• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

9 years ago today

• Administrators
I am sorry. I didn't mean to start a debate about how much should be spent on a wedding.
I just always look back and laugh at ours because it was so messed up. I wasn't saying not spend a lot,etc. There is a middle road on everything.
I guess it was a senseless post anyway.
going to delete it.
sorry ya'll

It wasn't a senseless post! It was a great one...it just kinda got sidetracked!!

We were married in August. As I said, we had some problems the day before the ceremony, so we had to find a different pastor to marry us (my hubby's uncle is a pastor and he performed the ceremony), and a different place to have the wedding. So...we had the wedding outside in my in-law's yard. They had two trees that grew close enough together that they formed an arch. That's where we stood. There was no piano or organ, so my hubby's aunt stood at the window with a taped recording of the wedding march. :lol:

It was a beautiful, sunny day - it started to rain just as we were going to open our gifts, so we quickly brought everything in...and then it quit raining! :smile

As my parents stood in the receiving line, my dad was kind of in shock...he told us later he was beginning to wonder how many brothers my hubby had - he kept getting told, "I'm Randy's brother..." (he has 5)

We had a beautiful cake that a friend made as a wedding gift to us. And off we went on our honeymoon. We got married on a Saturday, and we went to Hocking Hills, OH and stayed in a cabin (The cabin wasn't ready until Sunday afternoon, so we stayed in a hotel and went to a new church on Sunday). It was fantastic!

• Members

The more people you invite, the more you have to pay. Between family, friends, churchfolk, coworkers, etc., having everybody there to witness a wedding really adds to the cost, especially feeding them, getting them in from out-of-state, clothing, decorations, etc.

I think there's biblical precedent of wedding celebrations being events--John 2. But at the same time, it's better to just get married as simply as possible than to spend a lifetime saving up for a big wedding, or to spend a lifetime in debt because of it.

I'm not of the opinion that we're going to be punished at the judgment seat for spending money on "non-essentials" like engagement rings or a pretty wedding dress. At the same time, we obviously must find a balance of doing things within our limits, seeking God's will about it, not going overboard and being frivolous/gaudy, etc.

• Members

Fun thread! :wedding:

We didn't spend all that much on our wedding and it was nice. It is easier to spend less when you shop around for bargains and have people who volunteer their services like doing the florals, etc. I also did some things myself.

We honeymooned in the Shenandoah Valley in Virginia! That area is so lovely; it is between two mountain ranges.

• Members

I love weddings. My folks paid for my wedding, but they didn't spend very much. My DH and I will be married 40 years this June. My wedding gown and veil cost a total of 85 dollars from the most expensive store in town. My sister was my bridesmaid and her dress was probably not more than 20 dollars. The 4 tier wedding cake was a gift from a family friend. Our wedding and reception were held at our church and our pastor performed the ceremony. A cousin's husband and my aunt took all the pictures. My cousin was the best man and his brothers were ushers. My DH's sisters took care of the guest book and helped with serving the cake and punch. They also kept track of who gave us what at the reception while we opened a mountain of gifts. I didn't have any bridal showers before-hand. After all that we went to the apartment we had rented a day or so before the wedding and went to church the next morning. We went on a short honeymoon a day or so later and came back and settled in to married life. CJP56.

• Members

haha, well, our "honeymoon" was nothing more than a trip to the zoo. I am NOT kidding!! LOL
That was all we could afford. Plus, we got married on a Friday and had to be back at work on Monday!!!

Someone asked if we were going on a second honeymoon for our 10th next year. I told them that no, the zoo in Alexandria Louisiana wasn't worth a 1000 mile trip!! LOL

• Members
My husband and I eloped - spent roughly $50 on the license and justice of the peace and I forget how much on a nice steak dinner afterwards. Here we are 14 years later still happily married! :lol

I WISH we had just gone to the JP. lol

• Members

Our "honeymoon" amounted to us driving to our new home several hours away (wife had not seen the place yet) and getting moved in. I did carry my wife across the threshold. We were so exhausted that day we didn't even consumate our marriage until the next day! :ooops :lol: :roll