• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Slumps, Crumbles, Cobblers and Grunts ---

• Members
---like siblings whose parents had an odd sense of humor share more than just strange names. As with many siblings, their differences are mostly on the surface (or in the crust). Dig below the surface and you'll find that they're really just variations on the same theme --- a homey and soul-satisfying deep-dish fruit pie.

***Real cobblers are topped with a pastry.

***Grunts are topped with a biscuit dough that has been steamed.

***Slumps are also topped with a baked biscuit

***Crumbles are topped with a buttery streusel.

The quote above was in our evening paper. :lol

I would be pleased to hear of your favorite recipes for summer fruits, which are in season right now.

Here are some recipes a well.

http://www.relishmag.com/cobbler

• Members

I'm not sure what this would qualify as...maybe a crumble...but it is :drool :drool :drool

1 - 21 oz. can cherry pie filling

1 Jiffy white cake mix

1 stick butter, melted

Pour pie filling into a buttered 8x8 square baking dish. Sprinkle cake mix over filling. Pour melted butter over all. Bake at 350* for approximately 30 minutes.

• Members
I'm not sure what this would qualify as...maybe a crumble...but it is :drool :drool :drool

1 Jiffy white cake mix

1 stick butter, melted

Pour pie filling into a buttered 8x8 square baking dish. Sprinkle cake mix over filling. Pour melted butter over all. Bake at 350* for approximately 30 minutes.

YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMY!!!!!!!!!! :drool :drool :drool

Many thx, Jessica. :thumb :lol

• Administrators

1 Jiffy white cake mix

1 stick butter, melted

Yeah, this is great! The nice thing about this is you can use any kind of fruit, and actually any kind of cake mix. Try strawberries and use chocolate cake mix. :drool

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

1 Jiffy white cake mix

1 stick butter, melted

I know this probably won't sound too appealing, but I've heard something with that description you gave called a "dump cake" (because the cake mix was dumped over the fruit). I've made one before, and it was very good -- however instead of using already melted butter, I just arranged thin pats of butter all over the top of the dry cake mix. I think melted butter would work better, but the method I used turned out fine too. :wink

• Members

Since strawberries abound here, I like to take a plain white or yellow cake mix and make it according to directions. I take a pint of strawberries and mush them up slightly, just so they have some juice running and then I mix that with whipped topping. When the cake is cooled, I spread the berry/topping mix around instead of frosting.

Mmmm, yummy!

• Administrators
Since strawberries abound here, I like to take a plain white or yellow cake mix and make it according to directions. I take a pint of strawberries and mush them up slightly, just so they have some juice running and then I mix that with whipped topping. When the cake is cooled, I spread the berry/topping mix around instead of frosting.

Mmmm, yummy!

:drool