• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Biblical opinions on all this "bipolar ADD ADHD" stuff???

• Members

Mental disorders are often caused by chemical imbalances in the brain which can be alleviated through prescription medication. That is proven scientific fact.

The Bible documents demonic possessions that resembled mental illness, but were not caused by chemical imbalance, and were alleviated through the saving grace of Jesus Christ. Once the demons left the body, the "patients" came to their right minds again, never to behave in a mentally disturbed manner again.

A person who has been saved cannot be demon possessed. It is a physical impossibility for two opposing spirits to inhabit one body - once the Holy Spirit enters in, the demons have no choice but to go. A person who has been saved can still have a mental disorder that requires medication, including such disorders as bipolar (manic-depression), ADD, and ADHD.

• Members

Something I just thought of... God cares about attitude, look at what the Israelites got just for complaining, he tells us to love others, be forgiving, be meek, etc. Is the majority of people on this stuff/pills just looking for an excuse for there behavior and the ones who really are chemically messed up just a small amount?? Because, honestly, how many solid Christians do you know that are on anti depressants??

• Members

I used to know a kid with severe ADHD problems. It's not fake. However, there are a bunch of kids who are diagnosed with it who shouldn't be. Probably far more shouldn't have the diagnosis than those who should.

• Members
What about depression and anti depressants?? Is there really such a thing??

Do you really have to ask this question? I've been depressed, it's not a joke, it's not something that's made up. Some of it is caused by chemical imbalances, some of it is caused by spiritual/emotional problems. Don't degrade those who are depressed by making light of what they're going through.

• Members

Much of that stuff is spiritual (though I am not saying all) - and all these drug prescriptions are an attempt to relieve the symptoms, not the problem itself - which is often sin, self-seeking, rebellion. Much that is called ADD and ADHD is simply a lack of discipline and self-control. If we raise our kids in front of a TV, a video game console, and a computer, is it any wonder they can't concentrate on mundane tasks and tasks that they are not interested in (such as old-fashioned work)? If you feed them eye candy all day long - whether in home, school, or church - is it any wonder why they won't sit still long enough to read a book or work on their homework?

By the way, Ritalin is just legalized speed...

Guest Guest

Charles Spurgeon suffered severe bouts of depression during his life. Some of this was caused by a fire that had happened in his church. William Cowper (best friend of John Newton and writer of some wonderful hymns like "There Is A Foundtain Filled With Blood") suffered bouts of psychosis and was hospitalized on many occassion. He would have feelings of doom. Horatio Spafford, the writer of the hymn "It Is Well With My Soul", lost his marbles and went to Jersusalem because he thought he was Jesus Christ. They found him dead of malaria in a cave. One of my best friends, a big reason I got saved was cause of his help and friendship, has suffered depression and ADD his whole life. He loves God just as much as anyone in here. An evangelist friend of mine has a saved sister that is bi-polar. A lot of this stuff is organic and some may be the cross that God has chosen for them.

As Paul has said, "Comfort the feeble minded."

Wil

• Members

I am not sure why so many children are depressed today. I think alot of it is broken families and being exposed to so much sin in the world at such young ages.

Several years ago I would have said that any depression or emotional problem could be solved by God. I still believe that God can heal, just like any other problem, but I am now leaning more towards hormones having a part of this. I do think that alot of chemical "imbalances" can be self-caused...similar to if you worry constantly you will have a constant flow of adrenaline, which is a hormonal imbalance. If someone is upset all the time, they can actually create their own habitual "chemical imbalance" which may even take serious measures to clear up. I do think many chemical imbalances are caused by habitual feelings of guilt, shame, or stress.

We have a guy in our church with severe mental/emotional issues and we believe most of it stems from the fact he has an extremely mental/emotional abusive dad. I also know a dear lady of God who has some problems with deep depression and I think alot of it could just be hormonal/circumstantial. At times also we can have reactions to certain regular medications...for instance blood pressure meds are known to make people tired, cranky, and etc. Some personalities are more prone to depression, especially extremely intelligent personalities like CH Spurgeon...probably because they think more and the more the mind mulls over things, the more it is possible to get depressed IMO.

I do NOT think drugs are a catch-all fix. I think drugs should ONLY be used as a last resort, when the patient has tried everything else and failed and it is severely affecting their quality of life. Many problems CAN be solved by God. Then, if drugs must be used, they should be used as an attempt to get the person back in "working order" rather than a permanent fixture throughout the rest of their life, if possible.

• Members

If the world we lived in was a pure as the Garden of Eden I do not think we would have any ADD, ADHD, Bi Polar, Autism, etc. etc. etc. God did not create humans to have mental illnesses.

I think that as a whole the human race has been bent on polluting the planet God gave us ever since they were cast out of the Garden - and after several thousand years our planet is hostile to the human organism that God created. I think chemicals like mercury, lead, dioxins, etc., have gotten into our food supplies, our water supplies, the air we breathe, and so forth to the point that it causes all of these changes in our bodies chemistry and that is why you see all of these problems in people. Not to even mention the ones who get involved in recreational drug use who have screwed up their genes with cocaine, crack, marijuana, alcohol, and other dope. If you go to "undeveloped nations" that do not have the amount of polution that industrial nations have, you will not see nearly the level of mental illnesses as we have in our country. Countries that do not have serious drug and alcohol addiction problems do not have the same problems with mental illnesses either.

God did not create us to have mental health problems but through our own genetic mutations and by pollution at our own hands the human race has become impure and not at all like the perfect humans God created with Adam and Eve. However, even though we are not perfect, He still loves us anyways, AMEN!

• Members

Hmmm just a theory but I think part of our problem is our way of life. Undeveloped countries do not have "mental problems" per se because they are used to being born and dying in a difficult way of life. They do not have leisure time to analyze their problems. They wake up, work hard, go to bed...die. No such thing as "post traumatic stress disorder" because their entire life is one big stress and they know no different.

However here in America we are taught to constantly analyze/compare/sum up/improve/ etc our lives. We worry about appearances, money, the future, etc. We are spoiled and then when things are taken away we stress. I think some of it is just lifestyle rather than chemicals.

• Members

There are many reasons for these disorders. IM4given, you are right it can be a chemical imbalance. Some of the conditions are inherited. Science has really helped us to see that there is much more to it than a stigma. I don't believe that it should be treated much different than any other illness.

God truly is the healer of all our diseases. Scripture has shown us that there are times that God may choose not remove our illnesses and He has taught us that His grace is suffiecient in these situations.

Guest Guest
Undeveloped countries do not have "mental problems" per se because they are used to being born and dying in a difficult way of life. They do not have leisure time to analyze their problems. They wake up, work hard, go to bed...die. No such thing as "post traumatic stress disorder" because their entire life is one big stress and they know no different.

This is so true. When your day is spent trying to "survive" you tend not to have time to worry about a lot of things. Also, finding someone else with bigger problems then you to help sometimes helps you. Trusting is God's forgiveness for your past is necessary also. Cutting back on the TV in my life has been a great factor in fighting depression.

Wil