• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

[Book] The Grand Weaver Ravi Zacharias

• Members

I recently finished the book for the second time in a 4 or 5 month period and my wife has just finished it as well. I must say that it is of excellent quality and majors on how "God shapes us through the events of our lives". The illustrations are rich and powerful, his understanding of scripture is solid but the most important part of the book is his ability to enable the reader to focus on the events of their life as having been needed for Christ to make you who you are.

If you have struggled with why something has happened to you in your Christian walk this boook could very well be a great encouragement to you.

http://search.half.ebay.com/grand-weaver_W0QQmZbooks

orvals

PS There are two illustrations of which I am skeptical of.

• Members

I have read one of his books and have listened to him on radio and always enjoyed it, but then was told to stay away from apologetics. Also that Ravi had accepted mormons at one of his meetings. I'll have to look up the source. Is any of this true?

• Members

Hi Blosson,

I would not advertise something I felt was a spiritual danger to anyone.

Not sure about the Mormon thing but it is very unlikely. He is an apologist, that is not a bad thing so was Francis Schaefer. Ravi is evangelical meaning that his ecclesiastical separation is more accepting of other faiths (speaking main line here). I have listened to over one hundred of his messages and have found him refreshing and insightful but not confrontational. He is an intellectual and gets the opportunity to speak on many major college campuses (Harvard, Yale, Oxford etc) he also is invited to debate the existence of God and other theological interests.

He is not Baptist but I believe he is solid concerning basic theological doctrines but I would not bet my life on it. I am not sure of his denominational ties but do know that he will speak where ever he is invited including Methodist and Lutheran congregations.

In looking at the bios from his ministry team there are two Christian Alliance (A.W. Tozer realm) one Biola Grad, One Talbot and a Gordon-Cromwell grad. I believe the last 3 are Southern Baptist but I am not sure about Biola it could be independent.

As I said he is definitely not IFB, but let?s be honest how many writers are? Our theology books are written by Presbyterians and Reformed theologians and on every book shelf of every pastor set books that are not written by Baptists. I have books that are written by heretics, as well as many that are written by Calvinists (I am studying their doctrines), Universalists (Barclay) etc. I am sure you get the point.

We should be well enough versed in scripture to recognize when something does not sound right when reading it and if it does not sound right do some research and ask some questions. There is always someone who is willing to give their opinion on something that you are questioning.

orvals

• Members
I have read one of his books and have listened to him on radio and always enjoyed it' date=' but then was told to stay away from apologetics. Also that Ravi had accepted mormons at one of his meetings. I'll have to look up the source. Is any of this true?[/quote']

Ravi has not only allowed Mormons at his discussions, he's encouraged atheists and other non-believers and really puts their feet to the fire with the Gospel of Christ. While he is very civil when debating them (similar to the Apostle Paul in the book of Acts); he is also very strong for salvation by faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.