• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Is foot-washing scriptural?

• Members

I can see where the covering could have some ground to stand on, and perhaps the holy kiss to an extent, but not the foot washing since it's clear that the foot washing was given as an example of humbling oneself and being a servant to all.

Also, with regards to the holy kiss, I see nothing in Scripture that says such a kiss should be a lips-to-lips kiss. Such a practice seems contrary to other portions of Scripture.

• Administrators
I can see where the covering could have some ground to stand on, and perhaps the holy kiss to an extent, but not the foot washing since it's clear that the foot washing was given as an example of humbling oneself and being a servant to all.

Also, with regards to the holy kiss, I see nothing in Scripture that says such a kiss should be a lips-to-lips kiss. Such a practice seems contrary to other portions of Scripture.

Yep! No way my husband would approve of men "greeting me with a holy kiss" smack on the lips...methinks that kind of greeting could get out of hand and become unholy right quick!

• Members

I think the actual act of feet washing in this case was something that was cultural to that time. as their feet would get dusty but the principal as john said is that we are to be humble and not think that any action is below us.

• Members
So we can pride ourselves on obeying scripture, but I guess we still sorta pick what we like?
So that's why, along with believer's baptism and remembrance communion they practice feet washing and the holy kiss and wearing of the covering.

1 Corinthians 11 states that a woman's hair is her covering - so there is no explaining away of Scripture in that regard.

John 13's primary focus is on forgiveness and being a servant - that still applies today. THAT is what Jesus was commanding, not the footwashing.

As far as the holy kiss - was it a command, or was Paul telling some of his friends to do it? Was it a command for all Christians everywhere to kiss all other Christians they meet and greet? Or is it teaching us to be friendly and go out of our way to greet other believers? The way we greet people here in North America is by handshaking.

• Members
So are we supposed to be foot-washing' date=' hair-covering, face-kissing Baptists then? I think I need to pray about this some more! :pray[/quote']

:gross:

Hope not cuz I hate feet and I hate kissing anyone that isnt' family so...I'm in trouble if so!

• Members

Jhn 13:4 He riseth from supper, and laid aside his garments; and took a towel, and girded himself.
Jhn 13:5 After that he poureth water into a bason, and began to wash the disciples' feet, and to wipe [them] with the towel wherewith he was girded.
Jhn 13:7 Jesus answered and said unto him, What I do thou knowest not now; but thou shalt know hereafter.
Jhn 13:14 If I then, [your] Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another's feet.
Jhn 13:15 For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you.
Jhn 13:16 Verily, verily, I say unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord; neither he that is sent greater than he that sent him.
Jhn 13:17 If ye know these things, happy are ye if ye do them.

Being spiritually reared in the independent fundamental Baptist movement, I, too, was taught that Jesus was merely giving an example that we should serve one another with humility as he did, and this text does imply that. However, it also says we are blessed if we do it (footwashing) also.

I beg your pardon in advance this is lengthy, but bear with me. I visited a church several years ago that practiced footwashing (the holy kiss too, we'll slay that giant later,) and I was able to observe. The men separated from the women and went into a fellowship hall. The ladies gathered in the back of the auditorium and began singing hymns, and to be quite honest, it sounded like the angels singing.

The men sat in a large circle and took off their shoes and socks, humbling? yes, but this is a teaching about humility and brotherly love. I watched as men began going to a brother, asking if he could wash his feet, and going to one of two #2 metal basins. The first brother knelt and began washing the others feet and blessing him and praying for him and his family. When he was done they swapped places and the other brother washing the first's as well. Upon drying his feet with towel that was beside the basin, the brothers arose, embraced, and occasionally gave a kiss on the side of their manly bearded cheek. I want to insert, these were manly men, they were construction workers, farmers, and tradesmen of various types. I knew them personally and they were godly men who lead their homes and were exemplary in the church as well as the community.

One brother asked if he could wash another brothers feet and they headed for the basin. The one kneeling looked up with tears in his eyes and confessed that he was wrong in a disagreement they had over some issue and humbly asked for forgiveness. Needless to say they were instantly reconciled in such an atmosphere of brotherly love and humility.

I saw that it did a world of good among the men of the church as well as to the fellowship at large.

We, are a bit too RED, WHITE, AND BLUE, John Wayne, guns a blazin', baseball, hot dogs, apple pie, (and, yes, Chevrolet,) American. Unfortunately, it has cause us to read the Bible through red, white, and blue, colored glasses and we oft say, "That is not for our culture," or something like that. This can be an excuse for not obeying the word of God.

This issue is not, "Do I like this?" but, "Am I going to obey clear commands in scripture?" If we are not going to obey here, where else are we going to culturally justify disobedience to scripture? And, if we lead by this example should we be let down when our children and the next generation of Christians sink to greater depths of disobedience.

Should we practice the "HOLY" kiss?

Rom 16:16 Salute one another with an holy kiss. The churches of Christ salute you.
1Cr 16:20 All the brethren greet you. Greet ye one another with an holy kiss.
2Cr 13:12 Greet one another with an holy kiss.
1Th 5:26 Greet all the brethren with an holy kiss.
1Pe 5:14 Greet ye one another with a kiss of charity. Peace [be] with you all that are in Christ Jesus. Amen.

O.k., if I have heard this once, I have heard it a dozen times, (this is the firey preacher lettin' it rip,) "If God said it once, that's good enough, BUT, if he says it more than once, you'd better pay attention!" You've heard that, haven't you? Well, FIVE times God (he inspired scripture for all peoples throughout all ages,) said, greet the brethren with an holy kiss. You decided who you are going to obey.

Again, I saw this pracitced, brothers with brothers, sisters with sisters, ONLY AND ALWAYS, (just to be clear.) Always on the cheek, and never carried away to some imagined perversion. It is called a holy kiss because it is. I know the quotes from the early church fathers are not scripture, but they are a testimony to the practice regular in the church and Christian community at large in the early centuries.

The problem with these things are they are not "Baptist," but they are Bible, so we need to take off the red, white, and blue, 2007 issue glasses, and let God be true and all men liars. I know introduction of this in most (99.9%) churches would lead to all out war (God forbid if you introduced head covering.) But, I would encourage those of you who are students of the word AND disciples of Christ to prayerfully and carefully consider these things.

Points to ponder,
Bro. Ben

• Members
Suzy our Christians need to be obedient to the word of God.

This is true. But I do not see where foot washing is an ordinance. One of the main Baptist distinctives is "TWO ordinances", baptism and the Lord's Supper. Jesus told us to have the Lord's Supper in remembrance of Him, not wash feet.

I'm not saying its wrong to do it, but its not a Biblical mandate either.

• Members

It is not an ordinance, no one said it is. It is merely a Christian grace to be practiced by Christians just as you would love your neighbor, teach your children, etc. It is a Christian discipline, not an ordinance. I don't take food to the poor every day or every Sunday, but I do it when lead by the Spirit because it is a Christian grace, not an ordinance.

• Members
Jhn 13:4 He riseth from supper, and laid aside his garments; and took a towel, and girded himself.
Jhn 13:5 After that he poureth water into a bason, and began to wash the disciples' feet, and to wipe [them] with the towel wherewith he was girded.
Jhn 13:7 Jesus answered and said unto him, What I do thou knowest not now; but thou shalt know hereafter.
Jhn 13:14 If I then, [your] Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another's feet.
Jhn 13:15 For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you.
Jhn 13:16 Verily, verily, I say unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord; neither he that is sent greater than he that sent him.

Being spiritually reared in the independent fundamental Baptist movement, I, too, was taught that Jesus was merely giving an example that we should serve one another with humility as he did, and this text does imply that. However, it also says we are blessed if we do it (footwashing) also.

I beg your pardon in advance this is lengthy, but bear with me. I visited a church several years ago that practiced footwashing (the holy kiss too, we'll slay that giant later,) and I was able to observe. The men separated from the women and went into a fellowship hall. The ladies gathered in the back of the auditorium and began singing hymns, and to be quite honest, it sounded like the angels singing.

The men sat in a large circle and took off their shoes and socks, humbling? yes, but this is a teaching about humility and brotherly love. I watched as men began going to a brother, asking if he could wash his feet, and going to one of two #2 metal basins. The first brother knelt and began washing the others feet and blessing him and praying for him and his family. When he was done they swapped places and the other brother washing the first's as well. Upon drying his feet with towel that was beside the basin, the brothers arose, embraced, and occasionally gave a kiss on the side of their manly bearded cheek. I want to insert, these were manly men, they were construction workers, farmers, and tradesmen of various types. I knew them personally and they were godly men who lead their homes and were exemplary in the church as well as the community.

One brother asked if he could wash another brothers feet and they headed for the basin. The one kneeling looked up with tears in his eyes and confessed that he was wrong in a disagreement they had over some issue and humbly asked for forgiveness. Needless to say they were instantly reconciled in such an atmosphere of brotherly love and humility.

I saw that it did a world of good among the men of the church as well as to the fellowship at large.

We, are a bit too RED, WHITE, AND BLUE, John Wayne, guns a blazin', baseball, hot dogs, apple pie, (and, yes, Chevrolet,) American. Unfortunately, it has cause us to read the Bible through red, white, and blue, colored glasses and we oft say, "That is not for our culture," or something like that. This can be an excuse for not obeying the word of God.

This issue is not, "Do I like this?" but, "Am I going to obey clear commands in scripture?" If we are not going to obey here, where else are we going to culturally justify disobedience to scripture? And, if we lead by this example should we be let down when our children and the next generation of Christians sink to greater depths of disobedience.

Should we practice the "HOLY" kiss?

Rom 16:16 Salute one another with an holy kiss. The churches of Christ salute you.
1Cr 16:20 All the brethren greet you. Greet ye one another with an holy kiss.
2Cr 13:12 Greet one another with an holy kiss.
1Th 5:26 Greet all the brethren with an holy kiss.
1Pe 5:14 Greet ye one another with a kiss of charity. Peace [be] with you all that are in Christ Jesus. Amen.

O.k., if I have heard this once, I have heard it a dozen times, (this is the firey preacher lettin' it rip,) "If God said it once, that's good enough, BUT, if he says it more than once, you'd better pay attention!" You've heard that, haven't you? Well, FIVE times God (he inspired scripture for all peoples throughout all ages,) said, greet the brethren with an holy kiss. You decided who you are going to obey.

Again, I saw this pracitced, brothers with brothers, sisters with sisters, ONLY AND ALWAYS, (just to be clear.) Always on the cheek, and never carried away to some imagined perversion. It is called a holy kiss because it is. I know the quotes from the early church fathers are not scripture, but they are a testimony to the practice regular in the church and Christian community at large in the early centuries.

The problem with these things are they are not "Baptist," but they are Bible, so we need to take off the red, white, and blue, 2007 issue glasses, and let God be true and all men liars. I know introduction of this in most (99.9%) churches would lead to all out war (God forbid if you introduced head covering.) But, I would encourage those of you who are students of the word AND disciples of Christ to prayerfully and carefully consider these things.

Points to ponder,
Bro. Ben

:goodpost:

• Members
It is not an ordinance' date=' no one said it is. It is merely a Christian grace to be practiced by Christians just as you would love your neighbor, teach your children, etc. It is a Christian discipline, not an ordinance. I don't take food to the poor every day or every Sunday, but I do it when lead by the Spirit because it is a Christian grace, not an ordinance.[/quote']

:amen: Thank you for your most thoughtful insight into my question! Thankyou Bro. Ben!

• Members

What is the primary context of the whole chapter, and what is Jesus commanding us to do in John 13? To forgive one another - to wash one another's feet spiritually. I very much keep that command.

• Members

But foot washing had a practical application back then...dusty dirty feet. Just like today, we greet one another with a handshake instead of a holy kiss. Maybe today we pick someone up and give them a ride to church instead of wash their freshly showered feet?