• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• Members

Here is something interesting I came across. Just started reading this book and I noticed that Jude makes reference of it:

Jude
14 And Enoch also, the seventh from Adam, prophesied of these, saying, Behold, the Lord cometh with ten thousands of his saints,

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I believe one of the requirements for being in the canon was it had to have every word preserved. There are some words that have gone missing through time. But it certainly is an interesting read. I just started reading it. Kinda gives ya the whole picture of what happened before the flood. The english translators, though, have certainly put their calvinistic tendencies into their translation. So proceed with caution. :peek:

• Members
God took him before writing was invented. :Bolt:

I believe portions of the book of Enoch were found with the dead sea scrolls. That would put them before Jude was written.

Also, I wasn't around before the flood so I don't know whether writing existed or not. If it wasn't, that sure was a lot of names to remember.

• Members

I have always wondered why it wasn't included in Scripture too. As well as whatever book "Jannes and Jambres" was in.

Where can you get the book of Enoch? Is that in a Catholic Bible?

• Members

The Book of Jude also says that Michael the Archangel didn't acuse the devil over the body of Moses. That is not in the Old Testament either. So how did Jude know it happened? Did there need to be a "book of Michael the Archangel"?

• Members
The Book of Jude also says that Michael the Archangel didn't acuse the devil over the body of Moses. That is not in the Old Testament either. So how did Jude know it happened? Did there need to be a "book of Michael the Archangel"?

According to Origen and Dydimus he "knew" or was quoting that from a different book of antiquity. The book was called "The Assumption of Moses". However, we only have fragments of that also today. God didn't preserve it completely so it isn't important to us. However, it may have been very important to the children of Israel.

It is interesting to read those books of antiquity for insights. However, I wouldn't attempt to draw doctrine from one(except the very portions which are retained in our Bible such as Jude 14 and 15).

• Members

Ummm,...knowledge of bible canonization is not my forte. So I'll make an attempt using just scripture.

2 Timothy 3:16 - All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness.

2 Peter 1:21 - For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost. :smile

Love,
Madeline

• Members
Ummm,...knowledge of bible canonization is not my forte. So I'll make an attempt using just scripture.

2 Timothy 3:16 - All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness.

2 Peter 1:21 - For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost. :smile

Love,
Madeline

So........
Are you saying that the "book of Enoch"...is scripture?

• Members
:dunno: You asked "So how did Jude know it happened?"

I didn't ask the question, looking for a direct answer.
The answer is:
There does not need to be a book of Enoch for Jude to write it down anymore than Moses needed a "Book of the Creation", "The Story of the Flood", or "The Chronicles of Abraham. Isaac, and Jacob" to write about them. Remember, those things happened hundreds of years before Moses. God told Moses what to write, and He told Jude as well.

I just read some of "The Book of Enoch", and the story of the "angels crossing with women" baloney is in there. That must be where the science fiction tale originated.
I say that the book of Enoch, is a hoax, written by men, and not even a part of any inspired scripture.(ducking in a corner to avoid lightening strike) :peek:
I'll just stick with the King James Bible, thanks.