your recovery disks.

2-Now with pencil and paper, yes, I said pencil and paper.....go into your start up panel and make a list of everything that you want to take off; then go to control panel and delete the items one by one. Some things may require a restart, but you can delay restart until after you have deleted all that you want to.

3-When the system boots back up, go into C-drive and double-click on programs, and look for any of the programs that you deleted in control panel, but still show up. If you find any, then delete them.

4-After you have done this, look to see if all of the shortcut icons are gone off of your desktop. If there are any, simply delete them to get them out of the way.

5- Most applications will warn you ahead of time if you really want to delete a file or program; if in doubt, do not do it. However, if you accidently delete the wrong thing; don't panic, just reboot your system with your recovery disks.

6-Be very cautious about downloading games, etc from the 'net; most will have adware, spyware, malware linked to them from 3rd party sites that pay them well for the ride into your system. Two sites I would not be scared to recommend...Popcap Games, and Mumbo Jumbo; MJ writes and designs games for Popcap, and both are secure companies and family friendly with their games.

7-Some of the printing programs, and clip art publishing programs are huge and eat up enormous amounts of memory..........be cautious with these simply because they are so large.

Good computing.

gatorpreacher :amen::amen: :amen:

• Members

I'll second submitting a message in this thread!

I'm not sure how long ago it was--all of a sudden it is September... I was expecting a new year, It seems to be late or something--but my brother bought a computer a while back which was pre-loaded with trouble software. I was a bit upset because he didn't have the money to spend, and I could have gotten him one for less than half of what he paid easily... and it would have been even more powerful... anyway, I was wondering--is there anything out there that isn't Adobe and views PDF documents for Windows? It kept crashing the browser after taking a while to start...

There was a way around it, but he hates it now...

• Members

Adobe is the only thing I have any trouble with. I even downloaded the latest one and installed it, but still many times when I click on a PDF file, it will lock up my browser.

I know there is a program that will do what it does, I saw it sometime back, but have not been able to find it again.

I've gotten where I will not click on a PDF file.

• Members
Well, the only way to get rid of all the junk on a Windows PC, is, of course, to un-install windows.

Not always the most efficient solution though :duh

Is all you are really looking for is a PDF reader, look at Foxit Reader. Adobe reader has become so bloated.

I second Foxit!

For reading PDFs and even creating i wouldn't recommend using anything else.

R/S
Bro. MMD

• Members

Yes, it looks very helpful... I'll have to grab a PC with Windows on it and give it a try.

On Linux, PDF documents are very good, fast, robust, efficient. Sadly, Adobe just seems to be crippleware...

I completely understand you not liking them Jerry, just like me father--avoids them all together.

• Members

I use not to have this problem with PDFs.

Here sometime back it said I needed to update it, So I downloaded the new version of adobe reader, for a short time it worked just great, them it said I needed an update, the update would take more than 2 hours to download on my slow dial up.

The fox reader sounds great, but for just reading PDF's it seems silly to pay for such a thing.

So you see, its not a MS problem, its not my computers fault, but many want to jump to the conclusion everytime there is a problem on a M system, it a MS problem and quickly put down MS operating systems. That is so silly and shows a lack of understanding of computers and computer systems.

But some love to jump on the bandwagon at ever opportunity they see to put down MS.

• Members

Take 'er easy there Jerry.

Just kidding on the MS bash. I am a UNIX admin and sill have the need for MS systems. 3 laptops and a desktop at home have MS, I may be a UNIX person at work, but I use MS personally. It was a poke about the "removal of junk on a windows system" question. And besides, it is only an OS. I use whatever tools gets my stuff done.

The Foxit reader is free to use, there are other products that have a cost associated, just like Adobe does (but even those cost less than Adobe products). It just reads PDF files and is limited in functionality even compared to Adobe reader, but it is smaller and faster as an application. Adobe has gotten so bloated anymore. Kinda reminds me of Windows (oh, sorry. Strike that last comment).

• Members

When you click on "get it for free," it takes you to this page.

http://merchant.myofferpal.com/fis2inje ... woffers.pl

And tells you that it is free if you take up one of these offers. Each one of these offers cost money. So is that really free?

To me something that is free is totally free, a good example of that is the offer God has made to man thru Christ, its cost is free and its a true gift. But If I have to do anything, work for & or buy something to obtain it, them its no loner free nor can it be a gift.

That's why I made the comment I did.

OK, I clicked on download, its downloading, shall see.

• Members

I can see what you mean.

I have been using it for several months now, and have not paid, or been asked to pay, anything.

For a simple PDF reader, that's fine.

If you want some of the more advanced features, then you need to pay. But for looking at a PDF, no problems.

Edit
If you go down 2/3 of the page, it says "Free Reader" and explains the basics and what additional add-ons can be purchased. This is, the free version, basically a viewer and will print PDFs. That's about it.

• Members
How to get rid of the junk on a new Windows PC

http://www.computerworld.com/action/art ... Id=9017206

This might help someone, I feel most of you realize when you buy a new computer it has much junk loaded on it that you don't want on it. This might be just what your looking for.

The way my husband and I rid ourselves of the junk which is loaded (at no additional cost :loll: ) on new Windows PCs, we build our own computers. That way we KNOW what's on the hard drive cause WE put it on there.

Just my :2cents

• Members

Recently I bought a new eMachine off of ebay. It came with a bunch of trial software preloaded. I created the restore disks and then wipe out the hard drive. After creating new partitions, I reinstalled only the operating system and the necessary hardware drivers. No more trial software! I didn't even have to register XP with Microsoft. Below are the specs:

3.06 Ghz Pentium 4
1024 MB RAM (originally came with 512 MB)
160 GB Hard Drive
320 GB Hard Drive (added on for extra space)
250 GB WD Book Drive (USB) (added on for extra space)
16X DL DVD Burner
48X CD Burner (added on)
9 in 1 Card Reader (Digital Media Manager)
Windows Media Center Edition 2005 (XP Pro SP2)