• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• Members

I don't understand either! If it is about the differences in the names, that is easily explained by the original Hebrew that was translated in the OT. The name today, obviously wasn't translated out of the Hebrew...they are Lebanese. If it is the fact that it still exsists, it is because it is part of one of many two-fold prophecies in the OT. Part of Tyre was an island connected by a bridge in ancient times, that is until Alexander the Great invaded and destroyed the bridge and everything on the island. The last part of the prophecy will occur in the future.

• Members

Sorry, haven't had a chance to post today.

Here's what I found,

If we look in Jonah we see this written:

Jonah 2:6 I went down to the bottoms of the mountains; the earth with her bars was about me for ever: yet hast thou brought up my life from corruption, O LORD my God.

That word "for ever" in the Hebrew is the same word that is used in Ezekiel. Here we see that it means for a long period of time. Obviously Jonah did not remain in the whale forever(as in our modern vernacular: time without end) or he wouldn't have had opportunity to write the book of Jonah.

The same thing with Tyre(Tyrus). This scripture is saying that for a long time they would not be inhabited. And that has been fulfilled.

Guest Guest
Sorry, haven't had a chance to post today.

Here's what I found,

If we look in Jonah we see this written:

Jonah 2:6 I went down to the bottoms of the mountains; the earth with her bars was about me for ever: yet hast thou brought up my life from corruption, O LORD my God.

That word "for ever" in the Hebrew is the same word that is used in Ezekiel. Here we see that it means for a long period of time. Obviously Jonah did not remain in the whale forever(as in our modern vernacular: time without end) or he wouldn't have had opportunity to write the book of Jonah.

The same thing with Tyre(Tyrus). This scripture is saying that for a long time they would not be inhabited. And that has been fulfilled.

Yes, this is verse that Campbellites use to disprove eternal hell. The truth is is that this is a prayer of those in "hell" , i.e. Abrahams Bosom. (Jonah 2:2) The "bars" would have been about him forever but since he was a type of Christ he was "resurrected." The bars would have been about all the OT saints FOREVER if Christ didn't spend three days and nights in the heart of the earth (Matt. 12:40), preach to spirits in prison (I Peter 3:18-21) and lead "captivity captive." But you see they wouldn't have known this.

For you Greek-a-phites, check out what the word "gulf" (Luke 16:26) means in the Greek. It's the same word for whale. "Out of the belly of the whale cried I."

Wil

• Members

The destruction of Tyre is a very amazing prophecy. Even historically, it is amazing, even had it not been foretold by Ezekiel.

The prophecy summarized: Nebuchadnezzar would defeat and plunder Tyre; another nation (the they of verse 12) would break down Tyre's walls and ?lay [its] stones and [its] timber and [its] dust in the midst of the water;? and Tyre would exist no more. Its dust would be scraped, and it would be ?a place for the spreading of nets in the midst of the sea.? Three years after the prophecy was made, Nedbuchadnezzar beseiged Tyre for thirteen years, in which time its residents fled to a nearby island, which they also called Tyre. Everybody thought the prophecy had failed because the city wasn't scraped into the sea (although it was defeated and plundered), but 240 years later, Alexander the Great beseiged the new island city. To do this, his army threw the stone and timber of the old city into the sea, building a 200-foot-wide, half-mile-long land bridge, scraping even the dust of the old city. This bridge still exists today, and fishermen ?spread their nets to dry? on what what was old Tyre?never rebuilt. An astounding fulfillment! (See Ezekiel 26.)

The apparent problem is resolved when we realize the location of the old mainland city of Tyre, which Nedbuchadnezzar beseiged and Alexander literally scraped into the sea to build a land bridge, has never been rebuilt. Once under seige, the citizens of old mainland Tyre fled to the nearby island, and also called it Tyre. Tyre has since expanded, since Alexander turned the island into a peninsula (!!), but the original site wasn't rebuilt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Tyre

Guest Guest
The destruction of Tyre is a very amazing prophecy. Even historically, it is amazing, even had it not been foretold by Ezekiel.

The prophecy summarized: Nebuchadnezzar would defeat and plunder Tyre; another nation (the they of verse 12) would break down Tyre's walls and ?lay [its] stones and [its] timber and [its] dust in the midst of the water;? and Tyre would exist no more. Its dust would be scraped, and it would be ?a place for the spreading of nets in the midst of the sea.? Three years after the prophecy was made, Nedbuchadnezzar beseiged Tyre for thirteen years, in which time its residents fled to a nearby island, which they also called Tyre. Everybody thought the prophecy had failed because the city wasn't scraped into the sea (although it was defeated and plundered), but 240 years later, Alexander the Great beseiged the new island city. To do this, his army threw the stone and timber of the old city into the sea, building a 200-foot-wide, half-mile-long land bridge, scraping even the dust of the old city. This bridge still exists today, and fishermen ?spread their nets to dry? on what what was old Tyre?never rebuilt. An astounding fulfillment! (See Ezekiel 26.)

The apparent problem is resolved when we realize the location of the old mainland city of Tyre, which Nedbuchadnezzar beseiged and Alexander literally scraped into the sea to build a land bridge, has never been rebuilt. Once under seige, the citizens of old mainland Tyre fled to the nearby island, and also called it Tyre. Tyre has since expanded, since Alexander turned the island into a peninsula (!!), but the original site wasn't rebuilt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Tyre

Argh Matey! This may be true but the text said that Nebuchadrezzar , not Alexander, would leave the place a "spreading of the nets." TYPES AND PREFIGUREMENTS brother.

Wil

• Members
For you Greek-a-phites' date=' check out what the word "gulf" (Luke 16:26) means in the Greek. It's the same word for whale. "Out of the belly of the whale cried I."[/quote']

Hm, not on this planet... The word for gulf is: chasma, where we get our word chasm from. The word for whale/fish in the NT is ketos. There is an entirely different word in the OT.

• Members

Wil,

Are you a baptist? One of the historical baptist approach to studying the Bible is we take it LITERALLY unless indicated otherwise. You certainly cannot be taking that approach if all you do is write off every scripture as pictures and types that don't "really" have to be fulfilled in reality.

I have noticed that in your replies you only read a post to criticize it, and many times you take a stance that against something that the poster wasn't even in support of. I would ask, like I have before, that you take your time reading a post BEFORE you reply.

Proverbs 14:29 He that is slow to wrath is of great understanding: but he that is hasty of spirit exalteth folly.

• Members

Argh Matey! This may be true but the text said that Nebuchadrezzar , not Alexander, would leave the place a "spreading of the nets." TYPES AND PREFIGUREMENTS brother.

Wil

No it doesn't, captain.

Therefore thus saith the Lord GOD; Behold, I am against thee, O Tyrus, and will cause many nations to come up against thee, as the sea causeth his waves to come up. And they shall destroy the walls of Tyrus, and break down her towers: I will also scrape her dust from her, and make her like the top of a rock. It shall be a place for the spreading of nets in the midst of the sea: for I have spoken it, saith the Lord GOD: and it shall become a spoil to the nations.
(Ezekiel 26:3-5)

Guest Guest
Wil,

Are you a baptist? One of the historical baptist approach to studying the Bible is we take it LITERALLY unless indicated otherwise. You certainly cannot be taking that approach if all you do is write off every scripture as pictures and types that don't "really" have to be fulfilled in reality.

I have noticed that in your replies you only read a post to criticize it, and many times you take a stance that against something that the poster wasn't even in support of. I would ask, like I have before, that you take your time reading a post BEFORE you reply.

Proverbs 14:29 He that is slow to wrath is of great understanding: but he that is hasty of spirit exalteth folly.

I don't really care about the "historical baptist approach" brother. I didn't write nothing off. The event WAS fulfilled histrorically but it will be fulfilled AGAIN prophetically. There's more to the OT then nice little Sunday School lessons brother. But since you can't see that Jonah was a TYPE of Christ's resurrection (especially after Jesus said he was) then I don't know what to say. But I'll give you one more Prefigurement brother.

<< Joel 2 >>

1 Blow ye the trumpet in Zion, and sound an alarm in my holy mountain: let all the inhabitants of the land tremble: for the day of the LORD cometh, for it is nigh at hand;
2 A day of darkness and of gloominess, a day of clouds and of thick darkness, as the morning spread upon the mountains: a great people and a strong; there hath not been ever the like, neither shall be any more after it, even to the years of many generations.
3 A fire devoureth before them; and behind them a flame burneth: the land is as the garden of Eden before them, and behind them a desolate wilderness; yea, and nothing shall escape them.
4 The appearance of them is as the appearance of horses; and as horsemen, so shall they run.
5 Like the noise of chariots on the tops of mountains shall they leap, like the noise of a flame of fire that devoureth the stubble, as a strong people set in battle array.
6 Before their face the people shall be much pained: all faces shall gather blackness.
7 They shall run like mighty men; they shall climb the wall like men of war; and they shall march every one on his ways, and they shall not break their ranks:
8 Neither shall one thrust another; they shall walk every one in his path: and when they fall upon the sword, they shall not be wounded.
9 They shall run to and fro in the city; they shall run upon the wall, they shall climb up upon the houses; they shall enter in at the windows like a thief.
10 The earth shall quake before them; the heavens shall tremble: the sun and the moon shall be dark, and the stars shall withdraw their shining:
11 And the LORD shall utter his voice before his army: for his camp is very great: for he is strong that executeth his word: for the day of the LORD is great and very terrible; and who can abide it?

You see these verses. Historically it was Nebuchadrezzar (king of kings) being "led of God" to punish Judah. But you bet your historical brider position that it's also a PREFIGUREMENT of THEE KING OF KINGS leading his army against the world at his glorious second coming. This is DOCTRINALLY still to be fulfilled. Now read the verses carefully before you answer brother.

Wil

PS Just about every historical event in the OT is a Prefigurement of something that will happen again. Ex. Israel coming out of "Eygpt" again by signs and wonders. As Jesus said, "AS IN THE DAYS OF NOAH SO SHALL IT BE IN THE DAYS OF THE SON OF MAN."