• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Is foot-washing scriptural?

• Members

As I was researching something else, I ran across a website about Primitive Baptists. It had a Frequently asked Q & A about Primitive Baptists. My question is, is the practice of foot-washing scriptural and if so why don't IFBs practice foot washing - or maybe your church does practice it? I have never been in a church that could be called "foot-washing baptists."

John explains that, at the end of the Last Supper, the Lord began to wash the feet of the disciples. After performing this great act of humility, the Lord said, If I then, your Lord and master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another's feet. For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done unto you (Jn 13:14-15). Primitive Baptists understand that this commandment is to be followed in literal detail as well as in spirit. Many will dismiss these actions of Jesus as being no more than symbolic gestures; however, these same persons understand the last supper to be a literal example. We fail to see the consistency in this. If we are to take one as a symbolic gesture, we must take the other as being such also. Conversely, if the Lord intended literal observance of the last supper, then literal observance must have been intended for feet washing as well. The scriptures leave no doubt that the last supper is to be literally observed (I Cor 10:16-21, I Cor 11:23-30). I Tim 5:9-10 indicates that feet washing was practiced by the New Testament church. Neither this text nor the example of Jesus can be dismissed as a cultural phenomenon since texts describing the cultural practice of feet washing have individuals washing their own feet (Gen 43:24, Judges 19:21, Song 5:3). Unfortunately, such plain reasoning is easily obscured by human vanity, yet it was this very vanity that Jesus would have us destroy in the act of feet washing.

Question: Why do Primitive Baptists wash feet during communion?

• Members

The foot washing was done as an example to show that we should each be the servant of one another. The point of the foot washing was not that we should wash one anothers feet, but rather that we should be willing to humble ourselves and give of ourselves for the sake of others. We are not to think we are "too good" to perform this or that service for others or to believe we are entitled to have others do for us what we wouldn't be willing to do for them.

• Members

Some denominations see the example of foot washing as a third ordinance of the church. Although early Christians washed feet as an act of hospitality (1 Tim. 5;10), they never practiced this as a church ordinance. The real meaning of Jesus' action was twofold. First, washing feet was a slave's task, so Jesus washed the disciples' feet out of humility, attempting to teach them the principle of servant leadership. Second, foot washing symbolized cleansing. Although Christians are clean, having been "bathed" with the washing of regeneration (Tit. 3:5), sins committed after salvation "soil our feet," hindering our fellowship with God and renewing the need for a cleansing to restore fellowship. When a Christian senses sin in his life, he should confess this sin to God, who will forgive and cleanse (1 Jn. 1:9). Jesus said, "He that is washed" - referring to salvation - "needeth not save to wash his feet" - cleansing for renewed fellowship. He could not get saved again - "Ye are clean."

Love,
Madeline

• Members

When I was in the Mennonite Church we practiced footwashing alongside communion (well we washed feet first~men and women were separated for this~then did communion) and found it to be an enriching experience. They use scriptures for the ordinance, but it is not a required practice.

Also they practiced the "Holy Kiss". Yeah, I sorta passed on that one myself opting instead for the "Holy Hug" :cool Seeing two old Mennonite farmers kiss each other on the lips was kinda odd for me the first time I saw it. The older generation would pair off with each other and we younger generation would pair off for this during the feetwashing. The old timers would kiss when they greeted each other on Sunday mornings.

Now in the Old Order Mennonites I guess they're still a kissin'.

Hey, Paul said greet each other with a holy kiss, so they take it literally.

• Members
When I was in the Mennonite Church we practiced footwashing alongside communion (well we washed feet first~men and women were separated for this~then did communion) and found it to be an enriching experience. They use scriptures for the ordinance, but it is not a required practice.

Also they practiced the "Holy Kiss". Yeah, I sorta passed on that one myself opting instead for the "Holy Hug" :cool Seeing two old Mennonite farmers kiss each other on the lips was kinda odd for me the first time I saw it. The older generation would pair off with each other and we younger generation would pair off for this during the feetwashing. The old timers would kiss when they greeted each other on Sunday mornings.

Now in the Old Order Mennonites I guess they're still a kissin'.

Hey, Paul said greet each other with a holy kiss, so they take it literally.

A lot of conservative Mennonites still practice the holy kiss, but not all do so on the lips, many do so on the cheek.

• Members

Technically, one could say that the "holy kiss" is a command. :Green

Sure, just like "Take Mark, and bring him with thee...." What if I don't know a guy named Mark? :Green

• Members

Sure, just like "Take Mark, and bring him with thee...." What if I don't know a guy named Mark? :Green

Well...the holy kiss was a command right? Given to a church right? So where does that leave us now?

• Members

Okay now this is the FIRST time I have ever heard anyone say anything about a "holy kiss." Not being a "touchy-feely" type of person I never knew this was a commandment in the Bible! I generally greet people with a polite handshake or a light hug, and a cheek kiss if they are someone special to me. I wonder if this is where the custom of kissing the hand came from?

Romans 16:16 Salute one another with an holy kiss. The churches of Christ salute you.
1 Corinthians 16:20 All the brethren greet you. Greet ye one another with an holy kiss.
2 Corinthians 13:12 Greet one another with an holy kiss.
1 Thessalonians 5:26 Greet all the brethren with an holy kiss.

• Members
Some denominations see the example of foot washing as a third ordinance of the church. Although early Christians washed feet as an act of hospitality (1 Tim. 5;10)' date=' they never practiced this as a church ordinance. The real meaning of Jesus' action was twofold. First, washing feet was a slave's task, so Jesus washed the disciples' feet out of [b']humility, attempting to teach them the principle of servant leadership. Second, foot washing symbolized cleansing. Although Christians are clean, having been "bathed" with the washing of regeneration (Tit. 3:5), sins committed after salvation "soil our feet," hindering our fellowship with God and renewing the need for a cleansing to restore fellowship. When a Christian senses sin in his life, he should confess this sin to God, who will forgive and cleanse (1 Jn. 1:9). Jesus said, "He that is washed" - referring to salvation - "needeth not save to wash his feet" - cleansing for renewed fellowship. He could not get saved again - "Ye are clean."

Love,
Madeline

Have you ever written any of the articles for Wikipedia? If you haven't maybe you should start! I mean that in a GOOD way! :thumb :clap:

• Members
Romans 16:16 Salute one another with an holy kiss. The churches of Christ salute you.

How is this a command for the modern day church? :puzzled:

There were some personal things written at the end of each epistle, I don't believe those were commands.

• Administrators

The Enterprise Baptists (my MIL's church is part of them) practice footwashing. She enjoys it greatly, and feels that we are sinning because we don't practice it. My husband has tried to explain to her that this was an example (very well put, BTW, Madeline!), and that it is not a sin to do, but it is not necessary to practice, either.

We have some friends who are missionaries in Belarus, and he said that when he first got there, he was greeted with a "holy kiss" by one of the brethren there - smack on the lips. Ugghh! :lol: In a lot of places, greeting with a kiss is done by air kissing both sides of the face...that would be more tolerable to me. But I don't think it was included as a command for us to do!

• Members
Okay now this is the FIRST time I have ever heard anyone say anything about a "holy kiss." Not being a "touchy-feely" type of person I never knew this was a commandment in the Bible! I generally greet people with a polite handshake or a light hug, and a cheek kiss if they are someone special to me. I wonder if this is where the custom of kissing the hand came from?

1 Corinthians 16:20 All the brethren greet you. Greet ye one another with an holy kiss.
2 Corinthians 13:12 Greet one another with an holy kiss.
1 Thessalonians 5:26 Greet all the brethren with an holy kiss.

Yup those are the verses...but we can explain them away as "cultural"? That's what Quakers do with baptism, that is was something just for "back then". It's also how the covering (which the plain mennonites still wear) is explained away.

So we can pride ourselves on obeying scripture, but I guess we still sorta pick what we like?

There was an old mennonite preacher named George Brunk II and I remember a quote of his regarding interpretation:

"If the literal sense makes sense then it's nonsense to use any other sense." So that's why, along with believer's baptism and remembrance communion they practice feet washing and the holy kiss and wearing of the covering.