• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Biblical Authority

Guest Guest

• Members

Many times God allows us to go thru situations to refine our humility in order to bring more glory to Himself. If she is late teens anyway, it will be a very short time before she is 18 or 21 and can move out and make her own decisions. In the meantime she can be a shining light for the LORD by being submissive in a very godly fashion. An attitude of grace and humility in the face of persecution has been known to break and melt the heart of even the hardest ogre.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

You said the girl respects her parents... but does she respect her stepfather? He is an authority in her life, though whether he has the parental authority or not, is not for me to answer. I've had 2 step-parents, and I was required to obey them all, parents, steps, but they never conflicted on any major issues, or on anything that couldn't be worked out, so I'm not sure about that. However, if the girl is not being respectful to her stepfather....

• Administrators

The sad thing is, once the first marriage was broken, and the second one initiated, there became two heads over the girl...the dad and the step-dad. If the mother has custody of the girl, the step-dad is the head of the home she is living in - even if the father pays child support. If the father and the mother both gave a blessing, that is good, but if the step-dad said no, biblically she is to obey the head of her home ~ regardless of his reasons... As has been stated, if she obeys with humility and grace, she can be a wonderful testimony to the step-dad. The Holy Spirit can really begin to do a work in this man through her obedience. If she were my friend, I would counsel her to obey her step-dad. She can explain to him that she really believes this is what God would have her do, and ask him to re-consider.

Maybe (not knowing the situation, this is a big maybe, but it is possible!) the step-dad isn't really on a power trip but would like to have his wishes considered. I say this because I know of several step-families where the step-parent is given no authority, no consideration in dealings with the step-children, and this creates anger in the step-parent.

• Members

"The first to plead his case seems right until another comes and examines him." NDV (New Dwayner Version somewhere in Proverbs)

I would be real careful with this as you probably are getting very one-sided data. Unless you can sit down with the step-father and understand his reasoning, its probably unfair to make assumptions. He may have some valid concerns.

And no, I am not here. :wink

• Administrators
"The first to plead his case seems right until another comes and examines him." NDV (New Dwayner Version somewhere in Proverbs)

I would be real careful with this as you probably are getting very one-sided data. Unless you can sit down with the step-father and understand his reasoning, its probably unfair to make assumptions. He may have some valid concerns.

And no, I am not here. :wink

Yep - that's why I included the last paragraph in my post. I have a step-dad, and I know the kind of grief I gave him when I was a teen-ager! And everyone that knew me thought I was great! :Green

• 14 years later...
  • Members
On 5/17/2007 at 1:22 PM, Guest Guest said:

Ok I have a question that a young lady asked me. Her mother is divorced and remarried, and her father is still living. She asked if she has to obey the step-father, she doesn't think she does because he is in no way related to her and is not her father. My husband and I agree because her father is still alive and God says divorce and remarriage is wrong therefore it is a wrong structure and he is not in authority, just the young lady's mother and real father.

Has anyone from the usa ever gone to China or Russia ? 

What law do they obey then, if it does not break a commandment ?  The USA law, or the law of the country they are in ?

• Members

No.   Someone else (I think the main admin) said he welcomes searching out old (so-called 'dead') threads,   several times when it came up from me or another poster.

===========================================================

"Hit a nerve" ?   Good.   The truth is too close for comfort ?   Good.   Let the Truth Prevail.

It shows when someone has a living active conscience , hot or cold,  or is luke warm.

Somewhere in The Book of Proverbs in Scripture:

On 6/20/2007 at 3:19 PM, dwayner79 said:

"The first to plead his case seems right until another comes and examines him."