• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

A Convert

• Members

So I am finally at home, and my wife is at a CPR class, so I have some free time on the computer. I am catching up on all the threads, but I wanted to post.

Our computer died last week (Actually a hardware problem, he computer works, but the lid will not stay open). So we finally broke down and purchased a new laptop. I must say, the MacBook is realllllly nice.

:Green

• Members
So I am finally at home, and my wife is at a CPR class, so I have some free time on the computer. I am catching up on all the threads, but I wanted to post.

Our computer died last week (Actually a hardware problem, he computer works, but the lid will not stay open). So we finally broke down and purchased a new laptop. I must say, the MacBook is realllllly nice.

:Green

One of the first things I did after purchasing my first mac was to configure the right mouse button in system preferences as the secondary button. I think you will enjoy OSX
Randy

• Members

I've never owned a laptop or an Apple computer. My daughter has a laptop, but I don't remember what kind she bought.

The only Apple computer I've ever used was the old Apple II in an office I worked in. When they upgraded a few years after I started, they didn't upgrade with Apple.

• Members

The first computer I've ever used was an Apple //e, with those big dual 5.25" floppy drives sandwiched between the green screen and keyboard/case. Then my uncle gave us a relatively new PC, a Packard Bell 486 (worth thousands back then). During this time, I also used an Apple//gs (WITH COLOR SCREEN!). After that it was Mac workstations that I used in my Jr. High TechLab2000 (I was also an assistant the next year, and had access to the almighty administration workstation- a PowerPC).

During this this time, my grandpa got a Sony VAIO PI-300MHz (came factory overclocked), and this was when I fell in love with PCs. It was fast. It had Windows 95 Plus! It also had a whopping 32MB of RAM, and a 2MB ATi RAGE graphics card. This was where I played my first real 3D accelerated game- MechWarrior II. After that, there has always been occasional run ins with Macs (mostly through school). Then came a Compaq Presario 5170, PII-350MHz, 128MB RAM, 4MB ATi RAGE 3D, and Windows 98 (when it first came out). I started using dial-up email on this (no Internet until a few years later). After that, my dad got a free PeoplePC (HP Pavilion, PIII-800MHz, 128MB RAM, WindowsME [that was new too]).

Then I finally was able to build and buy my own PC when I graduated high school. Athlon XP 2000+, 256MB RAM, 32MB TNT2 M64, 2x20GB RAID0, DVD, CDRW, Windows XP. Then I built another Athlon XP system (I eventually gave it to my little bro), and then I built a dual Athlon MP server (I sold it and eventually moved to a rented VPS), then a Compaq Presario V2000Z laptop that helped me through college (parents have it), and then an HP Pavilion DV6305US laptop I bought just for entertainment (big mistake- I was on hold for 70 minutes today while waiting to talk to my case manager about a replacement, only to be disconnected).

I've had various garage sale and garbage-picked computers in between all these, but not for long. I'm typing on my original Athlon XP system that I built about 5 years ago, and it's still going strong. I've upgraded everything in it except for the motherboard (which was replaced under warranty) and the processor.

I said all that to say this: I'm actually a convert from Mac to PC to Mac and then to PC. If Apple could release a relatively nice system at a reasonable price, I would get one. But I still find the best deals (and most satisfaction) with homebuilt PCs.

• Members
:goodpost:

Kubel, I defintely understand, however I find my priorities changing drastically. I no longer have the time and energy for a toy (to take apart, upgrade, tweek, etc.) like I used to. Ask me a few years ago, and I would have posted word for word, but I am coming to the realization, that I simply have no time at all for that anymore. What I need more then anything in this season in my life is a computer that does not require much TLC. I need stuff to just work for me and my (not as computer literate) wife. Amazingly, I have found the Mac OS to do just that.

• Members

I just purchased Windows XP home edition with SP2b to put on my Intel Imac with bootcamp 1.3 so I could play my window games. I would state windows is the better enviroment with directx for gaming. The windows install disc was packaged 5/16/2007 according to the OEM sticker on the shipping package. The software date on the DVD was 2002 version. I thought microsoft could do better at releasing more updated discs as 81 updates downloaded from microsoft. I went to print something today in windows and when I plugged my hp laserjet 1300 into the USB slot windows wanted drivers. With OSX I just plugged the printer in and the printer showed up "hp laser jet 1300". It is of course much easier to control the interaction between hardware and software when you are the only MFG. , but I like OSX. OSX doesn't have a registry. You don't like a program, just delete the file. I do like building systems and if apple released OSX to install on any intel PC I would go that route.

Randy